169 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 7:51am
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

I recall quite clearly a time in my life when smokers felt that way about being told they should not be lighting up inside public buildings like libraries and grocery stores... or for that matter, buses and airplanes.
They regarded it as [i]their RIGHT[/i] to do so wherever and whenever they pleased. I distinctly recall my father being incensed by those restrictions on his "rights" in a HOSPITAL. (Geeeez...)
Does this notion of where it is "normal" to eat and drink include the local library? A courtroom? The ballet? Public transportation? Museums? What about my allergist's office? Does it extend [i]everywhere[/i] ? Because it seems to me that this boundary of where that socially acceptable line is has really been pushed back over the last two decades.

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:03am
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Corvallis Mom:
[b]I recall quite clearly a time in my life when smokers felt that way about being told they should not be lighting up inside public buildings like libraries and grocery stores... or for that matter, buses and airplanes.
They regarded it as [i]their RIGHT[/i] to do so wherever and whenever they pleased. I distinctly recall my father being incensed by those restrictions on his "rights" in a HOSPITAL. (Geeeez...)
Does this notion of where it is "normal" to eat and drink include the local library? A courtroom? The ballet? Public transportation? Museums? What about my allergist's office? Does it extend [i]everywhere[/i] ? Because it seems to me that this boundary of where that socially acceptable line is has really been pushed back over the last two decades.
[/b]
as much as i HATE, HATE, HATE, smoking and second hand smoke, i do take issue with legislating all businesses to ban smoking. another issue...
whether or not it is "normal" is not the question. if a business -- library, theater, store, etc. -- chooses to make it their policy that no food is allowed, then people should absolutely abide. the establishment will gain some business because of it (like from all of us) and probably lose some business (from those who must eat at that given moment), but it is the businesses choice. if you allergist's office chooses to allow people to eat in the office, then you need to do whatever you can to make your children safe (as i am certain you do). do i think you should you talk to the allergist about the policy? sure. do i think you should go up to individuals and tell them not to eat? NO WAY (and that was the original question in this post).
my feeling is that if we are in a public place, and there is no policy against eating, then we have to make the decision whether or not it is safe to keep our daughter there. others should not be put under an obligation, whatsoever, unless they are violating a policy.

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:13am
ajas_folks's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/28/2000 - 09:00

Corvallis Mom, I can see we may possibly be outnumbered on this. And that we've struck a chord. . . bummer.
I am personally NOT asking any legal entity to legislate or regulate this. Just expecting perhaps, some level of personal responsiblity and possibly [i] moderation [/i] or self-control . . . Or more better stated,
I would prefer to see a return to civility and manners when it comes to eating in public: keep it in the food courts, the fast food seating areas, the movie theatres (not the ballet or symphony), at picnics, and any other venues where it would be truly appropriate. Eat in the car & put your garbage & food scraps INTO THE GARBAGE not out onto the parking lot ground (including the last swallows of beverage that you just HAVE to dump out of the car).
And don't even get me started on [b] [i] chewing gum. [/i] [/b] [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]
~Elizabeth

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:19am
ajas_folks's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/28/2000 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by shoshana18:
[b]. . . do i think you should go up to individuals and tell them not to eat? NO WAY (and that was the original question in this post).
[/b]
Uh, NO.
THIS was the original question posed, and I quote:
[i] Just curious as to how you would have handled this??? would you have said something? [/i]
For the record.
~Elizabeth

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:22am
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by ajas_folks:
[b] . . . Or more better stated,
I would prefer to see a return to civility and manners when it comes to eating in public: keep it in the food courts, the fast food seating areas, the movie theatres (not the ballet or symphony), at picnics, and any other venues where it would be truly appropriate. Eat in the car & put your garbage & food scraps INTO THE GARBAGE not out onto the parking lot ground (including the last swallows of beverage that you just HAVE to dump out of the car).
And don't even get me started on [b] [i] chewing gum. [/i] [/b] [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]
~Elizabeth
elizabeth,
i totally agree with you (oh my, it could be a first [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]). i would LOVE to see that too. a return to civility, in so many ways, would be a wonderful thing. i just don't think approaching a stranger about what they are eating is a good idea, that's all.
don't get me wrong -- i can just start fuming over all of the people eating peanuts, snickers bars, M&Ms, etc. at our local library; i'm exasperated that when i went to Old Navy and put my dd (when she was a baby) in a cart, she immediately broke out in hives because, most likely, some child was eating in the store prior to this...and i could go on and on. do i get mad? da*n straight i do! but i can't abandon my basic belief system (in personal responibility) because i got dealt this hand (of food allergies).
anyway, just wanted to clarify...
[/b]

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:25am
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

Thanks for clarifying... I happen to agree, though I would add that a lot of places historically haven't been confronted with people thinking that it [i]was okay to eat there.[/i] KWIM? Social acceptance shifted on them. Thirty years ago, no library needed to impose posted policy on the matter (outside of universities, where grad students have always sneaked coffee into the stacks [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img] )... now people assume some pretty outrageous things about what is okay personal behavior. Let's face it-- just because it isn't specifically prohibited doesn't make it okay!!
I mean, there isn't a sign at the library that says I can't mix myself a scotch and soda during preschool story time, either. The grocery store doesn't have a sign that says "No farm animals allowed" either. There is nothing to prevent me from wearing lingerie to a parent-teacher conference as far as I know... but none of these are (at the moment, anyway...) socially acceptable. YET. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]
As an amusing aside here, my FIL to this day maintains that [i]'They've never proven that second-hand smoke ever hurt ANYONE.[/i] [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/eek.gif[/img] Unbelievable.

