Tonights CBS News

Posted on: Mon, 01/27/2003 - 10:11am
SpudBerry's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/23/2002 - 09:00

Did anyone else see the news tonight? Some guy in Australia (I think) developed a "severe" nut allergy, like there is anything other than a "severe" nut allergy. They then looked further into the liver he'd received from a transplant. The liver had come from a 15 year old boy that died from a peanut reaction.

The story then said that they would be screening organ donors better - I'm not sure whether they meant that they wouldn't allow peanut allergic folks to donate or whether they just meant that they needed to inform the recipient.

I have kind of mixed feelings about the story - my main feeling is that of thinking it's good for people to hear about other people actually dying from a peanut exposure - the more people hear these stories the more they might take me seriously about my son. Of course it also makes me very sad and scared to hear of a 15 year old that actually died.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Sherlyn - mom to Mike 3 years old and "severely" allergic to peanut.

[This message has been edited by SpudBerry (edited January 27, 2003).]

Posted on: Mon, 01/27/2003 - 12:37pm
joeybeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2006 - 09:00

it's hard to actually hear about someone dying from peanut exposure. i think about it from time to time, of course, but i never REALLY think about it. it's hard to digest that kind of information when you have a child (or two in my case) that the same thing could happen to. i'm also sorry for that child and his/her family.
going a totally different direction... if i had to choose between taking an organ from a PA donor or not getting an organ, i'd certainly take my chances. living with PA isn't always a lot of fun but it's better than not living at all (a lot better than not living at all). my girls have lots of fun and the only times we have a hard time with PA is when other people are "buttheads" about it (their words, not mine). : )
so sad to hear of someone dying from something that most likely could have been prevented. i would be curious to know the exact circumstances surrounding the child's death. might be educational for all of us here.
joey

Posted on: Mon, 01/27/2003 - 12:57pm
darthcleo's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

here's a link to the story
[url="http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/01/27/transplanted.allergy.ap/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/01/27/transplanted.allergy.ap/index.html[/url]

Posted on: Mon, 01/27/2003 - 10:36pm
ACBaay's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/19/2002 - 09:00

I find it very interesting that it reports the allergy "waning" after 11 months. Unfortunately, he passed away, but this might be an area to study, "what caused the transfer of the allegy, and what in his body helped the allergy to wane?"
It also seemed to want the donor's med info to inform the recipient, not to disallow the donation.
Andrea

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...