2007 School Year Letter to Parents

Posted on: Sat, 09/01/2007 - 12:55am
x-contaminated's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/04/2004 - 09:00

Below is the letter to parents we are using this year which was created with lots of bits and pieces from others' on this site. my goal was to be as clear-cut as possible while still getting in vital information. Posting it as a resource for others but I'm also interested in your comments! Thanks.

Dear Families,

One of our students this year has a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. Our classroom is designated Peanut and Tree Nut Free because strict avoidance is the only way to prevent an allergic reaction.

What is anaphylaxis?

Anaphylaxis is a sudden, severe, allergic reaction that may cause death.

Can't the allergic child just not eat nuts?

Having the allergic child just avoid eating nut products is not enough. Life-threatening reactions are triggered not only by eating the allergen, but also by coming in contact with an item that has nut residue on it. Simply touching a desk or chair that had been used by someone who had eaten peanut butter can lead to anaphylaxis in the allergic child.

Thank you for your understanding in making a safe and successful school experience for everyone.

Posted on: Sat, 09/01/2007 - 2:43am
lilpig99's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/22/2005 - 09:00

You are not really asking them to do anything it seems. WHile it is obvious to *us* that nut-free room mean a nut-free room...there is a behavior associated with that outcome and that is *not bringing in items containing nuts*. I wouldn't underestimate the fact that most people need to really have it spelled out for them.
And does your teacher and you have direction on what will happen if those items do get into the classroom? Now is the time to let parents know. If you can work it out of course!
Just my 2 cents [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
[This message has been edited by lilpig99 (edited September 01, 2007).]

Posted on: Sun, 09/02/2007 - 10:10pm
x-contaminated's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/04/2004 - 09:00

*light bulb goes on above head* THANK YOU- you're absolutely right. I will spell it out further. To me, it says nuts are absolutely not allowed but for someone not versed in the allergy it doesn't say a whole lot. I think I was afraid to demand too much and ending up but will edit it to make things more clear.

Posted on: Mon, 09/03/2007 - 2:36am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

Yes, I think it's a good idea to be really explicit about what things are nuts, what kinds of things contain nuts and whether you are allowing items with warnings, unlabelled items, etc.
You may also want to include info on what action the teacher will take if nutty foods are discovered. Will their child be offered an alternate snack? Will nutty cupcakes be sent to the office? How can parents find out in advance if a particular item will be acceptable?
Cathy

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Anxious food allergic kids, understandably concerned about avoiding allergens, can become so restrictive in their food choices that weight loss...

Peanuts are classified as legumes, as are chickpeas. Does this mean a child with a peanut allergy needs to avoid eating chickpeas? As with many...

A young food allergic child is unlikely to say, “My throat is swelling and I’m having difficulty swallowing - I think I’m having an allergic...

Approximately one out of 13 children under age 18 are allergic to at least one food, though many of them will outgrow their allergy by the age of...

So many wonderful recipes call for peanut butter. These recipes can still be enjoyed by experimenting with peanut butter replacements.

...