staying safe as a day care teacher

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

I am not sure what to post this under so here goes.... I work at as a Teacher in a School Age Day Care Facility where the children bring lunches from home during the summer program, I am wondering if isolating the kids with nut products to one table and having them wash after eating is enough to keep me safe if another teacher cleans the table after the kids are done and is it safe for me to clean it if I wear rubber gloves? I am newly diagnosed PA and am waiting to see allergist in April. I have not reacted to touch as yet, but have been very careful. It is very frustrating at work because many of the teachers don't get that this is life threatening!!ARGH!!!! any in-put thought would be appreciated thanks Barb

On Mar 16, 2001

Barbsch, I would think it's ok for you to clean up if you wear rubber gloves. I don't know if it would be easier to separate the kids with nuts from the kids without, or just have all kids wash up after eating and have all the tables wiped down. Are we talking 2 tables, or 30 tables? Also, you said you have and appt with an allergist next month, but in the meantime, you need to have an epipen if you don't already. Have your regular doctor write a prescription while you wait for your appointment.

I would suggest you copy your post to the Living with peanut allergy board, so you'll get more responses. I don't think people read and respond to the introduction board as much.

On Mar 16, 2001

Hi Barb - I am both touch and smell sensitive and that has proved to be a challenge in my class of twelve 2 year olds. I've found what works for me is to:

1. Take my daily antihistamine before school.

2. Seat all the pb eaters at one table. My co-teacher helps them during lunch and washes them off afterward. At least with grade schoolers you probaby won't have a lot of cuddly, in your face contact.

3. After lunch I spray the table with bleach water and scrub it really well. I then mist it again and let it air dry. I hadn't thought about wearing gloves to do this - good idea!

4. If I begin to get itchy or have hay fever symptoms during lunch, I take a benadryl.

5. My co-teacher is very open to being educated (I'm lucky). She knows where my epipen is and I've shown her how to use it. I seriously doubt I'll ever need it at school though, since I always bring my own lunch. My only anaphylactic reactions have been from ingestion and the chance of me eating any of the kids' pb is about as likely as me eating a big dead roach (about as appetizing, too [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img] ).

Hope this helps a little... Rebekah

On Mar 17, 2001

I was at a lecture about anaphylaxis recently and the allergist there stated that soap is more effective than bleach in removing the peanut oil from peanut products. Soap breaks down the oil, the bleach doesn't do that as well. The allergen is not a bacteria so there does not seem to be any particular advantage to using bleach.

On Mar 17, 2001

I don't use the bleach water because of the peanut - that's what we use for all cleaning. I scrub really well because I've always heard it's the scrubbing that breaks down the proteins. Sorry I didn't clarify...

Rebekah

On Mar 19, 2001

Thanks for your ideas, Yes I have 2 epi-pens and my son who is with me (he's 12) and ne of the teachers know how to use it should the need arise. Also, we use 409 to clean the tables after eating, anyone know if that will work to clean them or do we need toi do both soap and water and then the 409? How do I copy this to another board this is allvery know to me? thanks Barb

Related