What qualifies as severely allergic?
Hi everyone, I see people write on here that they have a severe peanut allergy. My son's doc always avoids answering the question of how severe his reaction is and says you can't really tell. So, those of you that say you have severe allergy, are you able to say that just from previous outbreaks or has your doc given you a way to quantify to tell?
My son is nearly 3 yrs old and was diagnosed at 1 and a half years old. We just had the component testing done he was sensitive to H1 with a value of .49 and H2 with a value of 3.61. I see that these values on the chart measure on the high positive scale. Does this mean he is moderate since it isn't the high positive or can you not quantify it that way? Is the only way just by telling if he has been anaphylactic? Any help or discussion would be appreciated!
By mom1995 on Feb 8, 2014
I can only speak to my daughters level. So her ped's doc said serve because her first exposure resulted in two epi doses, a breateing treatment and 6 more hours of observation at the ER. So we advoided until before kinder and then went to see an allergist. At that time I knew nothing of a blood test wish I had. I specifically asked that they make the peanut the very last one , they did. With in moments you could see her arm turning red and swelling up. The nurse, the doc and I watched it go to her elbow at which point she recieved her first epi. When it continued above her elbow the doc administered another epi and informed me that if continued and got close to the sholder then I would have to take her accross the street to the ER. That allergist had been in practice for over 30 years, the other 3 allergist and every single nurse in the office came in to look at her. THey had never seen any reaction like hers. THey took pictures. The allergist said serve would be an understatement. When they did her skin test he said that it was 1mill of the protien only under the first layer of skin. He told us to advoid all contact even touch. Three years later when we were living in a different town they announced that a new peanut processing plant was going to open 2 miles from our home and her school. When I reached out to the allergist to see if wee nedded to do anything he said move. That we needed at least 20 miles distance as that was how far the particles could travel. We were told there was no chance of change until puberty and to wait till then to re-test her. We did. The new allergist sent us for the blood test. As it was described to me : they take the blood and expose it to the items you are testing for. Then they count the number of IgE. They count from 1-100 and scale accordingly. Every 20 is a number. She was a 5 + on peanut and either a 3 or 4 on every other nut in the world. We were told that they could not quantify her on their current scale. They stopped counting at 135. Since each exposure is said to be worse then the last, the second allergist said serve is an undersatement. For her the odds of it being fatal are high. I hope this helps answer your question. If you have an allergist that can't or won't quantify try a different allerigst. Get the blood test and have a number to tell you.
By rudy117 on Feb 11, 2014
My daughter is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. Her allergist was also vague and I have had to do much research on my own. She scored 1+ for peanuts on the rast test and 3+ on the rast test for a variety of tree nuts. She is so allergic that if she can smell the offending item, she is at risk for anaphylaxis. My daughters got pet hamsters when they were young for Christmas. My daughter had a reaction from the hamster food. It had peanuts in it. I was still unfamiliar with the allergy at that time and thought that because she scored so low for peanuts, they wouldn't be a problem. I couldn't have been more wrong. So, I guess that may be why your doctor is so vague about information. The only way to safely navigate a nut allergy is to elimate exposure altogether.