Mystery Reaction! Need Help

Posted on: Wed, 06/12/2002 - 12:38pm
JSaastad's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/29/2002 - 09:00

pHow long after coming in contact with an allergen can a reaction occur? I need help figuring out what caused my son's reaction./p
pLast sunday, at 3:30pm he was sitting next to a child eating Reese's PB cereal. A cousin at my parent's cabin. I know he did't touch any but complained to his brother of the smell./p
pAt 5:00pm, he had two bites of pan fish that were caught that day. This was probably the first exposure to fish. He just turned 4. /p
pAt 7:30pm, we stopped at a gas station on our way out of town and he ate a small package of twizzler pullpeel licorice. No other products in the car etc... /p
pWithin a half hour he was wheezing, coughing and complaing of breathing. I pulled over and gave him benadryl. I checked his entire body for hives, he had none. When we arrived home I had to give him multiple nebs through out the night. I didn't give epipen./p
pI think it must be the licorice, maybe the red dye?? Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. /p
pJill/p
p[This message has been edited by JSaastad (edited June 12, 2002).]/p

Posted on: Wed, 06/12/2002 - 11:23pm
LJG's picture
LJG
Offline
Joined: 05/23/2002 - 09:00

I have a friend who is allergic to the red dye....I think it's called something like "carmine". Derived somehow from bugs...yuck. He carries an epipen now. The allergist can test for it.

Posted on: Thu, 06/13/2002 - 5:35am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Licorice is a cross-react with peanut (legume), so if the Twizzlers have any real licorice in it, I'd say it was from that. My son has had one Twizzler in his life, and had a mild reaction. We totally avoid them now.
HTH.

Posted on: Thu, 06/13/2002 - 2:43pm
JSaastad's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/29/2002 - 09:00

Thank you both. I do think it must be the licorice. The cabin was supposed to be peanut/tree nut free. Everyone is still learning, including me. I feel terrible for my son! Thanks again.

Posted on: Fri, 06/14/2002 - 2:15am
nopeanuts's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2001 - 09:00

I don't think Twizzlers has any real licorice in it, but it still may have caused a reaction from the dye or cross-contamination. I heard that it can take up to 4 hours for a reaction to occur. I think I would also be cautious of fish, since it is a highly allergenic food.

Posted on: Fri, 06/14/2002 - 7:57am
Chicago's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2001 - 09:00

My PA/TNA dd eats has eaten Twizzlers for years with no trouble - but as has been said red dye can be a problem for some.
Also, as I understand it the allergic reaction can occur as different points in the digestive process, so checking out the fish was also good advice.

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.

Latest Discussions

Latest Post by krisztina Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:49pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by chicken Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:45pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by lexy Tue, 01/28/2020 - 12:21am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:15am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:11am
Comments: 5
Latest Post by Italia38 Wed, 01/15/2020 - 11:03am
Comments: 10
Latest Post by Italia38 Wed, 01/15/2020 - 10:52am
Comments: 2
Latest Post by penelope Tue, 01/14/2020 - 1:03pm
Comments: 1

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

If children begin to eat many different foods at a young age, there is much more of a chance that by the time they are in school, they will eat...

Those with peanut allergies often find that they are unable to enjoy dessert since there's always the...

For those with peanut allergies, baked goods present a serious risk. Many baked goods do not appear to contain peanuts, yet were baked in a...

If you've ever tried to find...

If you find frequent allergy-related food recalls upsetting you are not alone, but a new federal rule may help reduce the cross-contamination...

If you or your child has a peanut or nut allergy, identifying the presence of nuts in food becomes a priority, but what if the written or spoken...

Tree nuts and peanuts are distinctly different. An allergy to one does not guarantee an allergy to the other. Peanuts are considered legumes and...

Welcome to the complex world of being a Peanut Allergy Parent. Get ready to proofread food labels, get creative with meals, and constantly hold an...

Scientists are developing a skin patch, much like the nicotine patch, that may cure deadly peanut allergies.

The patch contains tiny traces...

I love to cook and bake! I remember from a very young age cooking with my grandmother, teaching me all of the basics like making sure to mix in...

Take control of your food allergies! Get results in ten days and change your life forever! If you are tempted to use a home testing kit...

Parents of children with food allergies often share tips about safe foods, allergy-friendly restaurants, and other experiences and challenges of...

According to the results of a new study, children lacking Vitamin D may be more susceptible to food allergies. Researchers working at the Albert...

Nearly all infants are fussy at times. But how do you know when your baby's crying means something wrong? Some babies are excessively fussy...

Those who have peanut allergies know to avoid peanut butter cookies, of course – but what about other...

Which candy bars are safe for those with peanut allergies? Those without allergies are accustomed to...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

For those who have wondered whether airport x-ray machines negatively affect epinephrine auto-injectors, the folks at Food Allergy Research &...

Molecular allergy component testing identifies the specific food or environmental proteins triggering a person’s allergic reactions. Component...

An epinephrine auto-injector provides an emergency dose of epinephrine (adrenaline) to treat life-threatening allergic reactions. Those who have...