- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cherry juice blend
- 4 cup fresh tart cherries, pitted or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5-7 Tbsp cold water
- Combine the sugar and the cornstarch in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in the cherry juice until everything is smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir for about 2 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Add the cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg, and extract into the saucepan and set the filling aside.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the shortening until the dry ingredients become crumbly.
- Gradually add cold water and toss the flour using a fork until a ball forms. Divide the pastry in half so that one ball is slightly bigger than the other.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the larger dough to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place the rolled out dough onto the pie plate and trim it to evenly fit the plate. Add the filling onto the dough.
- Roll out the other dough to make a lattice crust. Trim and seal the dough onto the pie. Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 375 F and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let it cool before serving.
Source: Taste of Home
Photo credit: Benny Mazur on Flickr