- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Green sugar crystals, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter or margarine and brown sugar in a medium bowl until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour and salt and blend everything together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick using a rollin pin.
- Using a 3 inch Shamrock cookie cutter, cut the cookies and place then on ungreased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Re-roll the leftover dough and keep cutting the dough with the cookie cutter.
- Sprinkle the green sugar crystals on the cookies.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cookies are pale golden and not brown. Let it stand for 2 minutes and remove the cookies to a rack to cool completely
Photo credit: beaumontpete on Flickr