48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Wed, 11/22/2006 - 10:40am
momll70's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/26/2006 - 09:00

I know when my son was diagnosed with PA the allergist told me nutmeg was o.k. Now my son is allergic to seeds (sesame, poppy, sunflower) I don't know if you need to avoid for seed allergy.

Posted on: Wed, 11/22/2006 - 10:47am
2boys2luv's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/14/2006 - 09:00

Wow Adrienne! That was out there. Who would think that a spice used in our foods could do all that. Makes you wonder why it was and how it ever started to be put in foods! CRAZY! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. The more I read on here, the more checking I do with everything I'm using. I have to say, we have been extremely lucky to have never had a reaction due to cross contamination before my eyes were opened! Thanks, Have a Great Thanksgiving!

Posted on: Wed, 11/22/2006 - 1:57pm
gw_mom3's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/14/2000 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Edinview:
[b]I think it's a thin skin that dries around an actual nutshell. The skin is grated off and used as the spice. My understanding is that it isn't the nut part and should be safe. But we're not allergic to nuts yet.[/b]
Actually the thin skin around the nutmeg is called Mace and is a little milder tasting than nutmeg. The actual nutmeg looks like a pit, sort of, and it is solid all the way through. We use whole nutmeg and grate it as we need it-it loses flavor quickly after being grated. My dd has never had a problem with it. BTW I learned all that from the Penzey's catalog. lol. I've been using whole nutmeg since before my 10 yo was born.
------------------
==============
[b]~Gale~[/b]

Posted on: Wed, 11/22/2006 - 10:33am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg[/url]
Nutmeg is a seed of a fruit of an evergreen.
Read down by 'risks and toxicity' --- learn something new everyday!
yipes!
Adrienne
------------------
30-something survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Wed, 11/22/2006 - 10:34am
Edinview's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2003 - 09:00

I think it's a thin skin that dries around an actual nutshell. The skin is grated off and used as the spice. My understanding is that it isn't the nut part and should be safe. But we're not allergic to nuts yet.

Posted on: Wed, 11/22/2006 - 10:40am
momll70's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/26/2006 - 09:00

I know when my son was diagnosed with PA the allergist told me nutmeg was o.k. Now my son is allergic to seeds (sesame, poppy, sunflower) I don't know if you need to avoid for seed allergy.

Posted on: Wed, 11/22/2006 - 10:47am
2boys2luv's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/14/2006 - 09:00

Wow Adrienne! That was out there. Who would think that a spice used in our foods could do all that. Makes you wonder why it was and how it ever started to be put in foods! CRAZY! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. The more I read on here, the more checking I do with everything I'm using. I have to say, we have been extremely lucky to have never had a reaction due to cross contamination before my eyes were opened! Thanks, Have a Great Thanksgiving!

Posted on: Wed, 11/22/2006 - 1:57pm
gw_mom3's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/14/2000 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Edinview:
[b]I think it's a thin skin that dries around an actual nutshell. The skin is grated off and used as the spice. My understanding is that it isn't the nut part and should be safe. But we're not allergic to nuts yet.[/b]
Actually the thin skin around the nutmeg is called Mace and is a little milder tasting than nutmeg. The actual nutmeg looks like a pit, sort of, and it is solid all the way through. We use whole nutmeg and grate it as we need it-it loses flavor quickly after being grated. My dd has never had a problem with it. BTW I learned all that from the Penzey's catalog. lol. I've been using whole nutmeg since before my 10 yo was born.
------------------
==============
[b]~Gale~[/b]

Posted on: Thu, 09/06/2007 - 12:03am
mumaluke's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/03/2006 - 09:00

Nutmeg is ok, it is not a nut. We use is all the time and our son is PA/TNA. If you do a search on this site you will find a couple of topics regarding Nutmeg.
------------------
[url="http://www.firstgiving.com/peanutallergy"]http://www.firstgiving.com/peanutallergy[/url] - every dollar helps!! Small or Big

Posted on: Thu, 09/06/2007 - 12:34am
MDGCPA's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/2007 - 09:00

We thought the same thing, that nutmeg was a spice, and therfore OK. I followed a recipe for apple sauce from my DS teacher, and only used 1/2 tsp in the whole batch.
My son broke out in hives immediately!!!
I called the allergist to inquire about nutmeg, and he said it is absolutely a nut product!!! I promptly threw out any spices containing nutmeg.
Marcy

Pages

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...