- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened puffed wheat cereal
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips or finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 300 F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, allowing it to hang over on two sides.
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oats and dried cherries or cranberries; toss.
- Add the honey, vanilla and salt to a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the salt dissolves. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the chocolate to the mixture and fold in until distributed evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan. Using the back of a fork, press the mixture to flatten.
- Cover the mixture with the hanging parchment paper and press firmly.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- To avoid sticking, run a knife along the unlined sides of the pan. Allow the bars to cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 1 hour.
- Remove the bars from the pan by lifting the parchment paper, then gently peel the paper off. Cut into 16 even bars.
Source: Eating Well
Photo credit: megan.chromik on Flickr