45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Mon, 03/01/1999 - 9:09am
Noreen's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/24/1999 - 09:00

Hi Tracy:
Thanks for your detailed report from your visit with the allergist. I had wondered whether my son's second response was better because he vomitted so much rather the hives, swelling, and coughing. Now I know it was probably more on par.
I went to buy him a snack this morning and my 4yo says, "Mom, make sure there's no peanuts in it." I swear he'd be more vigilant than I if only he could read. :-)
Noreen
[This message has been edited by Noreen (edited March 01, 1999).]

Posted on: Wed, 04/07/1999 - 4:35pm
Sue's picture
Sue
Offline
Joined: 02/13/1999 - 09:00

Hi,
My 4 year old daughter is allergic to peanut products and eggs. Does anyone know whether an allergy reaction to peanuts can be just the throwing up - no rash or breathing problems. How about any info on throwing up and a slight fever? Any info on a slight fever during an allergy attack?
Thanks,
Sue

Posted on: Thu, 04/08/1999 - 1:32am
SteveW's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/08/1999 - 09:00

My son vomited almost immediately after eating a peanut cracker. My allergist (from Johns Hopkins) said that this was positive as much of the allergen was expelled immediately. He said there are study's showing a correlation between severity and amount consumed. However, he said that one symptom could be swelling of the stomach and then vomiting which would not be positive.
My interpretation of our discussion is this:
If you vomit immediately much of the allergen is expelled (positive). If you vomit after a period of time then it's probably a systemic reaction (negative).

Posted on: Thu, 04/08/1999 - 5:30am
CarolH's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/08/1999 - 09:00

My daughter, age 4, has had only two bad reactions to peanut butter. The first one was vommiting and difficult breathing, but she did not get any hives or swelling. Her second reaction, her lower face got all red then her face puffed up big time. So she had two reactions each totally different. The first one, which didn't change her outward appearance, was the more dangerous one.

Posted on: Thu, 10/21/2004 - 11:05pm
crazydaisy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/14/2003 - 09:00

.
------------------
The Daisy Thanks You

Posted on: Sat, 10/23/2004 - 12:56pm
darthcleo's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

my son had a touch of chickpeas (it was visible to the naked eye, but it wouldn't qualify as a bite, it was *very* small) by stealing a carrot from my plate.
Vomiting was *immediate* !!!

Posted on: Sat, 10/23/2004 - 3:12pm
mamakat21894's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/23/2004 - 09:00

My 2 yr old kept breaking out in hives and i couldn't understand why. The doctor told me that it just happens sometimes and he told me to give him benadryl (which we later found out he was red food dye #40 A) this went on for another week. Everyday i would make my older son lunch. peanut butter on crackers. every day he would break out and start cough. The dr. told me that what my so had was bug bites. I drove the poor exterminator crazy. I called the doctor asked for an allergist. Thank god I did. He ended up testing for food allergies. peanuts was sever. i carry epi pens with me at all times. The worst reaction that he ever had was at a resterant. My cousin was retiring and the entire family went out to eat. I told them that my son had a sever peanut allergy. They were accomitating or so i thought. My neice gave him a bite of a fried cheese stick. He started to get very tired and about 1/2 an hour later he was vomiting so bad. He ended up in the hospital overnight. I didn't know that vomiting was a sign.

Posted on: Sun, 10/24/2004 - 3:55am
California Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2000 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by mamakat21894:
[b] He started to get very tired and about 1/2 an hour later he was vomiting so bad. [/b]
mamakat, you have described my dd's past reactions to a "t".
What a shame that your son's original doctor was so clueless. I am so glad you managed to get a competent opinion, after all.
[img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] Miriam

Posted on: Sun, 07/02/2006 - 5:38am
tidina's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/26/2005 - 09:00

yesterday driving home from the zoo with my husband, my son threw up. he said the car smelled funny. he had a strawberry nutrigrain bar which he had before. after that he had juice, started choking and threw up. the only other things he had that day were home made funnel cake (i wonder if it was too greasy), juice, milk, and his new gummi vitamin. he has been taking these for about a week. they have coconut oil and iodine in them. im going to call allergist tomorrow to see if he needs further testing because he has only ever thrown up after eating nuts. my husband gave him benadryl and he was fine. when he ate nuts he didnt even get benadryl and was always fine after throwing up.
[This message has been edited by tidina (edited July 02, 2006).]

Posted on: Sun, 07/02/2006 - 10:06am
cathlina's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/29/2001 - 09:00

Could be a strawberry allergy?
Don't forget, you can develop an allergy at any time.

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...