Used Epi for 1st Time Today!


I got a call from the school around 10:00 am today saying that Timmy was having an allergic reaction and they had given him benedryl at 9:30. They said he started out with eye swelling and a few hives but was now coughing. I raced to the school (had to get my 8 yos dressed quick first as he has been home from school with a high fever the last two days). I picked him up and brought him home and gave him a breathing treatment. Afterward it seemed to help for a little while but then he started to get worse again. He was sounding breathless when he talked and said his chest hurt really bad and had a hard time walking (as he usually does when he has an asthma attack). I called the allergist and asked him what to do and he said Epi and hospital. I had to literally hold him down to get him to let me give him the shot. He was totally hysterical!!! It really shocked me as we've talked a lot about it and I've told him what other kids on here have said, that it didn't hurt that bad. Come to find out later that when we went to the ER two and a half weeks ago when he had double pneumonia he heard a kid in another room getting a shot and screaming his head off and hysterical, so it gave him the idea that it was going to hurt really bad! Well, when I finally got the shot in his thigh he went from screaming to a big smile on his face! I said, see- it wasn't near as bad as you thought it would be was it? He grinned and sheepishly said, no. [img][/img] I took him to the ER (leaving his brother with the 95 year old lady next door till my friend could get here to pick him up). They were kinda surprised that I brought him to the ER because he was doing so well by that point! The Dr said the nurses questioned him on it and he told them that normally kids come in to be checked out after an Epi to make the parent feel better!?! [img][/img] I think I'm going to print up some info to take with me the next time! They seem sooooooooo clueless when it comes to allergies at this hospital!! UGH! Doesn't really help me to feel any better! I stayed for a couple of hours but he really did seem to be a lot better so I went ahead and taught one of my classes but told the principal that I wanted to keep him with me where I could keep an eye on him. He agreed. Of course Timmy had a ball being a first grader with a class full of 9th graders doting on him [img][/img] Anyway, alls well that ends well- I'm just still keeping a close eye on him for a biphasic reaction.

I don't think I'll ever hesitate again to give him the Epi. It was such an instantaneous help to his breathing it was just amazing! I don't think he'll ever be frightened of it again either, which is a big plus if they ever have to give him the shot at school.

Take Care, Valerie

On Sep 20, 2002

Hi Valerie,

I am so glad that your son is okay! Did the school say what Timmy had eaten or touched to cause this reaction?

I find it amazing how some ER people handle food allergies! Our son's allergist & Ped both specified that anytime an Epi is administered that a follow up to the ER is mandatory so vital's can be monitored and the proper meds can be administered via the ER personnel, ie steroids; Benadryl and another Epi if required.

In fact, our doctors also stated to make sure he went to the ER by way of Rescue so if another *attack* happened on the way, the paramedics could assist him and plus the fact if they do come by Ambulance, there is no waiting for go straight to the ER room with absolutely no waiting!

Using an EpiPen is a very scary thing. How is Mom? [img][/img]

------------------ Stay Safe!


On Sep 20, 2002


I'm so glad everything went well. How old is Timmy? Want to know more about what the heck could cause a reaction at 10:00 a.m.?

A Good thread to start would be to ask those of you that have used an epipen, if you feel less frightened or more frightened now that you HAD to use one? More empowered, experienced, man the list could go on.

On Sep 20, 2002

Connie and Smack, Thank you for the support [img][/img] I'm still feeling a little shaky, but doing pretty well I guess.

First I'll try to answer your questions:


The teacher had no idea what caused the reaction. Timmy said that shortly after he got to school his eyes seemed a little itchy. He waited till the whole class had a bathroom break and looked into the mirror to see if his eyes were puffy before letting the teacher know [img][/img] We will be having a little talk about waiting to tell her. The only thing that I could come up with is that occasionally Daddy will eat boiled pn's in his work truck and wash up real good before coming home and he gave the kids a ride to work in his truck this morning, but when I questioned him about it he said its been months since he has eaten any... So at this point I'm clueless as to what its from??? The only other thing is maybe there was pn residue on the cafeteria tables where he sat before school for 10 minutes???


