Test results?

Author:
Updated:
Original:

I just talked with the nurse who did the skin test on my son and the results were 8mm welt and 20mm redness after 15 minutes. How severe is this reaction? All she could tell me was that he is very allergic. Anyway thought someone here might be able to give me some insight. Thanks, Karen

On Apr 19, 2006

What do you want to hear?

I dont know about wheal sizes, but safe to say, to ME, if there IS a wheal (bump), and the nurse says 'very allergic'...

He's allergic to the food, and you should avoid.

And you should have epi pens (and if you don't, you should call the doc/nurse RIGHT now)

Jason

------------------ [b]* Obsessed * [/b]

On Apr 19, 2006

Try these links:

[url="http://www.allergysa.org/appen9.htm"]http://www.allergysa.org/appen9.htm[/url]

[url="http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/prick-tests.html"]http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/prick-tests.html[/url]

[url="http://www.allergy-ireland.net/testing.html"]http://www.allergy-ireland.net/testing.html[/url]

[url="http://www.aaaai.org/members/allied_health/articlesofinterest/skin_testing.stm"]http://www.aaaai.org/members/allied_health/articlesofinterest/skin_testing.stm[/url]

I hope that helps!

I do agree with the points Jason made too. Allergic means you avoid and you should have epipens, etc.

[This message has been edited by Lori Anne (edited April 19, 2006).]

On Apr 19, 2006

Yes, I am interested in knowing the wheel sizes and exactly what all that means; not because I would expose him if he was only "a little" allergic, but because I would like to be as educated as possible when dealing with any of the situations out there that would place him in contact with the public. Since he is still a baby I am his only advocate when it comes to his peanut allergy. And yes, we have six epi pens in different locations and two are with him everywhere he goes. Thanks for the websites I will look into them. Karen

On Apr 19, 2006

I totally understand what you mean. I recently researched the same information for my daughter.

I think it's good to know as long as you realize that it has to be linked to past history: "A positive skin prick test merely identifies sensitisation to a particular allergen but it does not predict clinical relevance independent of the history."([url]http://www.allergy-ireland.net/testing.html[/url])

Basically, my doctor didn't even give us the skin prick test results at first. He said if it's positive, it's postive. He wanted us to take the same precautions no matter what because you never know how an allergic child will react. One reaction could be minor and the next could be worse, so he wanted us to be safe no matter what. He only gave us the results when I requested them because I wanted them for a 504 eligibility meeting at my daughter's school.

I think I understand what you are saying though. You just want to know as much as possible about your child's allergy and this is one piece of the puzzle. I can understand that. Good for you for researching and trying to know as much as possible. If we don't, who will?

I hope the links help you!

[This message has been edited by Lori Anne (edited April 19, 2006).]

On Apr 19, 2006

I was told that they really can tell "how allergic" anyone is without doing a blood test. I also asked dd's nurse the same thing and that was the answer I got..also asked another allergist the same thing and he confirmed what the nurse said. I say any reaction, avoid the food, but I totally understand your curiousity and worry!

------------------ Helen Mom to Alyssa (PA, age 5) Mom to Theodore (age 3)

On Apr 19, 2006

linking....

[url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum1/HTML/007626.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum1/HTML/007626.html[/url]

On Apr 19, 2006

Thank you again. Another part of the reason is that I am talking with a Pediatric allergy researcher tomorrow about options that may be open for my son down the road. I wanted to have some understanding of the test results etc. I did look up those websites and they were very helpful. Karen

On Apr 19, 2006

I'm glad they helped. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

On Apr 26, 2006

Reraising for mckennakatesmom

On Apr 26, 2006

In the first link up there, it says, "Care should also be taken when testing patients known to be sensitive to nuts, horses and drugs."

I understand the nuts and drugs, but horses? huh? Why horses and not other animals? I can't see why this would be an issue when SPT testing...

On Apr 26, 2006

I did a quick search to answer your question and found this:

[url="http://www.allergy.org.au/aer/infobulletins/allergen_avoidance.htm"]http://www.allergy.org.au/aer/infobulletins/allergen_avoidance.htm[/url]

The article states: Dogs, guinea pigs, mice and rabbits are not as allergenic as cats and are more easily kept outside, but can still cause annoying and occasionally serious problems. Horse allergy is very serious and even animal hair on clothes may be sufficient to trigger asthma. Great care must be taken to shower and change clothes before returning to a home of a person allergic to horses.

This article had some info too:

[url="http://immunotherapynzdocs.co.nz/SPT%20Info%20to%20Doctors%2020050525.htm"]http://immunotherapynzdocs.co.nz/SPT%20Info%20to%20Doctors%2020050525.htm[/url]

Article states: Additional SPT inhalant allergens that could be offered on an individual basis are:

1. Other specific Trees or families of Trees (see below)

2. Horse (highly allergenic, so potentially dangerous for sensitive patients)

3. Cockroach.

------------------------------

I had no clue! Very interesting and good to know though.

[This message has been edited by Lori Anne (edited April 26, 2006).]

Related