Swimming pools

Posted on: Sun, 05/07/2000 - 4:36pm
issa's picture
Joined: 04/24/2000 - 09:00

hello everyone, iI am interested in hearing from anyone that may have experienced what I did this weekend. My PA son who is 31/2 went swimming in an indoor hotel pool. Afterwards he developed a few hives. I didn't think much about it, just thought might have been something he ate, so I gave him Benadryl and continued our day. Later that evening we went swimming again. This time I noticed when he came out of the pool that he had hives again, mostly on his torso but on his feet and forearms as well. Rinsed him off really well. benadryl again and cortaid relieved the itching. Then a few hours later ( he was asleep) he woke and vomitted. No other signs of illness. So now that I have typed souch a long description, I guess my question would be has any one experienced hives and vomitting from an indoor pool? He swims in numerous types of pools and this was his first negative experience. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks


Posted on: Sun, 05/07/2000 - 10:01pm
morgansmom's picture
Joined: 04/29/2000 - 09:00

pHi there!/p
pI'm not sure exactly what your son reacted too, but I do know about swimming pools./p
pI have taken many swimming pool operator courses, and know that lots of different types of bacteria can live in the pool if not taken care of properly. Possibly molds./p
pAfter taking these courses and learning about all of the different types of bacteria, most operators of public pools refuse to swim in hotel pools./p
pJust a thought!/p

Posted on: Sun, 05/07/2000 - 11:08pm
mkruby's picture
Joined: 05/01/2000 - 09:00

pHi...did you contact the hotel management and ask them about the levels of the pool? I am not an expert, but after reading the reply above, I know what she is talking about. I saw a special on I think 20/20 that told of kids getting e-coli and dying after swimming in public pools. I think the reply above has it right about molds. I would suppose too, that if someone had peanut on their skin and went swimming there, if chlorine levels were not what they should be, I supppose that could be a remote possibility. Have you tested your child for molds? That seems the most likely reasoning for the breakout./p

Posted on: Sat, 05/05/2007 - 4:28am
JacksonsMom's picture
Joined: 07/21/2002 - 09:00

This is something that I personally don't worry about. Unless there were actual peanuts floating around in the water (which I have seen once at a swim - up pool bar in Puerto Rico ! ). But no, the tiny amount of residue that could be left on a kids hands or face in the thousands of gallons of water in a swimming pool - it would seem impossible that it could cause a problem.
Just my opinion! And I do tend to worry about most situations, just never worried about the pool.

Posted on: Sat, 05/05/2007 - 4:38am
McCobbre's picture
Joined: 04/16/2005 - 09:00

Nope--no worries in a situation like that. You're very lucky your pool doesn't allow food.
Chlorine bleach is one of the things that breaks down peanut protein and cleans a surface. It should be doing its job there. Really, pee is more of a consideration in a pool kids are swimming in. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]
Our Y does allow food and does sell peanut-containing food. But we should be heading there this weekend. We just avoid, and we take the epis. The pool is too fun to miss, and we are always with DS. Now, when he is of the age where he can go by himself, that will be another thing altogether. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/eek.gif[/img]

Posted on: Sat, 05/05/2007 - 8:18am
chanda4's picture
Joined: 12/14/2006 - 09:00

I did leave our pool last summer because a mom was allowing her 3-ish year olds stuck their fingers in a big jar of peanut butter and lick it off...then get in the pool....talk about gross and dangerous! The clorine would hopefully kill any residue, but I just couldn't deal with the kids being covered in it at the moment so we just headed home. I wish our pool wouldn't allow food!!!
Chanda(mother of 4)
Sidney-8 (beef and chocolate, grasses, molds, weeds, guinea pig & asthma)
Jake-6 (peanut, all tree nuts, eggs, trees, grasses, weeds, molds, cats, dogs, guinea pig & eczema & asthma)
Carson-3 1/2 (milk, soy, egg, beef and pork, cats, dog, guinea pig and EE)
Savannah-1 (milk and egg)

Posted on: Sat, 05/05/2007 - 11:14am
lilanne's picture
Joined: 11/02/2006 - 09:00

Thanks to all!

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...