Restaurant Owner Convicted Of Manslaughter After Food Allergy Death

A pub owner went to a soccer game and then ate at an Indian food restaurant near York, England in 2014. He died shortly afterward from anaphylactic shock and the restaurant owner was convicted of manslaughter and jailed for six years.

Paul Wilson, who was 38 at the time of his death, was allergic to peanuts and in the United Kingdom, restaurant owners - even for takeout - are required to announce any allergens to customers. They are also required to have proper food allergy training and certification and display that certification in their establishment where customers can see it.

Forged Food Safety Certificate

Mohammed Zaman, the owner of the Indian Garden restaurant, had forged his food safety training certificate and employed an undocumented worker at the restaurant. When Mr. Wilson entered and received his food, he was not informed of allergens and may have been told that the food was safe for him. He later died in his hotel room after eating the food.

Mr. Zaman filed for an appeal in 2017 to cut down his sentence but a court in London rejected his bid for an appeal.

Photo: Pixabay

Top Forum Categories

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Are you tired of serving fresh-cut fruits and veggies as a healthy snack? Sure, there's nothing wrong with these options, but they can get boring...

Are you craving cake? Perhaps there's an upcoming birthday...

In the United States, there are no lines of ice cream that are dedicated to being nut-free....

Molecular allergy component testing identifies the specific food or environmental proteins triggering a person’s allergic reactions. Component...

Fact 1: Over a third of food allergy reactions happen after the first known oral...