Teen With Nut Allergy Dies After Eating Cookie

Cameron Groezinger-Fitzpatrick died last week after eating a cookie made with peanut oil. The 19-year-old college freshman had a severe peanut allergy.

His mother, Robin Fitzpatrick, recently spoke about her son's death with ABCNews.com. "We were all so shocked, it came out of nowhere," she commented.

He was first diagnosed with the allergy at the age of 8, after he became sick when eating Chinese food. Once, he suffered a severe allergic reaction after accidentally dropping his asthma inhaler into a pile of acorns on the ground.

How the Fatal Reaction Happened

According to his mother, Cameron had just returned home on Spring Break. He and a friend went out for the evening and bought cookies. His friend ate one first and said he didn't taste even a hint of peanuts. He reportedly assured Cameron that the cookie did not contain nuts. But within minutes, Cameron was doubled over in pain.

The teens returned to his home, where his mom pulled an Epi-Pen out of the cupboard. However, it had expired several months ago, and emergency responders told her over the phone that she shouldn't try to use it. Cameron was rushed to the hospital, where he died that evening.

Cameron's Legacy

"He always wanted to do something big," said his mother. "He's going out big. He's going to make others realize [they need to] be supercautious. Be your biggest advocate."

Source: Good Morning America

Community

More Articles

You might have wondered if small amounts of an ingredient can be added to a food product without being declared on the food’s label. The FDA...

Is it possible to eat your way to a food allergy cure? Scientists think it’s...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Not all oils are created equal. Some oils are high in saturated fats or in trans-fatty acids – not good for general health. Some are partially...

It may never be safe to begin feeding peanut butter to your baby or toddler if you have peanut allergies in your family. If either parent or one...

More Articles

More Articles

What is a peanut allergy? It is a reaction that occurs in the body after eating peanuts or peanut...

For those with severe food allergies, flying can be a stressful process. Here are...

Approximately one out of 13 children under age 18 are allergic to at least one food, though many of them will outgrow their allergy by the age of...

Fact 1: Over a third of food allergy reactions happen after the first known oral...

The reason why some people are affected by allergies while others are not begins in their genes. Allergies are passed down from generation to...

Here’s a tip that might someday save your life, or that of a loved one: two to four times a year, review the proper way to use your epinephrine...

Lactose intolerance is the inability to process lactose, a sugar found in milk, caused by the lack of a needed enzyme. Those with lactose...

Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA)

An important part of peanut allergy awareness was enacted on January 1, 2006...

Tomato allergies are very rare. They are a "type 1 allergy," which means a contact allergy. When a person with this type of allergy touches a...

Milk allergies are becoming more common, especially in babies and small children. There is some confusion about what is an allergic reaction and...

Recognizing food allergy in babies or toddlers is not always easy, but there are specific risk factors and signs that parents and other caregivers...

Burlap bags are often used to store and ship coffee beans, potatoes, rice, seeds, nuts, and peanuts. They can be one of the disguised...

People with pollen allergies need to stay away from some foods. If you have allergic rhinitis in the spring or fall, you may not realize that you...

Of course, everyone knows that if you have a peanut allergy that you should avoid peanuts, peanut butter, peanut butter cookies and foods that...

Eating at a nut-free lunch table in school is a safety precaution that causes some students to feel isolated from their peers. Unfortunately,...