Minnesota Family Sues Restaurant After Son Dies of Allergic Reaction to Pancakes

A Minnesota restaurant is being sued by the family of a 16-year-old boy who died after experiencing a severe allergic reaction to the eatery's pancakes.

The boy had a severe dairy allergy, and the family claims the wait staff assured them that the pancakes were dairy-free.

The Minnesota Nice Cafe, which serves several allergen-free meals, listed the pancakes as a dairy-free, gluten-free vegan alternative.

The lawsuit is for incurred medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages.

The 16-year-old forgot to bring his EpiPen

The incident happened in June, when the boy's mother, Cindy Johnson, took her son to the cafe for brunch. After being assured that the pancakes were free of dairy, they ordered the meal and ate.

Almost immediately after the meal, Cindy could see something was wrong with Scott. He had forgotten his EpiPen, so the two rushed home a few blocks away and administered it. When his condition failed to improve, Cindy called 911.

When paramedics arrived, Scott was unresponsive but alive and was rushed to the hospital. He died three days later.

The restaurant told a local news station that they could not comment on the lawsuit.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

Top Forum Categories

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.