Is it a PA?

Posted on: Tue, 06/29/2004 - 12:12pm
joshmommy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/29/2004 - 09:00

I have a one year old boy. He eats everything under the sun and alot of it. The only things he didn't have were shellfish and pb. I got the ok to let him try a small taste to see what happens because nobody in our families have any allergies to food and ds has had no problems with anything. When I gave him a small smear on a cracker, he ate about half and within 5 to 10 minutes I looked and he had a rash with hives all around his mouth and on his neck. It didn't seem to bother him but I called the doctor who told me to give some benedryl and it cleared up right away. The only other thing he had was a piece of Monterray Jack cheese which he's never had, but he's had tons of other cheeses before. I also assume that he has had the peanut oils, etc. so I'm confused. What do you think? [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/confused.gif[/img]

Holly
Josh 6/24/03

Posted on: Tue, 06/29/2004 - 10:41pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Hi Holly.
I would suggest that you not give him any more pb, and see an allergist.
You are correct that he probably has had peanut oils (unknowingly) in the past. The first exposure to an allergen doesn't usually cause a reaction - it's AFTER the first. (maybe second, third, whatever, but NOT first)
I assume it was your family doctor that told you to give him benedryl - have you spoken to him since? Ask him for a referral to an allergist. Better safe then sorry.
Good luck. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Wed, 06/30/2004 - 12:05am
California Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2000 - 09:00

I'm so sorry to tell you that it definitely does sound like he has a peanut allergy. My daughter did not react until her third or fourth known exposure to peanut butter. That reaction was tiny hives around the mouth, only. Our doctor said "it sounds like she has a [i]mild[/i] allergy to peanuts; keep her away from them". A year and a half later she accidentally ate a pretzel nugget filled with peanut butter (thinking it was just a regular pretzel) and she had a very severe reaction.
So, I highly agree with the advice to go see an allergist. You should have an epipen for your son and keep it with you/him always; just in case.
Peanut allergy is on the increase, for some reason. (Different theories abound as to why this is.) In my four year old son's preschool class there are three kids (out of 22) known to have pa - and my son whom we are treating as pa because of his older sister's allergies.
Good luck; keep posting and stay informed!!!
Many of us around here have discovered that we have better information than our doctors do.
[img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] Miriam

Posted on: Wed, 06/30/2004 - 10:42am
momma2boys's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2003 - 09:00

Hi, and welcome. My non pa son is highly allergic to eggs and those were the same initial symptoms he had when exposed to eggs. Better safe than sorry, Id avoid them and see an allergist.

Posted on: Wed, 06/30/2004 - 3:33pm
Driving Me Nutty's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/01/2003 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by AnnaMarie:
[b]I would suggest that you not give him any more pb, and see an allergist.
You are correct that he probably has had peanut oils (unknowingly) in the past. The first exposure to an allergen doesn't usually cause a reaction - it's AFTER the first. (maybe second, third, whatever, but NOT first)
[/b]
Holly, I agree. It sounds like a food allergy, and very probably peanut. I would have him avoid it and see an allergist.
Good luck!

Posted on: Wed, 06/30/2004 - 8:49pm
Claire's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/19/2000 - 09:00

He may very well have had Peanut oil,but most Dr.s will tell you that kids won't be allergic to peanut oil. I myself do not understand why that is,but we avoid oils.
It is totally suposed to be different because it has been boiled or something.
Anyway it sounds like an allergy to PB so have him checked. They can do a simple quick blood test or the whole series. Check with your DR.
I wouldn't just take our information and assume we are right either. You would need medical help in understanding what to do in an anaphalactic shock or how to use an epipen. Good luck claire

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Are you tired of serving fresh-cut fruits and veggies as a healthy snack? Sure, there's nothing wrong with these options, but they can get boring...

Are you craving cake? Perhaps there's an upcoming birthday...

In the United States, there are no lines of ice cream that are dedicated to being nut-free....

Molecular allergy component testing identifies the specific food or environmental proteins triggering a person’s allergic reactions. Component...

Fact 1: Over a third of food allergy reactions happen after the first known oral...