Trapped in Australia!

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

Hi everyone,

I went to Perth International Airport last night (Saturday 6th) for my flight home to Dublin via Dubai and London Heathrow with Emirates. Unfortunately, my flight was cancelled because Dubai is enveloped in fog. The airline had rebooked me onto another flight with Qantas and Singapore Airlines which was leaving today at some point. However, due to all the stuff I've read here about Qantas and pa, I told them that I didn't want to fly with them and asked to be put on the next available Emirates flight. Which isn't until tomorrow night (Monday 9th). Also, there are no flights to Heathrow available so have to fly to Gatwick instead, and will then have to get a coach connection to Heathrow because my Aer Lingus flight to Dublin is from there. So it's all a bit of a nightmare.

Anyway, the reason I am telling all you good people about this is because I am worried about the fog not lifting by tomorrow and my Emirates flight being cancelled again. It is very awkward with the pa (as you all know) as am not comfortable flying on Qantas. I might be able to get on a Singapore or Malaysian flight - does anyone have any experience with them? I've read that Singapore can be quite accommodating, but I am worried because of the short notice that it might make things more difficult. I can't really afford to be delayed any longer as have been off work for several weeks already and now have to take an extra day (providing I am able to fly out on Monday). Does anyone have any advice on the best way to arrange pn free flights with the other airlines in this situation (if Emirates flight is cancelled again)?

Also, on a non pa note, do I have any recourse with the airline for the fact that I have to pay to change my connecting flight to Dublin and also have the inconvenience of travelling between Heathrow and Gatwick through no fault of my own? I asked Emirates already but they said it's not their responsibility. I could just book a new flight from Gatwick - Dublin with another airline but I would be considerably out of pocket what with cost of new flight and cancellation of existing flight. I have travel insurance but it does not provide for cancellation/missing flights (although might get something for delay).

Thanks, hope all that made sense.

Michelle

[This message has been edited by MichelleR (edited March 07, 2004).]

On Mar 7, 2004

MichelleR - I wish I could help here - but I can't. Hope you get your flights straightened out and it doesn't come out of your pocket! I have heard good things about Singapore Airlines, too. Good luck - keep us posted if you can. Hope you get home soon [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

On Mar 7, 2004

Michelle, It sounds awful. I wouldn't have any idea what to do in your situation. I read your post to my husband because he travels a lot (and he's going to Dubai on Friday!) but he just shook his head and said those long flights with connections get complicated. But sometimes a direct flight just isn't possible. I hope by the time you read this you'll have it figured out. Good luck.

On Mar 7, 2004

You poor thing!

I'm glad in one sense that Emirates accommodated your request not to fly on other airines - they could have got nasty over that - but the Gatwick / Heathrow issue should bea ble to be worked out with them.

Would you have a chance of flying to Heathrow if you tried to change flights when you got to Dubai?

Or can you change flights at (Perth) check-in to fly to Dublin from Gatwick? If you check-in right through (including your luggage) mayby the airports will match up?

Good luck and I hope you enjoyed your stay over here [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Geoff (Helen's hubby)

On Mar 7, 2004

Hi again and thanks for your sympathy!

I think Dubai airport is open again so hopefully will be able to go home on Emirates flight this evening. Unfortunately, will have to fly to Gatwick as there are no seats on the Dubai - Heathrow flights at all. Also, Geoff, it's not possible to change my flight to Dublin as I did not book the flights through an agent together - I booked a flight with Emirates London - Perth and then a separate flight with Aer Lingus from Heathrow to Dublin - they don't fly between Gatwick and Dublin so I can't change it. I could just get a new flight with another airline but it would be quite expensive at this short notice, and I can't get a refund on the other flight! So the coach it is which will be a hassle as I will have to bring my giant suitcase as well as myself. I do intend to write to Emirates to see if I can get any compensation for the coach trip fare and the cost of changing my flights but I do not hold out much hope of getting anything. I should be able to get some monay from my travel insurance but it will probably be like trying to get blood out of a stone...

Anyway, I looked on the bright side and just considered it a two day extension to my holiday before I head back to -4 degree temperatures at home!

Michelle

On Mar 8, 2004

Bummer.

Good luck with the compo, and I hope Perth put on some good weather for your extension!

Geoff

Related