Where do you draw the line when child isn\'t smell/touch reactive to Peanuts?

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Hey, My child to date has never reacted to smell/touch of peanuts. His allergy level to PA is >100, he does have asthma, tree nut allergy and other allergies. My wifew doesn't cook with peanuts/peanutbutter however at times chinese food is brought home that contains nuts and other foods child is allergic to, child doesn't eat any chinese foods. Is this possibly making child more allergic by having allergic food near? We wash up right after eating. On vacation we shared home and PB was eaten by several people. Anyone have allergist recommend against this when PA child hasn't to date reacted by smell etc? Or for that matter has anyone's dr recommended not sittting by another child eating PB at school in this senario?

For those who are smell/touch sensitive how do you handle sporting events where peanuts are there? etc.

Gerald

On Aug 6, 2000

Gerald, We have gotten mixed opinions about something we did - we had our son "touch tested" in the allergist's office. We had no idea how he would react to touch, or to just being near peanut butter. He will start preschool in a month, so we wanted to know what would happen if he came in contact with contaminated toys, etc... The spot on his skin only showed the beginning of a hive after 20 minutes. However, when the allergist wiped the PB off his back, the oil was smeared ALL over!! I still can't believe we didn't catch that at the time - even the allergist didn't realize what she did!! Needless to say, by the time we got home, our son's back was fire engine red and covered with hives, and he was severely itchy. After a bath and Benedryl, he was fine. At the office the Dr. said he should be fine sitting near someone who is eating PB, as long as he doesn't come in contact with it on his face - eyes, mouth. Skin reaction should be easily taken care of with Benedryl and thorough washing. Someone asked why the PB was put on his back - it's not likely he'll get it on his back in a school setting. I guess it was so he couldn't scratch it and spread it to those places that would cause a worse reaction. We KNOW that his reaction is bad when he gets peanut in his mouth. And what we now know from the "touch test" is that a skin 'only' reaction can be easily handled - that's all we wanted to know. Sorry for going on and on... Stay safe!

On Aug 7, 2000

I don't have a problem with someone eating peanut butter near my child. It makes me cringe a little bit, but every time I see any kind of nuts now, it makes me cringe! I do not, however, allow friends to bring peanut butter sandwiches for their children into my house. This is just what I feel comfortable with.

On Aug 7, 2000

My daughter has reacted to touch. When discussing with the allergist that there is a PB experiment in the upcoming 1st grade book, he told me she would be fine to stay in the room but NOT to touch anyone. She is around PB when others eat it, but she usually stands away because the smell bothers her. I think it is from fear. **I would like to add that when I told this to her upcoming teacher, she said, "Well, we will probably just talk about it - not do it." I am excited that she will have another wonderful and understanding teacher!

Related