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:31am
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Corvallis Mom:
[b]Thanks for clarifying... I happen to agree, though I would add that a lot of places historically haven't been confronted with people thinking that it [i]was okay to eat there.[/i] KWIM? Social acceptance shifted on them. Thirty years ago, no library needed to impose posted policy on the matter (outside of universities, where grad students have always sneaked coffee into the stacks [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img] )... now people assume some pretty outrageous things about what is okay personal behavior. Let's face it-- just because it isn't specifically prohibited doesn't make it okay!!
I mean, there isn't a sign at the library that says I can't mix myself a scotch and soda during preschool story time, either. The grocery store doesn't have a sign that says "No farm animals allowed" either. There is nothing to prevent me from wearing lingerie to a parent-teacher conference as far as I know... but none of these are (at the moment, anyway...) socially acceptable. YET. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]
As an amusing aside here, my FIL to this day maintains that [i]'They've never proven that second-hand smoke ever hurt ANYONE.[/i] [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/eek.gif[/img] Unbelievable. [/b]
believe it or not, my library actually has vending machines!!!! full of soda, candy bars, bags of peanuts, peanut butter crackers, etc. needless to say, i never bring dd there -- i just pick up books by myself. and needless to say, it is one more reason i can't wait to move out of arizona!

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:32am
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

Quote:
I would prefer to see a return to civility and manners when it comes to eating in public: keep it in the food courts, the fast food seating areas, the movie theatres (not the ballet or symphony), at picnics, and any other venues where it would be truly appropriate. Eat in the car & put your garbage & food scraps INTO THE GARBAGE not out onto the parking lot ground (including the last swallows of beverage that you just HAVE to dump out of the car).
And don't even get me started on chewing gum.
HEAR HEAR!!! (Wild applause!!!)
Personally, I would feel that way with or without food allergies. I find the idea of food-smeared people of any age pawing at clothing I might be trying on to just be revolting.
Though I, too, almost NEVER say anything. For the same reasons that Shoshana doesn't, incidentally. But I refuse to give in and behave just like them. (Just as I don't laugh at inappropriate jokes, even if I don't say anything.) And hey, holding off on that scotch and soda during storytime was occasionally a real sacrifice. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img] And I have [i]always[/i] wanted to take a llama with me to get produce. I think it would be fun.
Be the change you seek. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
[This message has been edited by Corvallis Mom (edited October 27, 2006).]

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:37am
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

corvallis mom,
i'm thinking...bloody mary! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
tomato juice in a cup? no one would be the wiser...
[img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Fri, 10/27/2006 - 8:43am
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

Pina colada.
[img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]

Pages

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.

Latest Discussions

Latest Post by krisztina Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:49pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by chicken Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:45pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by lexy Tue, 01/28/2020 - 12:21am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:15am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:11am
Comments: 5

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

If you find frequent allergy-related food recalls upsetting you are not alone, but a new federal rule may help reduce the cross-contamination...

If you or your child has a peanut or nut allergy, identifying the presence of nuts in food becomes a priority, but what if the written or spoken...

Tree nuts and peanuts are distinctly different. An allergy to one does not guarantee an allergy to the other. Peanuts are considered legumes and...

Welcome to the complex world of being a Peanut Allergy Parent. Get ready to proofread food labels, get creative with meals, and constantly hold an...

Scientists are developing a skin patch, much like the nicotine patch, that may cure deadly peanut allergies.

The patch contains tiny traces...

I love to cook and bake! I remember from a very young age cooking with my grandmother, teaching me all of the basics like making sure to mix in...

Take control of your food allergies! Get results in ten days and change your life forever! If you are tempted to use a home testing kit...

Parents of children with food allergies often share tips about safe foods, allergy-friendly restaurants, and other experiences and challenges of...

According to the results of a new study, children lacking Vitamin D may be more susceptible to food allergies. Researchers working at the Albert...

Nearly all infants are fussy at times. But how do you know when your baby's crying means something wrong? Some babies are excessively fussy...

If children begin to eat many different foods at a young age, there is much more of a chance that by the time they are in school, they will eat...

Those with peanut allergies often find that they are unable to enjoy dessert since there's always the...

If you've ever tried to find...

For those with peanut allergies, baked goods present a serious risk. Many baked goods do not appear to contain peanuts, yet were baked in a...

Those who have peanut allergies know to avoid peanut butter cookies, of course – but what about other...

Which candy bars are safe for those with peanut allergies? Those without allergies are accustomed to...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

For those who have wondered whether airport x-ray machines negatively affect epinephrine auto-injectors, the folks at Food Allergy Research &...

Molecular allergy component testing identifies the specific food or environmental proteins triggering a person’s allergic reactions. Component...

An epinephrine auto-injector provides an emergency dose of epinephrine (adrenaline) to treat life-threatening allergic reactions. Those who have...