33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Sun, 06/08/2003 - 9:02am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

No, I wouldn't think you would have to have receipts. You are not claiming every additional expense you have because your child is PA or FA. Your are claiming the basic disability tax credit and you are doing this by submitting the T2201 form. It should not require you to have receipts attached to it for everything.
This is very different than claiming say parts of your house if you work from home (i.e., part of the mortgage payment, water, gas, hydro, cable, phone) where you would need receipts. That's something you really need an accountant for or someone who is organized and handy with numbers and does make you keep every receipt.
No, this is a one-off, straight dollar amount granted, reducing your taxable income and thereby reducing the amount of income tax you have to pay. It is considered a non-refundable tax credit because again, it is a straight dollar amount and reduces the amount of your taxable income.
Since I did not claim it this year, I do not now what the $ amount was that your taxable income would be reduced by. But I am fairly sure that it would be an okay amount. Does it truly cover all of the additional expenses we have because our children are PA or FA? I'm not clear. I'd have to see the amount.
At any rate, Linda and Riley have posted that in Beautiful British Columbia, Canada, they DID receive the deduction or were allowed the deduction, so if anyone did try this year and were denied, I think I, myself, would be questioning why.
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Wed, 07/16/2003 - 5:52am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

In this month's Child Tax Credit cheque there was the following information re Child Disability Benefit:-
The Child Disability Benefit (CDB) introduced in the February 2003 Federal Budget, will be a monthly payment included as a supplement with CCTB payments. The CDB will be a tax-free benefit of up to $1,600.00 per year to help low-and modest-income families with the cost of raising children under 18 who have a severe and prolonged mental or physical impairment. The new supplement will be effective July 2003. Eligible families will receive a retroactive payment for the period from July 2003 to March 2004 with their March 2004 CCTB payment.
Not all children with disabilities will qualify fo this benefit. Please see Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, for eligibility criteria. You can get Form T2201 by visiting our Web site at [url="http://www.ccra.gc.ca/forms"]www.ccra.gc.ca/forms[/url] or by calling 1-800-959-2221.
If you receive the CCTB for your child and you have already submitted an approved Form T2201 for that child, you do not need to contact us or send in any other forms. Your CDB will automatically be calculated in March 2004.
If you have not filed Form T2201 for a child who may be eligible, please complete one, have it signed by a qualified health professional, and send it to your local tax centre.
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]


Peanut Free Store

More Articles

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...