That was my thoughts exactly! I requested that they take his blood pressure and they poo-poo'ed the idea saying that the oxygen sats are much more reliable??? Is this true? They said they almost never take the blood pressure of anyone under 15 because it was never accurate??


I'm feeling like I need someone just to let me break down and cry on their shoulder and let all of the anguish out!! I have stayed together all day and put on a brave front but now that its all over, I just really feel the need to lose it!

>>> How old is Timmy?<<<

He will be 7 years old on Sunday!


Still clueless!


At this point I feel a LOT less frightened about using the epi! I feel that I would never hesitate to use it again if the need arose and feel much more empowered. Actually I think Timmy feels the same way! He just came to me and asked me if he could try to do the Epi on himself the next time he needs it... he promised to practice all the time with the trainer LOL... I don't think I'm quite ready for him to do it himself at just turning 7 though!

Thanks again for being here for me [img][/img] Valerie

On Sep 20, 2002

It is stressful on the parents whenever there is a reaction. Our DS has had one that required epi and it was 14 months ago now. I am still not over it. He remembers it and he is now just 4. That reaction helps him stay safe now and follow the rules.

We would NEVER hesitate to give Epi. That is the one thing in our control and can save a life if given during the first 30 min of a reaction. It makes them feel better IMMEDIATELY.

I think the school should have called you right away. They waited too long. We have instructed the school to call us for any systemic complaint from our DS and we carry epi in an epibelt on myself and my DH and one of us has the 'red phone' on us at all times and are within 10 min of the school. School also has epi.

thank goodness your son is doing well.

On Sep 20, 2002

AAA, I agree that they should have called me sooner... I live only 1 mile from the school, so I can be there in about 1-2 minutes or less [img][/img] There were actually 4 shots at school today. 1 in the office, 1 in Timmy's book bag, and 2 shots and benedryl in a case he had on him (he had an Allergy Pack which we absolutely loved and he lost it at the beach last week- I had reordered another one and got it in the mail just today... I just love those packs!!! It is so assuring to have it on him again! He had to use a fanny pack after he lost it and just hated it! The Allergy Pack hangs from his belt and he forgets its there, but it has a large Allergy logo on it so anyone would know at a glance what was in it. A benedryl fastmelt cut in a circle fits on top of the top of the shot right under the cap of the case just perfectly so he always has the shot and benedryl on him at all times.)

Take Care, Valerie

On Sep 21, 2002

Just checking in to see how you are. How is Timmy feeling?

I hope your son has a wonderful birthday tomorrow.

------------------ Stay Safe!


On Sep 21, 2002

Connie, He's just having a slight problem with the asthma but is real active and having a fun day with Daddy [img][/img]

Thanks for asking, Valerie

On Sep 26, 2002

hy valery i just wanted to check how timmy is doing and also michael is waiting for robbys email so please let him know and let us know how dit you manage ok stay safe thomas

On Sep 27, 2002

Having used the Epi when my daughter had a few hives, swelling around the eyes, wheezing and no difficulty breathing, I think you are very brave to have treated him first with a nebulizer. I would have been afraid that the blood pressure would be dropping while I was taking the ten or fifteen minutes to do the nebulizer. This may sound a little wierd, but when my daughter had her reaction, I was more frightened of not using the Epi than of using it. It was in a way easier to use it than to have to make a decision not to and worry that she would get worse.

Glad to hear he is okay. A few months ago there were some posts, one by Cindy, about people dying even though Epi was given. I asked our allergist about this. He said that if you wait until the blood pressure is dropping, there isn`t good perfusion to the body, and often the medication stays in the thigh. He said that in the cases where Epi was used and the person died, the Epi was used 30 minutes or more after the reaction started. It`s great that you saw that it wasn`t all that bad doing it.

[This message has been edited by Carefulmom (edited September 27, 2002).]

On Sep 27, 2002

I agree.

I think the school waited too long.


On Sep 28, 2002

I know I'm getting in here late, but just wanted to share how helpful it is for me to read about this. Thank you for sharing your experience, Valerie. It's reassuring to hear that you are all are okay. I understand your need to let it all out after keeping a brave front. I imagine that this will be one of those "traumatic" experiences that will always stay with you. Thanks again for letting us learn from you.


