- 1 large russet potato, peeled
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp grated onion or 1 Shallot
- 1 egg white
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- Fill a bowl with cold water to set aside. Grate the potatoes and place them it in the cold water. Let the potatoes sit in the water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the water and with a potato ricer or a lint free towel, squeeze out the excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, flour, onion, egg white, salt, and pepper.
- On a large nonstick skillet, pour oil to coat the bottom and preheat it over medium high heat.
- Add 1/3 cup potato at a time onto the skillet and flatten it as much as possible using a spatula. Cook the potato for 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until brown and crispy.
Source: Laura in the Kitchen
Photo credit: jeffreyw on Flickr