- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- Sliced pineapple, 6 canned slices or fresh pineapples
- 15-20 maraschino cherries
- 1 + 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature preferred
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- To prepare the topping, place the melted butter onto a 9 inch pie die or a 9 x 2 inch round cake pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar into the pan and top with the pineapple slices. Arrange the cherries between the pineapple slices and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together and set it aside. In another large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in the sugars vigorously, trying to remove any lumps. Whisk in the egg, yogurt, milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract until everything is well combined.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix until there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes then cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for another 20 to 28 minutes. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a cake stand or a large serving plate and serve.
Source: Sally's Baking Addiction
Photo credit: Maurina Rara on Flickr