On Sep 28, 2002

The people at the hospital do need to educate themselves about biphasic reactions, those that come back after diminishing the first time. That is the reason you go to the hospital and stay 4-6 hours, even if the patient appears to be fine.

On Sep 28, 2002

Regarding biphasic reactions...Lauren's only anaphylactic reaction was biphasic. There was no chance of a second exposure because after the 1st reaction, the only thing she did is go to bed. Nothing else. She woke up with another reaction 8 or 9 hours later! So, 4 to 6 hours, I believe, is an average, but it can happen later.

Lauren's allergist said for us to make the ER check a level in her blood and if that was within norm...then the reaction was over. I can't remember the name and don't have it at my fingertips right now. Keep the name in her Epi-bag. It was something like triptase. I'll post it when I get it.

On Sep 29, 2002

Thank you for your concern everyone, you all brought up some excellent points. The school DID wait too long to call me, I have spoken to them in regards to this and they will call me immediately in the future. What happened was the teacher gave him benedryl right away but kept second guessing herself because the reaction did not seem as severe as most others that he has had (I agreed with that) I told her that from now on to call me immediately when there are any symptoms of a reaction and I will make the call on whether it is severe or not. She was worried that I would think she was over-reacting or that she couldn't handle it. I told her that I would rather come when it wasn't neccessary rather than get there too late- never to hesitate to call cause I am only a mile away and it only takes a few minutes to get to the school and evaluate the situation. I know that I have second guessed myself many times in the past so I know that it can be easy for others to do also. In fact today my son started having a reaction after Sunday School. His one eye was a little itchy. I found out what was given out in SS by the substitute teacher- everything was safe and Timmy had not eaten anything but a safe mint. I kept him with me and the reaction never progressed beyond an itchy eye and a little tummy ache and his chest hurting a little bit. Now, after reading your reply's I'm beginning to wonder if I should have used the Epi?? I gave him benedryl and he was active and playing, no real distress. Its so hard to know where to draw the line sometimes... Am I the only one who feels this way or do you usually use the Epi and not benedryl for every slight reaction even? I feel if I did that he would get it once or twice a week!

Thanks again, Valerie

On Sep 30, 2002

Hi Valerie, I understand what you mean. My son also has the itchy eye, runny nose, a few sneezes or contact itchiness in certain situations. I think that we really need to watch them and make our decisions depending on the situation (i.e. if they ate something, contact, or possibly an environmental allergy). If a child's past experience has only been to react with anaphylaxis, then the decision would be to use the epi immediately if any reaction occurred, but to use it very often, if not needed, followed by an ambulance ride to the ER, would be psychologically very difficult on both the child and the adult.

You handled both situations wonderfully! When your son had a bad reaction, you used the epi and went to the ER, and when it was less serious, you watched him until he was fine. I think that it is much more difficult to have to evaluate the situation, but what else can we do? Andrea

On Oct 22, 2002

Today just one month and 2 days since his last anaphalactic reaction Timmy had his second one!

The worst part about this reaction is that I have NO IDEA where it came from! UGH! His eye was very slightly swollen last night before he went to bed. It has been doing that every so often lately but soon goes away (even had him sleep with us a couple times but he was fine). Well, this morning he woke up with 2 big shiners, 3 or 4 hives, sneezing HUGE amounts of mucous, and complaining that his throat itched. I didn't even hesitate this time. I knew it was anaphalactic by the number of areas affected and the severity and grabbed the epi and gave it to him. I dropped the other 3 quickly off at school (only 1 mile from here) and rushed him to the ER. This time since his eyes and lips were still quite puffy they took me more seriously and kept him for several hours. He seems to be doing better right at the moment but I'm scared to death of a biphasic reaction because it took a double dose of benedryl and steroids to make the eye swelling go down and it is still not completely gone and his lips are still pretty swollen. I did get quite a few compliments at the hospital about being so allergy aware... I told them it was due to the website... don't know where I'd be without it!!! Thank you Patty and Chris!

Gotta go to a PTF meeting tonight and my boys are supposed to sing at it (I'm a teacher) not sure if Timmy will feel up to it or not, we'll see.

