My 3 year old son was rescently diagnosed with a peanut allergy after a contact reaction (he is a picky eatter and has always refused peanut butter as a look icky food). They did a blood test for dog and peanut allergy. Dog came in at 0.52 which they said was minor, peanut came in at 36.5 which they said was major. I have been trying to find info on the net about where the cutoffs are and what the scale that these numbers are judged on means, but no luck...
On Jul 9, 2006
The answer to your question is in this great article. The numbers don't mean a whole lot. Once you are above a certain threshold you are in danger of an anaphylactic reaction. There is not a good correlation between the numbers and how badly you will react to peanut ingestion.
On Jul 9, 2006
Our allergist (who is one of the peanut allergy experts) told us that anything over IgE of 15 is considered to be allergic (the tests at this point are very reliable) He also says that for example a 59 is not necessarily worse than a 36- the severity of the reaction may vary at anytime in any individual despite IgE values. A good overview article I refer to people with statistical information on what SPT and numbers mean as well as the latest research is [url="http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm"]http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm[/url] Hope that helps- I would discuss this with a board certified allergist for the full answer.