The Melting Pot

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Has anyone had any experiences at this restaurant? I did a search and found a ton of stuff about melting chocolates, but only 1 post actually related to the restaurant, from 2005, saying it was a no-go. Anyone have any recent experiences at this restaurant? I would like to go there with some fam/friends, and would obviously have my PA little one with me. I looked on the menu and they do have a pb/choc dessert... BUT a lot of people on here are ok with restaurants that dont have pn anywhere but desserts.

On Feb 26, 2008

It doesn't sound like a place I would attempt with my child. However, it sounds like a great place to go out as a group of adults (non-PA) of course.

A lot of these places have shared prep areas with "nutty" things. You would have to check the chocolate they use in the fondue, check the liquers, everything.

Unless you can get details about it I would say it's a no-go with your child. Have fondue at home - it's a lot of fun!

On Feb 26, 2008

I went to their website and looked at menu and for me its definitely a no-go. Way too many possible risks of incidental exposure for my liking.

On Feb 27, 2008

I haven't brought my PA son, but my dh and I recently went there.

You can make reservations online, and one of the questions they ask you is if anyone had a food allergy. It seemed like they were at least allergy aware.

When we sat down, the waiter asked if either of us had a food allergy. We asked about their practices and were very comfortable with the waiters' response. He said they would use new utensils to prepare anything we ordered in a separate area. Dessert items were prepped in a different area than main courses. He also offered to let us speak with the manager.

It's still a bit out of my comfort zone, but I liked how aware they seemed to be. Maybe call your local MP and see what their particular policies are.

By rawr2thepeanuts29 on Feb 28, 2009

A lot of their salads have pine nuts. Are pine nuts related to peanuts?

By Rachel-G on Feb 28, 2009

Yes, I had an experience a long time ago. They use peanut oil, and/or chicken broth, which ever you request,but as you well know the peanut oil stays in those pans, even after being washed. My friends and I had to leave quickly before my reaction got worse. They offered us a $100 gift certificate, which obviously I didn't use, but I gave it to my friends. I've not been back since. Melting Pot is NOT for anyone with a peanut allergy, which is a bummer because I've heard the desserts r amazing.

Related