Children with kiwi fruit allergy

Posted on: Sun, 06/27/2004 - 7:43am
williamsmummy's picture
Joined: 03/26/2002 - 09:00

Children develop allergy to favourite fruit

By Jenifer Johnston

Scientists have found that large numbers of children are developing severe allergies to kiwifruit .
Researchers from the University of Southampton studied 273 adults and children suspected of having an allergy to the popular fruit, with 45 subjects undergoing testing. Until now little has been known about the numbers of people allergic to the fruit.

One in five subjects suffered severe symptoms including collapse, wheezing and vomiting. Researchers found that 40% of cases occurred in children, a pattern not found with other frequently allergenic foods, such as dairy foods or peanuts.

Almost all (90%) of the children under six in the study had an underlying condition such as hayfever, eczema or asthma, and 60% reported having a peanut allergy.

Kiwifruit is increasingly popular in the UK. More than

Posted on: Mon, 06/28/2004 - 5:53am
pjama0502's picture
Joined: 08/04/2003 - 09:00

Okay, I'm no statistician but if kiwi allergies are affecting 1% of the population and peanut allergies are affecting 1% of the population and 60% of children with kiwi allergies have a peanut allergy, does this mean a PA child has a 60% chance of getting a kiwi allergy????
BTW - I thought one of the most interesting stats in the whole article was that 39% of children have one or more allergies!

Posted on: Mon, 06/28/2004 - 11:54am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

williamsmummy, interesting article. [img][/img]
When Jesse was a baby, the ONLY thing he ever grabbed in a grocery store (almost as if he knew not to grab other things) were kiwi fruits. We used to buy them 6 in a bag for $1.00 I believe and he loved them.
Wouldn't touch them to-day now even if you paid him, but queer. [img][/img]
Also, Jen, that is an interesting question.
Do PA children have a greater chance of developing a kiwi allergy?
Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Mon, 06/28/2004 - 11:57am
darthcleo's picture
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

Our first allergist (who now practices in the States) warned us against kiwifruits, when PA was confirmed.
I haven't reintroduced kiwis yet, but I did introduce them in juices and drinks. So far so good. My son is almost 7 now.

Posted on: Tue, 06/29/2004 - 12:08am
pjama0502's picture
Joined: 08/04/2003 - 09:00

Hi Williamsmum,
May I ask you, what precautions are you taking to avoid a latex allergy? And how likely is it to get a latex allergy after becoming allergic to kiwi? I've heard avoiding bananna, chestnuts and avocado can help. What about watermelon (for some reason I think I've read something about watermelon).
Thanks for your time,

Posted on: Tue, 06/29/2004 - 6:33am
williamsmummy's picture
Joined: 03/26/2002 - 09:00

william does have kiwi allergy , but I dont worry about latex allergy.
William is tree pollen allergic thats where the link is!
kiwi is very easy to avoid, so dont worry about it. research indicates its the second reaction that is worse!
take one allergy at a time, its all we can do.
William has loads of allergies and he is a normal , run of the mill , badly behaved little s*d.
I am more worried about his school reports coming soon!!!

Posted on: Tue, 06/29/2004 - 9:41am
robinlp's picture
Joined: 05/14/2002 - 09:00

Wow, interesting article. Jordan is allergic to peanuts and kiwi.

Posted on: Tue, 06/29/2004 - 12:40pm
California Mom's picture
Joined: 07/14/2000 - 09:00

I think that was an informative article but I find it peculiar that it was suggested to wait until a child is [b]six[/b] [b]months[/b] old to try kiwi fruit [img][/img] . Six months is the first time any solid food should be introduced. Why in heavens would someone introduce kiwi fruit at that time [img][/img] It seems more appropriate to me to wait a lot longer than six months. It is certainly easy enough to avoid. Why not wait until 3 years or even 5 years? Surely the immune system is further developed by then.
Just my thoughts,
[img][/img] Miriam

Posted on: Sun, 07/11/2004 - 12:52pm
darthcleo's picture
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

I would assume that it's because Kiwis can be found in a lot of juices. Plenty of people introduce fruit juices early.
*Not saying it's a good thing!*

Posted on: Sun, 07/11/2004 - 2:07pm
persnicketyFriend's picture
Joined: 05/14/2004 - 09:00

My dd had a friend who was severely allergic to kiwi. This was 9 years ago, and the child did not carry around an epi pen. She was rushed to the hospital one day in elementary school because she drank some fruit punch which unknowingly contained some kiwi juice. I had her here at my house MANY times before I knew of the allergy! Times have certainly changed!
BTW, this child did not have a peanut allergy.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...