Take Care, Valerie

On Nov 4, 2002

I hope your son got over his last reaction quickly without a second reaction.

Thanks so much for sharing your story as I learn through what you all write.

On Nov 13, 2002

Timmy got over his last reaction after several days of steroids. Now we are dealing with ear infections and asthma. I guess its "that time of year" again [img][/img]

Take Care, Valerie

On Nov 13, 2002

what does his allergist say may be the triggering these reaction?I have heard of idopathic hives.

On Nov 21, 2002

We came to the conclusion that the last anaphalactic reaction was from a bite of Chip's Ahoy Cookies. [img][/img] I need to get him back in to see the allergist though as the nightime eye swelling has come back again lately. One day this week I gave him benedryl and a steroid at bedtime and had to give it to him again in the morning. Poor thing was groggy all day at school! I can't figure out for the life of me what is causing these mysterious bedtime reactions. I thought maybe it was the pillow or blankets that he sleeps with so the other day I took every pillow and blanket in the entire house to the laundromat! Not a small feat with a household of 6! It cost over $30 and his eyes STILL swelled that night! UGH!! Oh well, at least we all have clean blankies, right? [img][/img]

Take Care, Valerie

On Nov 22, 2002

Hi Valerie, I'm sorry that your son is going through this. Could it be the detergent or a soap/shampoo that he is using before bed? Mystery reactions are so difficult!

Good luck and I hope he feels better soon, Andrea

On Nov 22, 2002

What shampoo is he using?

I was using a Johnson's product this summer and I started waking up with itchy eyes, my eyes had some mucous. No problems during the day.

I washed my pillow case and it would be better for a day.

Then I tried changing shampoos and the symptoms disappeared. Also, could be a bath soap causing it.

Do you have down pillows or comforters? I can't tolerate these either.

On Nov 22, 2002

Did you find out what it was? I had those aweful nighttime eye reactions as a child. I would wake up with both eyes swollen shut and nothing would make it better (parents didn't know about benadryl for situations like that).

Anyway, we realized that it was from being outside, the environmental allergies that I suffer from would get in my hair (pollen, etc), and then it would get all over my pillowcase. You can't see it, but your rubbing your eyes and face all over the allergen all night long, which was my problem. I've found that during high pollen seasons especially, I have to wash my hair every single night, or else wash the pillow case every single day to avoid this problem.

Didn't know if that would help or not, but your poor baby's symptoms sounded exactly like mine.


On Nov 27, 2002

I still haven't figured it out yet. I think it is something in the house and am wondering if maybe his allergy to the dog has gotten worse. It was just a slight allergy and the allergist said not to be concerned about it (about a year or so ago). He has very severe reactions to cats and bunnies so I'm thinking the dog may be the culprit. We are home from school today for vacation and his eyes are itchy now and he's been up for hours. I do after school care till 6pm each night and it would be late by the time we got home so that is probably why I didn't realize that it was whenever he was at home. I will be putting the dog outside (don't worry it hasn't gotten much below 50 at night so he'll be ok) till we find out if that is the problem. I'm going to give the house a good cleaning today. Looking for a babysitter I can trust to keep him for a few hours while I do it.

Thanks for the ideas. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of all this SOON!

Take Care, Valerie

On Dec 19, 2002

I hope you find out what your son is reacting to at night. That can be so aggrivating to no know what is going on.

One thing I've noticed in many posts here is that many people ask to have the school call them and let them assess the situation. We directed our sons school to call 911 immediately, and call us after that. I will always call 911 myself whenever I think my son is having an anaphylactic reaction.

His last reaction was at a school function and a nurse friend of mine was there too. She called 911 while I was giving him his epi-pen. She told the dispatcher it was an anaphylactic reaction with epi being administered. We had 3 ambulances and a fire truck at the school in minutes. His breathing was improving by the time they got there, but they monitored his heart and bp, gave him oxygen and ventolin, and then took us to the hospital (without sirens).

On the ride to the hospital I asked the attendant why we had gotten such a huge emergency response. He said an anaphylactic reaction is a top priority for them, right up there with heart attacks. All available units were dispatched with the hope that one would get there in time. We happen to live on the border of 2 cities so we got ambulances from both, and the city we actaully live in sends firemen to all 911 calls for ambulance, and luckily the fire hall is only a couple of blocks away.

