Food Allergy Death at School - Peanut Allergy Information

Food Allergy Death at School

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0
bus.jpg

The Chicago Sun Times recently announced that 13-year-old Katelyn Carlson died from anaphylaxis on Friday.

Carlson, who was allergic to peanuts, was hospitalized just after 1:30 p.m. Friday after she suffered an allergic reaction to a food she ate at her Northwest Side school in Chicago.

Emergency crews took Carlson to Swedish Covenant Hospital in serious-to-critical condition. She was later transferred to Children’s Memorial Hospital. According to the medical examiner’s office, at 5:40 p.m. she was pronounced dead. An autopsy revealed her death was caused by anaphylaxis.

Chicago Public School spokeswoman Monique Bond shared that the district has no formal policy on the use of emergency medication such as EpiPens. Instead, the school district staff rely on 504 plans (individual student health plans) when emergencies arise.

Sadly Carlon's death comes less than a month before formal policies regarding food allergies are to be implemented in all Illinois schools.

According to the board of education's website; each school board is required to implement a policy based on guidelines that were previously developed, by January 1st.

____________________________________________________________ Ruth LovettSmith is the mother of a child with multiple life threatening food allergies and founder of Best Allergy Sites: Your Food Allergy and Gluten Free Guide http://www.bestallergysites.com/

Related