Was this a reaction?

Posted on: Wed, 03/16/2005 - 6:08am
AnnieM's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/16/2004 - 09:00

Yesterday my dad gave pa/tn son a handful of dried cherries before reading the label. When he realized they were processed on a line that also processes peanuts and nuts he immediately had my son spit them out and go rinse his mouth out. Luckily, ds had just put them in his mouth and started to chew but had not swollowed any of them before the mistake was realized! About 15min. later we were in the car and he started sneezing repeatedly (he did this after vomitting when he had a bite of pbj sandwich) so I gave him some benedryl and the sneezing stopped a few minutes later.

What do you think? We have been very careful and have no may contains or processed on the same line items in the house so this is the first time since he was diagnosed that he has been exposed to this.

------------------
AnnieM.

Posted on: Mon, 01/16/2006 - 2:29pm
TJuliebeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/30/2005 - 09:00

Hi Carefulmom.
I am intolerant to corn and wheat. I can get away with smallish amounts, but if I eat too much, I'm gonna pay for it. The pain is like what you describe. Straight corn (like corn on the cob) and popcorn tear me up the worst.
Another possibility is that you ate too much unfamiliar food at one time. Might of been a shock to your system.
It also could have been a virus...
Its hard to know what caused it. Course, it never hurts to get tested for allergy. It COULD be an allergy, possibly peanut, but also chocolate, coconut, tree nuts, ect. PA/TNA is such a serious allergy, I think it's better to be safe than sorry...
edited to add that somewhere on this site I recently read a reaction can occur like 48-72 hours afterwards. Can't remember exacly where that was...
[This message has been edited by TJuliebeth (edited January 17, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 01/17/2006 - 1:02am
Rach's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/01/2001 - 09:00

I'd echo what Juliebeth said really. Only because the same thing happens to me with cheese (only really with hard cheese - don't know why!) and egg.
I get stomach pain a long while after eating these things, sometimes as long after as your 12 hours, but more often a little sooner - 6 to 8 hours. It really hurts, but can't compare it to labour yet myself! lol.
I can eat these things, but only in very small and infrequent quantities. But generally I do try to avoid it, other than making sure I have some egg because I know I'm getting virtually no diary in my diet, and just feel that if I can then I probably should.
Hope you find out what's causing it - maybe a blood test or skin prick test would help?
Keep us updated
Take care
Rach
[This message has been edited by Rach (edited January 17, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 01/17/2006 - 7:33am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

An excess of chocolate can cause GI problems. You said you ate "a ton" of Halloween candy. I'm not sure how much you mean, but if was excessive, that would be my guess.

Posted on: Wed, 01/18/2006 - 7:19am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

This has happened to me several times, once when I had only consumed stuff I had made, twice from goodies at work. I almost feel like they are "bladder pains" hard to describe, I was virtually incapacitated, so intense I had to really try to catch my breath. 12 hours or so later- absolutely fine. I know what to look for as far as UTI's and passing stones and what not, so I'm sure that's not it. No diarrhea or vomiting, just real bad cramping in the lower regions. Very strange feeling anyway and I'm not sure I described it correctly. I don't have any diagnosed allergies, however after eliminating things d/t kids' allergies, I no longer itch myself bloody, have eczema patches or take seasonal allergy meds. Maybe one day I'll have time to get myself tested.

Posted on: Wed, 01/18/2006 - 8:50am
Carefulmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/03/2002 - 09:00

Hblmom, that is exactly what it was like. I was incapacited by pain. I felt light-headed, but I really think that was from the pain, not my blood pressure dropping.
Jimmy`s mom, I also think it might have been the chocolate. It was after reading some posts by some of our adult onset members that I started to wonder if it could be a reaction.
Tjuliebeth and Rach, I guess you are saying you are not really allergic to the corn and wheat (Tjuliebeth) and cheese and egg (Rach). I really think I am not allergic, but I need to get tested to be sure. I also had something strange happen after eating mango four years ago where I had some tingling and itching of my tongue, and I have been meaning to see the allergist about that anyhow. I think it is only oral allergy syndrome, but I am not sure. There was no rush to see him as it is easy to avoid mangos and I carry epis anyhow. But I really need to be sure.

Posted on: Mon, 01/16/2006 - 2:29pm
TJuliebeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/30/2005 - 09:00

Hi Carefulmom.
I am intolerant to corn and wheat. I can get away with smallish amounts, but if I eat too much, I'm gonna pay for it. The pain is like what you describe. Straight corn (like corn on the cob) and popcorn tear me up the worst.
Another possibility is that you ate too much unfamiliar food at one time. Might of been a shock to your system.
It also could have been a virus...
Its hard to know what caused it. Course, it never hurts to get tested for allergy. It COULD be an allergy, possibly peanut, but also chocolate, coconut, tree nuts, ect. PA/TNA is such a serious allergy, I think it's better to be safe than sorry...
edited to add that somewhere on this site I recently read a reaction can occur like 48-72 hours afterwards. Can't remember exacly where that was...
[This message has been edited by TJuliebeth (edited January 17, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 01/17/2006 - 1:02am
Rach's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/01/2001 - 09:00

I'd echo what Juliebeth said really. Only because the same thing happens to me with cheese (only really with hard cheese - don't know why!) and egg.
I get stomach pain a long while after eating these things, sometimes as long after as your 12 hours, but more often a little sooner - 6 to 8 hours. It really hurts, but can't compare it to labour yet myself! lol.
I can eat these things, but only in very small and infrequent quantities. But generally I do try to avoid it, other than making sure I have some egg because I know I'm getting virtually no diary in my diet, and just feel that if I can then I probably should.
Hope you find out what's causing it - maybe a blood test or skin prick test would help?
Keep us updated
Take care
Rach
[This message has been edited by Rach (edited January 17, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 01/17/2006 - 7:33am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

An excess of chocolate can cause GI problems. You said you ate "a ton" of Halloween candy. I'm not sure how much you mean, but if was excessive, that would be my guess.

Posted on: Wed, 01/18/2006 - 7:19am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

This has happened to me several times, once when I had only consumed stuff I had made, twice from goodies at work. I almost feel like they are "bladder pains" hard to describe, I was virtually incapacitated, so intense I had to really try to catch my breath. 12 hours or so later- absolutely fine. I know what to look for as far as UTI's and passing stones and what not, so I'm sure that's not it. No diarrhea or vomiting, just real bad cramping in the lower regions. Very strange feeling anyway and I'm not sure I described it correctly. I don't have any diagnosed allergies, however after eliminating things d/t kids' allergies, I no longer itch myself bloody, have eczema patches or take seasonal allergy meds. Maybe one day I'll have time to get myself tested.

Posted on: Wed, 01/18/2006 - 8:50am
Carefulmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/03/2002 - 09:00

Hblmom, that is exactly what it was like. I was incapacited by pain. I felt light-headed, but I really think that was from the pain, not my blood pressure dropping.
Jimmy`s mom, I also think it might have been the chocolate. It was after reading some posts by some of our adult onset members that I started to wonder if it could be a reaction.
Tjuliebeth and Rach, I guess you are saying you are not really allergic to the corn and wheat (Tjuliebeth) and cheese and egg (Rach). I really think I am not allergic, but I need to get tested to be sure. I also had something strange happen after eating mango four years ago where I had some tingling and itching of my tongue, and I have been meaning to see the allergist about that anyhow. I think it is only oral allergy syndrome, but I am not sure. There was no rush to see him as it is easy to avoid mangos and I carry epis anyhow. But I really need to be sure.

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...