Of course at the hospital our son was seen immediately by a doctor, becasue the ambulance people alert the staff in the ER while we were en route. Also, if he had gotten worse on the way to the hospital they have the equipment to deal with it, and can put on the siren and lights and scream to the hospital.

In our province (BC) we have to pay $64 for an ambulance, and I'm afraid many people hesitate because of this. It was the best $64 I've ever spent, and I would never hesitate to call an ambulance. If you make a mistake and it is not anaphylactic, the ambulance can leave. It's not a big deal.

I'm not writing this you tell you what you did wrong (we drove our son to the hospital for his first anaphylactic reaction). I'm just saying why I do what I do, and it may be something to keep in mind.

I have now given him his epi pen twice now. The doctor on the first ER visit made me do it so I would be more comfortable. That was a good idea, I felt much better about it the second time. My son has now been instructed to inject himself instead of trying to convince someone else. I still train anyone he spends time with, and tell them he is to do it if he is capable. We have spent a lot of time using the practice epi-pen. If anyone doesn't have a practice epi-pen I would highly recommend getting one. ------------------ Cynde Punch

[This message has been edited by cynde (edited December 19, 2002).]

On Dec 19, 2002

Well, the night time reactions did finally go away for a few weeks then this week he started breaking out in HORRIBLE hives! I still haven't figured out the cause but I'm fairly certain it was from Easy Mac Nacho flavor. He had never had them before and I had a lot of errands to run Saturday late afternoon and dh fed the kids supper of Easy Mac with hamburger in it. Sunday morning he woke up with several "normal" sized hives. (About the size of a dime to a quarter). We could not figure out what he reacted to. Sunday afternoon I had to run some errands to get the boys new ties for the Christmas program they were in that night at Church and Daddy again fed them the Easy Mac (He HAS eaten the regular Easy Mac with no problems before). By the time I got home his neck was covered with hives the size of half a dollar bill. By that night after church he had about ten or twelve hives the size of a dollar bill on his back, chest and face. I was horrified and he slept with us that night after taking benedryl... needless to say Mommy didn't sleep at all! No other symptoms appeared other than the hives. For four days straight he had hives the size of dollar bills! At times there was barely a spot of normal skin on his chest and back anywhere to be seen and they were huge under his arms and behind his knee's also. I've never seen them sooooo big! They finally went away yesterday. I'm so thankful that the poor thing can get some peace from the itchiness and that Mommy can get some much needed sleep!

As for the ambulance... I probably should have called one for this last reaction but I was stuck at home with 4 children, 3 of which needed to be at school and no other way to get them there and go to the hospital with Timmy at the same time. He seemed to be doing much better after I gave him the epi pen and the school is 2 minutes from home and the hospital is only about 5 minutes. It would have taken longer to wait on the ambulance than it did to take the others to school and him to the hospital. If he were still having breathing problems I would not have hesitated to call the ambulance. As for the school calling me first... I am more comfortable with that as I am only a couple minutes away. They are really good about calling about any complaints of his at all. I also know that they are now calling me IMMEDIATELY when something comes up... as opposed to waiting it out like they were- even if they don't think it is serious they still call (twice last week and the week before), so I know that they will if something really does come up if that makes sense. Since I am so close and can tell by a quick description on the phone if it is anaphalactic or not I can tell them to use the Epi Pen and call 911. I do not want them to use the epi for just hives for instance as he has had these for the past week- I'd rather call it myself and that takes a LOT of pressure off of the school.

Hope this makes sense! Valerie

On Jun 6, 2003

Wednesday night we went to a church spaghetti supper and the thought of peanut never crossed my mind. I thought, OK, spaghetti and a roll- no problem- we can handle that! Timmy and Bethany sat at a kids table and Robbie and Becky sat by me. We opened our container of food and there was a macadamia nut cookie! Ok, Mom starts freaking out and runs to Timmy to grab his food!!! Wouldn't you know it he had already opened the container and touched the cookie and rubbed his eyes- and worse yet- his was a peanut butter cookie! I wasn't positive if it was pb at first and asked the lady that made them (who is well aware of ds's allergy but doesn't really understand it very well- he is never allowed to take food from her... very sweet lady though.) Anyway, she says yes, I made peanut butter cookies but I didn't put NUTS in them Several of us just looked at her in shock and I then explained that peanut butter is made from peaNUTs!

