why....

Posted on: Thu, 07/05/2007 - 9:00am
16pamom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2007 - 09:00

yesterday my 15 daughter was at a friends house and got stung--she is highly allergic to bees and many others. she has been stung many times and knows she must use the epi before any symtoms, but this time she decided to wait for a while until she could not breathe i got a call from her freinds mom so i rushed over and she looked awful, so i gave her the epi and called 911. she is still in the hospital she has had a total of four, one in rescue, one in the er, one when the admitted her and another a few hours ago. has anyone had a reaction lasting this long to bees. she has had them last days from peanuts. i am at a loss. she missed all the fireworks. i hate seeing her like this.do you ever wonder WHY this is happening to you and not someone eles is kids,?
at what age do you start letting them handle this on their own, she wants to take the braclet off, and she keeps say that she is not a child when i check on her?
staci mom of
kim- pa,tna, bees, pork, milk,seasame, shellfish, lemon, mfa

Posted on: Thu, 07/05/2007 - 10:00am
mistey's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2004 - 09:00

Wow. I am so sorry that this happened and I hope she has a speedy recovery. My son isn't allergic to bees, so I don't have any advice.
As far as getting upset because MY kid has so many health problems, yes I used to get down about it. But then we almost lost him a couple of years ago and now we just really cherish the time we have together. We all feel this way at times, but then we can always realize how many other diseases there are in the world and thank God for that fact that our child ONLY has what they have.
I'll keep Kim in my prayers.

Posted on: Thu, 07/05/2007 - 10:18am
Sarahb's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/22/2007 - 09:00

Maybe after this she will be more careful?

Posted on: Thu, 07/05/2007 - 10:27am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

I know how you feel. I think we all ask that at times and I find myself a little jealous of my friends who can just let their kids go and not worry about the things that we have to worry about.
On the bright side, maybe this will be a wake-up call to her and she will be quicker to give herself the epi. Sorry that you are going through such a hard time and I hope your daughter is on the mend soon.

Posted on: Thu, 07/05/2007 - 10:36am
16pamom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2007 - 09:00

thank you all
i hope that she will be more careful after this. i just dont understand why she did not do the epi her self or tell someone too give it too her. she is not afraid of needles, she went through chemo and all the shots for her cancer a few years back, she is soo strong.
thank you i feel better knowing i am not the only one so scared all the time
staci

Posted on: Thu, 07/05/2007 - 11:04am
Jana R's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/09/1999 - 09:00

My son is 19 now - he doesn't like the bracelet either - but he does where a necklace alert. I know the bracelet is prefered but I don't have to push him to wear the necklace tag like I did with the bracelet.
I'm so sorry she went through another severe reaction.
------------------
Jana
[url="http://www.seattlefoodallergy.org"]www.seattlefoodallergy.org[/url]

Posted on: Thu, 07/05/2007 - 12:25pm
Daisy's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006 - 09:00

So sorry to hear about your DD. I am allergic to wasps and this often keeps me from spending time in my garden when my DH is not at the house (just in case). I don't want my DD (10) to have this kind of responsibility if it can be helped.
Have you called your allergist about her current situation? Is she on steroids?
1. Maybe this will be a wake-up call for her. Have her Allergist give her the "what for" when she's well enough.
2. Dr. Laura said something that has stuck with me for years. "It's not that I don't trust *you*; I don't trust *any* teenager." Good advice for a variety of situations, and reminds the child/teen that this goes for anyone, not just them.
3. Medic Alert has several cute colored emblems w/ beaded bracelets. Not too expensive. Perhaps this would offer more of a selection for a teen.
{{{HUGS}}} and best wishes for a good recovery,
Daisy

Posted on: Fri, 07/06/2007 - 1:14am
saknjmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/02/2003 - 09:00

I posted earlier, but it's not there!!!!
I am very sorry for this frightening incident.
I would explain that the bracelet is MORE important as she gets older as she gains independence. It will speak for her if she for some reason cannot and if she is not in the company of people who are aware of her allergies.
There was a story somewhat recently about a man in a diabetic coma who didn't receive help because everyone assumed he was drunk. He ended up dying.
Also, I think possibly she didn't treat herself because maybe the reaction affected her thinking....I have a friend who is allergic to bee stings. After he was stung, he said he knew he had to get his epi pen, but for some reason, he couldn't quite do what his mind was telling him. His wife found him on the kitchen floor with his arm stuck in the freezer. He said the whole time he was just "wonky" and could not think clearly. Kind of like if you are sedated with valium. You know what's going on, but you don't care. Maybe that is why she didn't use her epi pen.
I hope she recovers quickly....I send hugs to you because this is hard to see as a mommy. Let us know how things go.

Posted on: Fri, 07/06/2007 - 5:20am
Claire's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/19/2000 - 09:00

I would think the reaction is lasting longer because she didn't get treatment as soon as she needed. I would check with my Dr for an answer however.
Glad she is ok.
No I never wondered why chris has PA, nothing I can do about it so he has been treated like a king wherever there is food.
He loves the special treatment the family gives him. He never says that but always loves family functions.
I just thank God he didn't get Cancer and only blessed us with PA. I watch our friend go through a brain tumor with their little guy. Thank God it isn't handed to us.

Posted on: Fri, 07/06/2007 - 6:16am
16pamom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2007 - 09:00

hi everyone thank you for your prayers and please cntinue to pray. things got really bad late last night today she is on an epinphern drip. she has been moved to the icu at childrens. the doctors keep trying to come up with an answer, everytime she tries to eat anything, not matter what she has had a reaction. i just dont understand. she has been throught enough in her lifetime. i just feeel so helpless
staci

Posted on: Fri, 07/06/2007 - 6:17am
saknjmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/02/2003 - 09:00

Oh, I am so sorry. You must be so worried and scared. Definitely will pray for her and your family. Keep us posted if you can.

Pages

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

If you’ve recently discovered a peanut allergy in your family, you may be wondering what on earth you are going to replace those peanut butter and...

For anyone who has had a peanut allergy diagnosis, it is necessary to avoid eating peanuts entirely. However,...

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

Are you tired of serving fresh-cut fruits and veggies as a healthy snack? Sure, there's nothing wrong with these options, but they can get boring...