I just got a vitamix and I like to blend a morning drink that has nuts in it. I want to use the same container for making smoothies, which my nut-allergic daughter will drink (anaphylaxis). Is there any way to clean the container so it's 100% clean? My gut tells me I need to use a different container, but I thought I'd ask.
By PeanutAllergy.com on Mar 26, 2016
Question of the Week: Answered!
Every week, PeanutAllergy.com answers one of the questions posted in our community.Our Answer:
Thank you for your question. It is important to avoid cross contamination in the home whenever possible.
This can pose an especially large challenge when it comes to eating at restaurants or attending parties. Sometimes you don’t know the ingredients of a dish or whether a dish might’ve come into contact with an allergen. When you eat out in public, it’s important to bring your child’s allergy to the restaurant’s attention. Cross contamination is something you should definitely be aware of — and the best way to avoid it at home is to not avoid using allergens in cooking or for snacking. You can learn more about cross contamination here.
The best option would be to use a separate blender. It’s also important to know how to disinfect items that might have come in contact with an allergen. When it comes to washing dishes, there are some steps you can take to make sure they are extra clean — such as using hot water. To learn more about decontaminating dishes here.
It’s important to also let your family members know about the allergy and what they can do to avoid cross contamination. You should also make sure they can use an auto-injector appropriately.
We also recently shared some simple tips for living with a food allergy that you and daughter might find useful (including how to talk to family members about a food allergy). You can see those tips here.
We also reached out to our Facebook community with your question, and you can see their responses here.
We hope this information helps. Take care!
By abolitionist146 on Apr 13, 2016
I myself am anaphylaxis to peanuts. If it was myself I would buy a new mixer. Better safe than sorry. My husband's family are big fish friers and they fry in peanut oil. They got rid of their old frier and bought a new one just in case of cross contamination.