Test Results

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Hi everyone! I have only posted here a couple of times.

My son, who just turned 5, is peanut allergic. He had a reaction to peanut butter several months ago .. it was a rash/hive reaction. It was the first time he tried any because he wasn't willing to try it until he went to preschool (positive peer pressure). We had him tested with a blood serum test and he came back positive to dogs and peanuts (what a combo).

We have since become super paranoid label checkers and disappointed him countless times because he could not have a particular treat. We have two epi-pens and are trained in their use.

His result was only .44 (or 123% ... percent of what I do not know) which I understand to be a Class 1. Our hyper-vigilance on the products which "may contain" or "processed in the same facility as" peanuts is justified still?

Thanks in advance, Monica

------------------

[This message has been edited by signingbaby (edited April 09, 2004).]

On Apr 9, 2004

signingbaby, hello and welcome! Im sorry to hear about your sons reaction/diagnosis. It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do. Since he has reacted I don't think you need to focus on what class, only that he is allergic and you need to avoid at all costs.

Personally I would still be vigilant about the may contains and the processed in... there are members here who have children who are class one and still had an anaphylactic reaction.

You've come to the right place and will find good info here and you can always ask any questions you have.

Hope to see you around!

On Apr 9, 2004

hello signing baby,

I'm pretty new here too, but I've found this board to be incredibly helpful. It sounds to me like you're on the right track with what you're doing. I would keep away from the may contains etc. too.

According to my allergist (anyone else chime in if they've gotten different opinions!!), the test results only show the LIKELIHOOD of an allergy, not how severely a child will react.

Here's our example (short version): my ds was due to go in for a milk challenge because his blood work indicated he might have outgrown the allergy. At playgroup right before the challenge, he took 1 --literally 1 SMALL sip of milk and had a reaction where he got hives, started itching his ears, coughing and crying. That's when my allergist clarified what test results mean.

That's why, based on our limited experience so far, I would recommend you continue being vigilant until further testing recommends otherwise. Better safe than sorry!

Good luck and welcome.

------------------ Meg, mom to: Matt 2 yrs. PA,MA,EA Sean 2 yrs. NKA

Related