Puking at Passover - is PA responsible??

Posted on: Thu, 05/15/2003 - 4:57pm
Ms.Belinda's picture
Joined: 05/11/2003 - 09:00

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to get my son's case history mentally together, because we're planning to make our first trip to a Pediatric Immunologist soon. I just want to know if this has happened to anyone else, because I haven't found it in any of my reading, and I don't know if I should include it in the case history.
We went to Passover at my husband's grandparents' last year, and there were peanuts on everything as a crunchy topping. Our son didn't eat anything on the table (he's always been a picky eater, thank goodness), but he started throwing up everywhere during dinner. We took him home, and he threw up in the car and all night. It was awful. We thought he must have food poisoning, and didn't give him Benadryl or anything because he didn't have any swelling or hives or eczema. So here's my question: is it possible that just breathing in peanut smells could make him puke all night like that? Even without ingesting anything? Also, his most recent attack was after having one square of chocolate with a "may contain" warning on it (I'm ashamed to say we didn't heed that warning - I can only chalk it up to inexperience). He coughed, mucous started streaming, and then he threw up all night. That's what makes me think the Peanut Vapours were what made him puke at Passover. Can you wonderful people, with more experience with PA, give me some feedback on this? Can smelling peanuts make you throw up, even in the absence of other "allergic" symptoms?

Posted on: Thu, 05/15/2003 - 8:58pm
Louise UK's picture
Joined: 05/14/2003 - 09:00

Sorry to hear about your son. I hope he is feeling better now.
I can't speak for anyone else but it seems to me that there is a lot of controversy about whether or not airborne peanuts can cause reactions. I personally believe that it is possible to react to airborne peanuts (i.e. to just the smell) because on several occasions in the past I have found nothing else to put my reactions down to. I have also read posts on these boards from other people who also think they have experienced airborne reactions.
However, many people in the medical profession do not think that airborne peanut vapour can cause reactions, and they believe that these types of reactions are actually caused by unseen peanut residues (e.g on the tablecloth, of chair etc..)
About the reaction, it certainly is possible (and maybe probable) that your sons symptoms were caused by PA. I have had reactions in the past where I have been very sick with few other symptoms, but it would be fair to say that these have been uncommon and most of my reactions have involved hives, wheezing, itchy swollen face, etc. But in answer to your question, yes i have had similar reactions in the past.
Either way, I think it is important for you to mention these reactions to your allergist, because it is cetainly possible that PA was the cause. Also, to be on the safe side it would be best to try to avoid exposing him to airborne peanut, just incase (I know this is very difficult, as I have to do it myself!)
I hope this has helped you and best of luck with the allergist.
Love Louise.xx
PS. This is notintended as medical advice of any form, just my personal opinion [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Thu, 05/15/2003 - 9:43pm
darthcleo's picture
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

It also seems quite probable that, with peanuts everywhere, he could have picked up some residue on his hands, and then at one point brought his hands to his face. Only a trace amount is enough to trigger a reaction for quite a few people, so yes, the peanuts may be responsible, even though he didn't eat anything obvious.
You will find quite a few parents on this board that won't bring their kid to a party where peanuts are served.

Posted on: Fri, 05/16/2003 - 12:18am
California Mom's picture
Joined: 07/14/2000 - 09:00

My daughter's major symptom from ingesting peanuts and tree nuts has been major vomiting. So, it sounds highly likely to me that your son somehow reacted to the presence of peanuts everywhere.
When we were putting two and two together with our daughter we realized that she had had a case of major vomiting the Thanksgiving just before she turned three. She had been eating a lot of vegetarian pate just before that. We later figured out that it probably contained walnuts, which would explain her reaction.
(By the way, I'm surprised that peanuts were so prevalently served at a Passover seder. Legumes, including peanuts, are generally on the "forbidden" list of Passover foods.)
Good luck! Miriam

Posted on: Fri, 05/16/2003 - 1:03am
river's picture
Joined: 07/15/1999 - 09:00

Actually the topic of inhalation reactions has become a lot less controversial than it even was a year ago.
It's become widely accepted that many peanut allergic people have reactions to smell, or can begin to react to smell at any time.
Here's a good article about a 13 year old child reacting to smell.
(There's also a number of other 'interesting' things in this article including a school policy that makes a child race to a nurse's office for emergency life saving medication. If her instincts did not kick in, who knows?)

Posted on: Fri, 05/16/2003 - 1:55am
Going Nuts's picture
Joined: 10/04/2001 - 09:00

Ms. Belinda, welcome!
My son has most certainly had inhalation reactions involving hives and breathing difficulties. Vomiting has never been in [b]his[/b] reaction repetoire, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have affected your son that way.
And BTW, Miriam is correct - no peanuts during Passover, tsk, tsk, tsk! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img] Tree nuts on the other hand - they're everywhere... For future reference, check out Manishewitz's website; it is fabulous. It will tell you which Passover foods are safe.
Good luck with your doctor visit, and let us know how it goes.
[This message has been edited by Going Nuts (edited May 16, 2003).]

Posted on: Fri, 05/16/2003 - 4:10pm
Ms.Belinda's picture
Joined: 05/11/2003 - 09:00

I'm not surprised Peanuts aren't supposed to be served at Passover - we also have Turkey (although Lamb is readily available), anyone who feels like it reads from the little prayer/procedure book - even my husband's aunt(!), and my husband's uncle has been known to drink Elijah's wine. So I suspect the Passover celebrations I've been to have been verging on out-and-out sacriledge! I'm just an innocent bystander at my husband's family get-togethers, so I'm not about to say anything [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, thanks for the responses. I'll definately add the episode to my son's case history.

Posted on: Fri, 05/16/2003 - 8:56pm
Claire's picture
Joined: 04/19/2000 - 09:00

As you may remember my son just got over an airborne reaction. My doctor said that it should not be a controversy because airborne is what Chris was having. I will not get into all details as i have done that in a different thread. YES is such thing as airborne and i will leave it at that. Chris was one sick boy because a boy was eating a bagel with PB on it. He also reacted to the smell of a PB cup before. The doctor said it is just common sence that the particles are travelin in the air through the nose is a shore way of reacting. Good luck CLaire

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...