Ritas

Posted on: Tue, 07/06/1999 - 7:14am
Lynda's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/08/1999 - 09:00

Hi Everyone! Hope all enjoyed the holiday. Recently our teen daughter went with other family members to Rita's Italian Ice before meeting with us for a family graduation. She and my niece decided to have the PB Italian Ice, not associating it with peanuts since it was ice. Both girls washed there hands just in case before meeting us. Shortly after they arrived, my daughter picked up our 19 month old peanut anaphylaxis son and hugged and kissed him. He immediately began with the eye swelling welts, vessels in the eyes enlarging, scratching and crankiness. I couldn't figure out why until my daughter told me of their outing prior to our gathering. I immediately gave him the benadryl and prayed not to use the Epi-pen as it was my other sons graduation. After about 25 minutes, the symptoms gradually disappeared. I explained to my daughter that residue is also left in the mouth and on the lips. She felt terrible. I also told them NO more Rita's PB Italian Ice. If it says pb or nut it probably is. I was grateful that his breathing wasn't distressed as in the past severe anaphlaxis reaction. Lynda

Posted on: Tue, 07/06/1999 - 9:02am
Noreen's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/24/1999 - 09:00

I'm glad your son is okay, Lynda, and that his symptoms resolved fairly quickly. Whenever my son has reactions I take time the next day to review what went wrong, what I learned from the experience, and what precautions I can take to prevent such reactions from happening again. In the case of your son, you now know he reacts when kissed by someone who has eaten peanut products. Better that you found out now while you were right there to set things right than when he's off to preschool or kindergarten. I'd be sure and include this sensitivity in his 504 plan once he does enter school.
Noreen

Posted on: Tue, 07/06/1999 - 9:12am
Lynda's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/08/1999 - 09:00

Noreen...Thanks for your reply. I thought all peanut allergic persons were sensitive to being kissed by someone who had eaten peanut product? I certainly will include this in his 504. It is wonderful to have such caring people to share with. Lynda

Posted on: Tue, 07/06/1999 - 2:15pm
ElizabethsMom's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/17/1999 - 09:00

Hi Lynda,
Not to scare you but to just pass on some information. I recently attended a lecture by a University of Wisconsin Madison MD specializing in Food Allergies. The audience was entirely physicians except my mother and I (she is an administrator at the hospital) and the goal was to educate MD's about precautions and protocols regarding food allergy diagnosis and treatment. I pass this on because it was news to me. Perhaps you are aware of this and have addressed it already with your physician....
He strongly warned the MDs that there are TWO actual phases in a food allergy reaction. The first when the food is immediately ingested, the second when it hits the lower GI tract. The lower GI tract phase, typically one to two hours later, can be just as severe. He recommended that those who experience strong food allergy reactions should seek emergency care for observation for several hours after ingestion in order to prevent a second anaphylactic reaction from occuring when Bendadryl or another drug masks the symptoms. He stressed that deaths have happened as a result of the patient mistakenly believing the reaction had stopped when it had not.
Hope this helps you stay safe - best of luck
------------------
Kristin

Posted on: Wed, 07/07/1999 - 1:29am
SteveW's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/08/1999 - 09:00

Kristin,
You said in your post that there are two "actual" phases in a anaphylactic reaction. Are you referring to a biphasic reaction? If you are, then not all reactions are biphasic. Because there is the possibility of a biphasic reaction, patients are typically (or should be) observed for at least two hours after the original reaction.

Posted on: Fri, 07/09/1999 - 11:20pm
Lynda's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/08/1999 - 09:00

Kristin: There is truth in what you are saying. I have to stop being in denial as to using the Epi-Pen. I don't really want to use it. Sean has had several accidental exposures between the eggs and peanuts. It has been difficult with the other children (3 siblings) forgetting. I constantly remind them. Each time, I pray that the Benadryl works but I probably should inject him anyway. I guess in this case "Better Safe then Sorry". Thanks Lynda

Posted on: Thu, 07/22/2004 - 11:23pm
SF's picture
SF
Offline
Joined: 06/06/2002 - 09:00

I noticed that this is an old thread and wanted to give an update:
I contacted Ritas Water Ice this morning and was told that they do not have any loose peanuts or nuts as a topping in their facilities. Also they said the only nut containing product that they have is a walnut item that is made on a seperate line.
They explained that there is no chance of cross contamination and they they are very allergy aware as they receive numerous calls concerning peanut/nut allergies.
Here is the email I also received from Rita's:
We do not use any peanut or peanut by products in our stores. Several years ago we did have a Chocolate Peanut Butter Italian Ice. This product was dropped from the stores partially because of concerns with peanut allergies and the need to keep all of the peanut products, utensils etc. segregated from the other products and equipment. At this time there are no other products in the stores that would cause a concern. The only potential concern would be if an employee was bringing something into the store that had nuts in it. (I.e. Lunch)
Thanks for contacting us.
Ken Moran
Vice President of Operations
Rita's Water Ice Franchise Corp
[url="http://www.ritas.com"]www.ritas.com[/url]
800-677-7482
[This message has been edited by SF (edited July 23, 2004).]

Posted on: Wed, 04/20/2011 - 4:15am
fahtas's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/20/2011 - 11:12

VERRRRY IMPORTANT As of April 2011 Rita's is serving peanut butter italian ice and is no longer a safe place to eat!!!!! I spoke with rita's help line and they are forcing all of the stores to carry the product for at least a month. What a shame because our child really liked rita's and many birthday parties went there because it was a safe place.

Posted on: Tue, 03/13/2007 - 12:23pm
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

One just opened near my house and my son loves it! Hopefully you can get back there soon. YUMMY!

Posted on: Tue, 03/13/2007 - 1:39pm
Chicago's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2001 - 09:00

What(and where)is Ritas?

Posted on: Wed, 03/14/2007 - 12:25pm
VariegatedRB's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/23/2005 - 09:00

Totally PN/treenut free Italian Ice. They also have PN/treenut free frozen custard. It is SOOO good. I think it is way better than DQ.
They are in the eastern US.
[url="http://www.ritasice.com"]www.ritasice.com[/url]
Tara P

Pages

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Halloween can be treacherous for a child with a peanut allergy and a parent who is trying to stay...

What kid doesn't love dressing up in a costume and going door to door on Halloween night, and collecting a bag full of candy? Unfortunately, this...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

For those with peanut allergies, baked goods present a serious risk. Many baked goods do not appear to contain peanuts, yet were baked in a...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...