I took him to the bathroom and washed his hands and he seemed fine for about the first 30-45 minutes then started to complain that his throat was itchy and his lip and eyes were slightly swollen. I still wasn't sure if it was a true reaction or if he was reacting to me freaking out. By this time we were in the church service. Near the end of church he started itching the outside of his throat and rubbing at it with his shirt and then I started to hear him cough and clear his throat. I rushed the other 3 kids home to Daddy (1 mile away), gave him the epi pen and rushed to the ER. By the time we got to the ER he was much improved.

After being triaged we were put into a waiting room and after we had been there a few minutes I noticed something under several chairs... after closer inspection I realized it was a spilled bag of peanuts!!! Can't get away from the fool things nohow!

Anyway, thats been our exciting night and the fourth time we have used the epi pen in the past 9 months! YIKES!


PS: He is doing much better. He's needed benedryl but seems fine now.

On Jun 6, 2003

Holy Cow Valerie, just unbelievable.

I'm so sorry you and your son had to deal with this all over again.

Some education is in order for some of these church people that organize dinners.

On Jun 6, 2003

Smack, Thanks for your reply. Yes I do need to educate them. I would love to get a video from fan, just haven't been able to afford it yet. I feel responsible for the reaction because it is my responsibility to keep him safe and check the food before he touches it. I was way too lax! It was a fund raising dinner for the teens who are going to camp soon and the cost is $175 each. I wanted to help out because I know its important for the teens to go. I will be WAY more vigilant in the future and will probably not allow anymore church dinners unless I bring all his food and he sits by me.


On Jun 6, 2003

Valerie, I have the video from FAAN I would gladly copy and send out to you no charge. Use my email if you are interested. Peg

On Jun 6, 2003

Valerie, I'm so sorry you and your son have been through so much. You mentioned in September(?) that Timmy wanted to use the trainer so he'd be able to do it himself if he needed to. Has he been practicing? Have you let him use an expired one? I posted this somewhere else but I feel it's worth repeating, when teaching someone (or practicing yourself) hold the pen in a fist, don't push by the end. In an emergency you could panic and not only inject yourself but no longer have an epi for the person having the reaction. Also, don't hold the orange (or whatever) in your hand, put it on a table. As you know, it's a long needle; don't want to inject yourself by accident.


Originally posted by CVRTBB: [b] A benedryl fastmelt cut in a circle fits on top of the top of the shot right under the cap of the case just perfectly so he always has the shot and benedryl on him at all times.) [/b]

I realize this is an old post, but, are you talking about the e-belt? I've ordered one for my son and have been trying to figure out how to carry a few benedryl. I've never heard of fastmelt, but he has chewable. Could be another that's not available in Canada. [img][/img]

I was thinking of checking girl guide supplies. They used to have a belt and one of the things that hung on it was a little pouch, I thought it might work for carrying a few benedryl.

On Jun 6, 2003

Anna Marie, The allergy pack Timmy uses is found here [url=""][/url] he uses the Pen Pal original, but I would love to get him the pen pal combo next time so that he can carry 2 epi pens and his inhaler. The reason I had not done that yet is because he needed a spacer for the inhaler so it wouldn't have done much good. This is a WONDERFUL company and very prompt with sending out orders. We have ordered from them twice now and just LOVE the pen pal!

As for the benedryl... the chewable works as well as the fast melt. What I do is cut around the tablet in a circle so that it is still enclosed but the shape is a circle instead of a sqaure. I then take the clear lid off of the amber case that the epi pen itself is in and put the benedryl on top of the gray end cap of the epi pen. I then replace the clear lid. It is a perfect fit! It is a wonderful way to always have benedryl on us at all times.

