Hi I am new and confused by all of this!

Posted on: Mon, 06/08/2009 - 1:10am
JaneyC's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009 - 08:04

Hi everyone

My son who is 2years old has been diagnosed with a Grade II peanut allergy and high IGE level of 110. This means absolutely nothing to me! How many grades are there, is the lower the number more severe or higher? I have had a google of IGE and this seems to relate to other allergies and asthma? I do have a follow up appointment to ask any further questions and be trained in the use of the epi pen but its not for 3 months so I dont want to remain ignorant for that long. Do I have to be worried about every little thing or will I become more relaxed in time?

Thanks for taking the time to read.
J x

Posted on: Mon, 06/08/2009 - 3:01am
BestAllergySites's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2009 - 21:46

JaneyC-
Sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. I know it can be very frightening and confusing.
The grades and levels make it even more so. First off, I'm not an allergist. But in my experience-usually an elevated IGE that high means that the allergy has the "potential" to be on the more severe side. Grades can be tricky as I'm not sure if you or your allergist is referring to the lab results or something else.
If you had blood/rast test done, some labs will list grades/levels based on the IGE scores. What I've been told by several allergists is that the grades or levels are completely arbitrary and made up by the lab-not allergists.
That being said, it is likely that high IGE numbers and a higher grade/level often means-again a "potential" for severe reactions. Though there are some individuals with high numbers that don't have severe reactions.
So from my point of view-and because allergies and reactions can change over time-I tend to look at it as you are either allergic or you are not.
Yes-there is a lot you will have to worry and educate yourself about-no-it doesn't have to be every little thing. And definitely yes-you will become more relaxed over time..it does just take time.
Start with keeping obvious peanut items away from your son. Start reading labels if you do not already. I also encourage you to not allow your son to eat foods labeled with warning labels such as "may contains pnut" or "processed in a facility with pnuts" as those items can sometimes contain trace amounts of pnuts.
As your son gets older and you become more comfortable-you will not worry as much. I hope that helps! There are lots of other things I could tell you to do-but I'd start with the above. It can get overwhelming.
Any other questions feel free to ask!
Ruth

Posted on: Mon, 06/08/2009 - 12:51pm
Rissaroo's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009 - 15:16

Hi I too am new to the site. My daughter was tested for a peanut allergy 2 years ago at the age of two. We were told at that time that yes she had a peanut allergy but because we hadn't noticed any reaction at all to her eating peanuts- and she loved to eat them that it was probably just skin reaction (she has excema) and that she wouldn't need an epi-pen. Just came back from the allergist again and she is still reacting to peanuts and this time I came home with a perscription for an epi-pen. Any ideas as to why the doctor decided to change her thoughts on the epi? I was too stunned at the doctors office to ask anything. (her tests have only been skin not blood)
we're just very lost.....

Posted on: Mon, 06/08/2009 - 4:42pm
JaneyC's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009 - 08:04

Hi Ruth
Thanks for your speedy reply it is much appreciated. You have certainly clarified the main points in my mind, I can take each day as it comes now until the next appointment. There is so much with nuts or "traces of" when reading the packaging its a minefield! One of Toby's favourite breakfasts is a chocolate/hazelnut filled cereal and he has been eating that non stop since well before our first appointment (I thought it was just chocolate ooops!) without any reaction at all. It was a peanut brittle bar I was eating that he had the smallest of bites of that caused the first major reaction. I feel bad taking away his favourite breakfast when I know it will probably be ok but I cant afford to take any risks now.
Thanks again for your advice.
Jane

Posted on: Mon, 06/08/2009 - 4:48pm
JaneyC's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009 - 08:04

Hi Rissarro
Sorry I cant help at all, I'm clueless myself still! Although my consultant did say I would need to go onto the ward to be trained with the epi pen, it can be just as dangerous in the wrong hands and you should only use it when absolutely necessary. Have you been given any advice/training? If not I would ask for it, wrong use can be just as fatal as pnt allergy itself.
Your post might not get seen on my thread, if you dont get any further replies I would make your own thread there seems to be some very knowledgable people on here.
Good Luck!
Jane

Posted on: Thu, 07/23/2009 - 4:46pm
yeovandZ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/23/2009 - 23:33

Hi !!!I'm also new to this community..,I just want to gain more knowledge about peanut allergy.....,I have a site for allergies ..,,if you are interested just visit me @
ichatmedia

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...