airborn PA

Posted on: Wed, 01/29/2003 - 11:38pm
Jodi2boys's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2003 - 09:00

Hi everyone! I've wondered if my son also is airborn PA until...last night. We were at a Karate class and a little girl, who was sitting 2 rows in front of us, started eating a candy bar (looked to be Snickers or something; we could even smell peanuts) and about 30 seconds later...my son started getting hives on his face!!! I immediately gave him Benadryl and got out of there. I came home and cried...NOW WHAT?? I really need to push for the "peanut-free" classroom for him to start preschool this September. Any parents that have a airborne PA child, PLEASE give any suggestions, advice, etc. AAaah! Things seem to just be getting worse! Should I contact his Dr.

Posted on: Wed, 01/29/2003 - 11:44pm
joeybeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2006 - 09:00

we have 2 PA girls. one has had a reaction to the steam (or odor or something) coming from an asian restaurant/booth in a cafe court in a shopping mall. she did not eat or touch anything. we were simply nearby and she breathed in whatever it was that caused the reaction. however, she has been around people eating "solid" peanuts (by this i mean snickers, chex mix, peanut brittle, etc..) and not had a reaction of any sort. (we have never intentionally allowed this to happen; it just has happened unexpectedly on occasion) maybe your son is just more sensitive than my daughter (or else we've just been lucky up til this point). seems like my child has to have the peanut protein (or whatever it is) actually floating through the air to react to it. i'm not sure what the difference is. just to be safe, we don't allow her near those eating peanut products anymore (we do allow her near people eating may-contains though). what strikes me is that we all have such different issues with PA. your son's is different than my first daughter's whose is different from my second daughter's, etc.. i know your comment wasn't about a school function but this makes me think it would be very difficult to know just what to ask the schools for when one person's plan for protection might not cover another person's needs. sorry to hear you are dealing with all of this. joey

Posted on: Thu, 01/30/2003 - 2:22am
Peg541's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/29/2002 - 09:00

My DS had a reaction on Halloween. His calculus teacher handed out Reeses to the class before DS class. DS came into an empty classroom and immediately almost lost his airway. He did not even smell peanuts. He used his epi pen and was OK enough to call me. We spent the day being ignored in the ER but he did fine. We put him on steroids for a few days after, plus Bendaryl.
DS knows to look for peanuts in a room he is entering. He cannot know if peanuts have been in a room so he has to take his chances. It is tough but that's his life.
Peg541

Posted on: Thu, 01/30/2003 - 6:02am
joeybeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2006 - 09:00

wow peg...that's very frightening...i'm sure my girls are around reeses at times (like during school parties). i always attend the school parties and make sure no peanut containing things have been placed in their bags and i have requested that no reeses, snickers, butterfinger, etc.. be brought into the classroom at any time. still, there is always the mother or two (or 12) that has to prove her point and brings in a couple of bags. we've been lucky so far. i can see this happening - reeses in particular have such a thick, strong odor that i can just imagine large particles being present in the air. maybe that's not exactly how it happens, but that's the image i get in my head. reeses are my most unfavorite candy for my kids to ever be exposed to (ranks right up there with straight peanut butter). your story makes me wonder if my comfort zone might be a little too loose. joey

Posted on: Thu, 01/30/2003 - 11:17am
Peg541's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/29/2002 - 09:00

Joey,
It was scary, especially since he did not smell peanuts in the air. Once this summer he walked into a room at work where kids were making PBJ sandwiches and he walked right out, took a Benadryl and called me.
He did not react but I think he's sensitized to peanut air now.
Yes, makes you question comfort zones but we've never considered a room where there were peanuts to be a good place for DS. His comfort zone is pretty small.
Peg541

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.

Latest Discussions

Latest Post by krisztina Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:49pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by chicken Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:45pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by lexy Tue, 01/28/2020 - 12:21am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:15am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:11am
Comments: 5
Latest Post by Italia38 Wed, 01/15/2020 - 11:03am
Comments: 10
Latest Post by Italia38 Wed, 01/15/2020 - 10:52am
Comments: 2
Latest Post by penelope Tue, 01/14/2020 - 1:03pm
Comments: 1

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

If children begin to eat many different foods at a young age, there is much more of a chance that by the time they are in school, they will eat...

Those with peanut allergies often find that they are unable to enjoy dessert since there's always the...

For those with peanut allergies, baked goods present a serious risk. Many baked goods do not appear to contain peanuts, yet were baked in a...

If you've ever tried to find...

If you find frequent allergy-related food recalls upsetting you are not alone, but a new federal rule may help reduce the cross-contamination...

If you or your child has a peanut or nut allergy, identifying the presence of nuts in food becomes a priority, but what if the written or spoken...

Tree nuts and peanuts are distinctly different. An allergy to one does not guarantee an allergy to the other. Peanuts are considered legumes and...

Welcome to the complex world of being a Peanut Allergy Parent. Get ready to proofread food labels, get creative with meals, and constantly hold an...

Scientists are developing a skin patch, much like the nicotine patch, that may cure deadly peanut allergies.

The patch contains tiny traces...

I love to cook and bake! I remember from a very young age cooking with my grandmother, teaching me all of the basics like making sure to mix in...

Take control of your food allergies! Get results in ten days and change your life forever! If you are tempted to use a home testing kit...

Parents of children with food allergies often share tips about safe foods, allergy-friendly restaurants, and other experiences and challenges of...

According to the results of a new study, children lacking Vitamin D may be more susceptible to food allergies. Researchers working at the Albert...

Nearly all infants are fussy at times. But how do you know when your baby's crying means something wrong? Some babies are excessively fussy...

Those who have peanut allergies know to avoid peanut butter cookies, of course – but what about other...

Which candy bars are safe for those with peanut allergies? Those without allergies are accustomed to...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

For those who have wondered whether airport x-ray machines negatively affect epinephrine auto-injectors, the folks at Food Allergy Research &...

Molecular allergy component testing identifies the specific food or environmental proteins triggering a person’s allergic reactions. Component...

An epinephrine auto-injector provides an emergency dose of epinephrine (adrenaline) to treat life-threatening allergic reactions. Those who have...