- 1 1/4 cups French lentils, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 whole-wheat or gluten-free hamburger buns
- In a medium stockpot, add the lentils with enough water to cover by 2-3 inches. Cover, bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 20-25 minutes, until tender. Drain lentils.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5-7 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the bell peppers and saute for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the cumin, paprika, brown sugar, and jalapeño. Cook for 1 minutes, then add the tomato sauce and water. Season to taste with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the sloppy joe mixture. Season to taste and cook for 5 minutes longer, until the flavors have blended.
- Scoop the sloppy joe mixture into the hamburger buns and serve.