45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Sat, 09/08/2012 - 11:11pm
karenmelissa98's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/09/2012 - 06:01

I have a peanut allergy. I was fine when I was a child but now I'm 32 and it seems to have gotten worse... I have a really strange delayed reaction.. Last year I went to Texas Roadhouse (where there are peanuts everywhere..) I didn't eat any but sure that just being exposed to it caused my issues. About 16 hours later I started vomiting profusely and continued to do so for like 8 hours. I didn't realize that was it at first.. But every time I eat a nut of any kind the same thing happens to me.. I'm wondering why the delayed reaction.. I'm an RN myself and not sure why.. Haha.. but I know if I avoid nuts I never have any issues like this.

Posted on: Tue, 09/18/2012 - 12:03pm
Saralinda's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/12/2004 - 09:00

The first clue that I have eaten a peanut is an itchy throat feeling. My allergic reactions to peanuts have always included vomiting. Ingest, wait a few minutes and throw up. The only way I have short circuited this process is to quickly drink a full glass of cold milk right away before the peanut gets much past my mouth, which I suppose coats the digestive tract, preventing the reaction. Now a days I also carry an epipen and benedryl tablets with me, but I haven't needed to use them for a peanut reaction...yet.

Posted on: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 4:40am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Hi, ruff!
My first thought is - don't give your granddaughter any more peanut butter.
The best way to find out about a food allergy is by a test - NOT by eating the food. Danger, danger, danger. Request a referral to an allergist, make the appointment yourself, whatever - just get that test ASAP. And, in the meantime, stick around here and read, read, read.
Lam [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
P.S. I want to share a summary of my son's first reactions. He was 15 months old when we gave him his first, almost invisible, taste of peanut butter. After two hours of crying and coughing, he threw up and was fine. A few months later, we tried the PB again. He threw up immediately, and started wheezing, and had a hoarseness in his voice. Thankfully, both reactions stopped on their own, because we had NO IDEA what was going on. I mentioned these two events to his pediatrician, and we had an allergist appointment before we left his office!
[This message has been edited by Lam (edited August 29, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 4:41am
qdebbie1's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/10/2005 - 09:00

Welcome, you are in the right place.
no no no no no no
stop it now.
I am going to be brutal here because I want to make sure you get it.
That doctor is a dumba$$.
Stop giving her any more peanut products, see an allergist and get an epi-pen.
Vommitting is very common. This is how my child reacted too until his last reaction that involved vommiting AND his throat closing.
Others will jump in here too and maybe be more subtle and sensitive.
To answer the questions you asked.
yes its common.
My money says its an allergy but do not take that risk until you know from an allergy test.
About 20% or so outgrow it with strict avoidance.
Get educated, do your own research, not always from a doctor. You will learn, its ok, we handle it and life goes on.

Posted on: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 4:56am
ruff's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/29/2006 - 09:00

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that this child is one of the three little girls - triplets. They were born at 32 weeks. The other two seem to be fine with the peanut butter. Does prematurity factor into this at all?

Posted on: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 5:14am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

My DS had only one reaction--to his first taste of PB as a toddler. He vomited. He also had hives, which is why I realized it was an allergy. But hives is not necessary for it to be an allerfic reaction. I agree with the others, please get the child to an allergist. This doctor may (or may not) be great in other respects, but obviously knows little about allergies. Don't feed her any more products that contain even a trace of peanut, and get an epi-pen ASAP.

Posted on: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 5:14am
crazymomof2's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/29/2004 - 09:00

Nope, prematurity is not a factor in this. This little one was just dealt a different immune system than the other two.
Before my son was diagnosed, I used to think he just had a low "puke threshold." Little did I know that the jellybeans I was giving him during potty training had traces of peanuts in them. It wasn't until I gave him actual peanut butter that he anaphylaxed in front of me. Scary stuff. Stop the pb. Now. Get it out of the house. It's too easy for the other two to cross contaminate everything. Ask the pediatrician to order a cap rast just to confirm your suspicion.

Posted on: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 5:16am
PurpleCat's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2006 - 09:00

Hi Ruff!
My DD was premature and I believe it played a part in her allergy issues - all immune problems and her immune system was immature.
As for vomiting - oh yes, that is part of this allergy. I echo the notes to stop trying peanut butter and get an allergist on board. The more exposure, the worse it gets!
------------------
Keep Smiling
DD - allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, and egg

Posted on: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 9:49am
pitterpat's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/04/2006 - 09:00

My dd has only had vomiting reactions to foods. My ped said this was not allergic until he went to a conference about allergies. Then he told us that vomiting is a very concerning reaction and wanted dd to be tested. (Note that I did not continue to feed her stuff (eggs, trace amounts of pn, and something that I actually no longer remember?) that made her vomit. Common sense says something is wrong if you eat it and vomit!)
The others are right. Ask all the questions you want, but go see an allergist and get tested properly. It is very dangerous to continue to feed your granddaughter something she is likely allergic to.
Good luck!
Patty
------------------
Patty
mom to
Sara (7/02) allergic to pn, grass, trees
Julia (9/04) allergic to eggs? & nuts? (no testing, just reactions)

Posted on: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 11:01am
doreen's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/23/2001 - 09:00

My daughter's first reaction is vomiting -- there have never been any hives, but she also has some swelling in her tongue (my tongue feels funny) -- maybe you could see if you could get the child to say something like this. I do agree with the post that said the doctor is a .... I wouldn't do it again.

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...