- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and shortening together.
- Add the sugar, in small increments and mix. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating continuously.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and add the ingredients into the butter mixture. Alternate adding the flour and the milk. Add the vanilla in and mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured tube ban. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
Source: Food Network
Photo credit: Eliza Adam on Flickr