Hope this helps, Valerie

Oh, btw... I handle the epi just the way you said, I've never had any problems with injecting it. The problem the first time was getting him still for 1 second to do it... he literally had to be held down. He is wonderful now... stays very still. He has practiced on an orange a couple of times with expired epis and uses his trainer a lot, but is still not comfortable injecting himself (doesn't want Daddy to do it either). I figure he's got enough going on in a reaction to fight over who's going to give the shot, so I'll just do it till he feels comfortable with doing it. We did have a good talk the other night after we left the ER on why it would be wise to let Daddy give him the shot, as then he would be more comfortable doing it if Mommy were not around. He now understands why I asked Daddy to do it Wednesday night... I did give it though because he was insistant and I didn't want to add to his stress. I am confident that if Timmy HAD to do it he could, and to me that is what is important at 7 years old [img][/img]

On Jun 7, 2003

My son carries the pen pal combo on his belt for a few years now. He has no problem with it, it is like a part of his body now. peg

On Jun 7, 2003

Thats the way it is with Timmy too... he just puts it on his belt every morning and forgets it. It has become so much a part of him that at times when I have asked him if he had his shot on before we would leave home he would have to look to be sure! We love it!

I had a lady from church ask me why Timmy always carries a flashlight... huh? Then I realized she meant his shot so I explained what it was and what it was for [img][/img] .


On Jun 9, 2003

Valerie, I'm so sorry to hear your story. It must have been just terrifying enough for you and then to be in the waiting room and see spilled peanuts on the floor---it's like some sort of Peanut Devil, Twilight Zone thing.

It hurts just to read about it.

I really hope you and Timmy are doing well. It does take a while to get over all those emotions that a reaction can cause---don't forget to give yourself plenty of time and patience.

It can sometimes help to do something proactive like maybe even some sort of education with your fellow spaghetti eating congragants. There may be more nice old ladies who don't know that peanut butter is squashed peanuts and an epi-pen is not a flashlight.

Timmy sure sounds like one brave and strong little guy.

On Jun 9, 2003

Oh Valerie, I was so upset for you to see that Timmy had another reaction. I imagine you are exhausted, since it seems you just got through one.

My thoughts are with you and Timmy, you both deserve a big hug.

And great time of day, peanuts in the ER...I bet your heart sank, that was the last thing you wanted to see.

Many hugs to you,

Lana [img][/img]

On Jun 15, 2003

Timmy is doing great right now! We are visiting all of my family in New York (got here on Tuesday pm). I actually left the kids with my sister while I went 3 hours away (overnight) to photograph a wedding this weekend. I was a nervous wreck the whole time, but he did great. The wedding was beautiful! It was for a girl that I babysat as a baby and toddler. She used to go on trips to NY with me for the weekend when she was 2 and 3... now she is 20 and married! Time sure does fly!

I was going to take just Timmy with me at first, but there was no place for us to stay that they did not have cats and he has a severe cat allergy. He did great with my sister, so all's well that ends well [img][/img]

I gotta get some sleep! Was up till 2:30 am driving back from the wedding last night and I'm on the verge of exhaustion!

Thanks for your care and concern! They mean a lot to me! Valerie

On Jun 17, 2003

Valerie - I was so happy to hear Timmy's doing well now. So nice you are able to enjoy a little trip away, being able to visit with your family, and extra special knowing that your kids are safe being with your sister.

And how cool is that being able to photography the girl on her important day - she must have loved you as a babysitter and how nice it was that you never lost touch with her and her family. Just so cool!

Great news on Timmy feeling so much better after the last episode.

By CVRTBB on Dec 5, 2012

Just came across these old posts! Hard to believe that 10 years have past! Timmy is now 17 and on his own. He is finished with school (ended up homeschooling for 3 years due to the amount of reactions he was having at school). He has a full time job and is getting married in March. He is a typical teenage boy who thinks he's invincible but is still very careful of what he eats. Miss being on here! My 14 yr old daughter is also PA but had never had an anaphalactic reaction.

By Estrada on Feb 15, 2013

I'm 12 and I get really i allergic to penuts and sometimes when I'm at school or at a friends house I get really nervous and scared when I think I'm having a reaction and I just can't relax does anobody know how to calm down. Thanks

By jiffycansuckit on Feb 26, 2013

Do you have an Epi-Pen?