Striving to be a peanut-free children\'s museum

Author:
Updated:
Original:

I was unsure of what section to post this message in, so, as this is our first post we placed it here.

The Hamilton Children's Museum, (located in Ontario, Canada), is striving to be a peanut-free environment. We are planning to make a Bulletin Board to put in our gallery about PA and the need to be peanut-free. We would be honoured if you could help us to explain to the museum guests and increase their understanding of peanut allergies and why a peanut-free children's environment is so important.

Comments and stories about cross-contanmination of toys and air contamination would be greatly appreciated. Reading through other posts on this discussion board has increased our understanding of our need for a peanut free environment. We would like to put all replies onto our future peanut allergy bulletin board in the museum gallery. Coments and stories about how it feels to be in a peanut-free or non-peanut free environment/recreational building would also be greatly appreciated. Has anyone had a Pa experience in a museum or children's recreational building before? Comments by not only adults, but children also would be greatly appreciated since this Bulletin Board will be used to educate children and not only adults. Ideas about what to put on the proposed bulletin board would also be wonderful.

Thank You -The Hamilton Children's Museum

On Apr 23, 2001

I can't respond in detail right now, but just wanted to quickly say that this is wonderful!!! Thank you so much for being allergy aware and willing provide a safe environment for children and educate the public.

On Apr 23, 2001

Being the mother of a two year-old with a peanut allergy, you can't imagine how happy I am to here that your business will provide a peanut free environment. It is very difficult to be a parent of a child with a PA. My days are spent worrying about whether or not she will be safe and whether a visit to the library(etc.) is a risk that I want to take. This is a constant concern and I am thrilled to see that people are finally realizing the importance of peanut free environments. On behalf of all who are touched by someone with a PA - Thank-You. Let your museum set president for all others!!

On Apr 23, 2001

I'm just bowled over by your post. Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (foodallergy.org) has lots of factual information that I have made use of when preparing presentations on this issue (statistics, examples of contamination, etc.). I would recommend that you contact them for the latest data to include in your materials.

By the way, would you folks like to open a branch in the New York City area? [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]

Amy

On Apr 24, 2001

You forgot to plug your URL, so let me do it for you.

Hamilton Children's Museum

[url="http://www.city.hamilton.on.ca/CityDepartments/cultureandrecreation/museums/childrensmuseum.htm"]http://www.city.hamilton.on.ca/CityDepartments/cultureandrecreation/museums/childrensmuseum.htm[/url]

On Apr 25, 2001

I just want to say what a wonderful thing you are doing. Unfortunately, I live in Utah in the good ole' USA. I haven't heard anything about this in the states. Where did you get your awareness from? How did the people in your area get to be so lucky? Tell us about how these changes began? I am curious. There is no doubt many people will be thrilled about this. I hope it reflects a bit more in replies to your post. If not, raise the thread from time to time. Thanks C&N's Mom Alisa

On Apr 26, 2001

Thank you for making your company so aware of food allergies! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] It is too bad that I live in Massachusetts, USA for we could use a place like yours.

My 2 1/2 year old is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. She has had a reaction at our Children's Museum here in Boston, MA. Another child must have had "leftover" peanuts or nuts on his/her hands and then touched things in the museum. My daughter broke out in severe hives. We administered her medication (Benedryl) and had to watch her closely to make sure she didn't stick her hands into her mouth because then she would go into anaphylactic shock-her throat will close up and she will stop breathing. We had to leave the museum early that day because I was too worried about what else had traces of peanuts on it. A peanut free children's museum will make many food allergic children (and their mommies) very glad. Those without food allergies should realize that now ALL children can play and not worry about someone getting sick.

Congrats to you for thinking of this idea for your company. Maybe other businesses will follow your lead. We can only hope.

Shandra (mother to Madeline Rose 2 1/2 year old peanut and tree nut allergic child)

On Apr 26, 2001

I'm thrilled to learn of such a caring attitude from a museum that my family and I always enjoy visiting. I am from Hamilton and since this message was posted, have been in touch with museum staff to offer my assistance and the assistance of the Hamilton Anaphylaxis Action Network. Thanks so much for posting.

Related