son\'s 1st peanut reaction story

Posted on: Thu, 10/21/2004 - 12:13pm
terrade's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/21/2004 - 09:00

My name is Joanne and my son's name is Sebastien. We live in Canada and I thought Sebastien (11 months today) was perfectly healthy until 2 weeks ago. We were wrapping Halloween candies and my step-dad put an Oh!Henry bar and touched his lips with it. I said no but it was too late and done. Sebastien lips started swelling and then his face. We called 9-1-1 and they took like 15 mins. to get there. His whole body was beat red. If I didn't know it was my son I probably would not of recognized him because the poor little guy was so swollen. They gave him a shot in the ambulance and another one at the hospital.. I.V. etc.. We stayed in the hospital overnight and when we got out his bottom lip started swelling again so back to the dr. office for another shot. He was given two types of meds.. benadryl for a week and something else.. o.k. now my questions..
RAST test came back today and doc said highly allergic to peanuts.. Other nuts didn't show up as allergetic so should I still worry about other nuts. We have an EPI pen....
Is it true that every reaction gets worse?
I am sooo scared for when he starts school or sleepovers..
I guess kids can actually die from this which terrifies me..
Is there a certain time limit for the epi pen.. I mean I know asap but if it is not given can they die like within minutes.. ugghhh.. I am just stunned that he has this because no allergies in our family... Thanking you in advance for your support and any info you can give me..
Joanne and Sebastien..

Posted on: Thu, 10/21/2004 - 2:39pm
doreen's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/23/2001 - 09:00

Hi, I am by no means an expert, but we've known about my daughter for four and half years now, so, yes, we do avoid other nuts. There are some here who don't, but the advice I got from two allergists is they could be contaminated and/or there is a chance children could develop an allergy to them. Not worth it for me.
Also, I've read (don't remember where) that the time limit for an Epi is 15 minutes to a half-hour, but I think it really depends on how the reaction progresses. Did your allergist tell you about the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network? It's [url="http://www.faan.org,"]http://www.faan.org,[/url] and maybe you can get better answers to the epipen question there.
Many people here have said that reactions get worse each time. For us, actually, I think it is the truth. I haven't found any medical advice to support that, but that doesn't mean anything.
Sorry about your son's reaction. Keep reading here, but don't get overwhelmed, because labelling is getting better everyday I think. It takes a long time to find what many here refer to as your "comfort zone." It does get better, and, maybe, he'll be one of the 20 percent that outgrows it [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Thu, 10/21/2004 - 3:25pm
mama2aidan's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/09/2004 - 09:00

I am sorry that you are now one of us. This site is so informative. My son is pa among other food allergies. He was 13mo & it happened very similar to your story. Just a baby & very scary. I was given an epi & was always afraid to use it because my question was will it work? The next reaction was at 3 & to eggs. When I gave him the epi it immediately worked. I feel relieved that I have a tool, but I am very careful about his diet. Watch out for other people. Always follow your instincts & I hope all goes well. Good luck!!!

Posted on: Fri, 10/22/2004 - 1:04am
jami's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/02/2004 - 09:00

Sorry about your son's reaction. Everything is so overwhelming at first. My oldest son -now 5. Had a similiar experience when he was 11 months. Please, take your time reading all of the insightful things on this board. I know when I started to read everything I assumed there was no light at the end of the tunnel. My son lives a pretty normal life, just wears an epi-belt, a medic alert bracelet. and the advantage is that he learned to read labels when he was 3 years old (not that we didn't also check them). So he was very interested in reading - since it ment he might actually be abe to eat something new.
When he was first tested tree nuts were all negative. We avoided them, but he sometimes had an item that would be labeled. May contain almonds. - His tests this summer came back that he is allergic to all tree nuts - One was actaully higher than his peanut score. So I would avoid all tree nuts.
------------------
Michelle mom to:
Alex - 5 - peanut, tree nut, asthma, many environmental allergies
Isaac- 1.5 - many environmental allergies

Posted on: Fri, 10/22/2004 - 1:32am
momma2boys's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2003 - 09:00

Hi and welcome! First of all, I would suggest you stay away from ALL nuts. Yes it is a very scary thing to deal with, and yes, kids can die within minutes. That is why it is so important to use the EpiPen immediately. I believe there is a study showing the importance of the time administered. I will try to find it for you.
The most important thing to remember is if you think he is having a reaction or ate something containing peanuts, use it. If he doesn't need it it won't harm him. The problem is when they need it and don't get it.
There is lots of advice here, take it slowly and don't overwhelm yourself. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Posted on: Fri, 10/22/2004 - 4:58am
terrade's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/21/2004 - 09:00

I just wanted to say thank you sooo much for the feedback and support. We really needed it and I am sooo happy to have found this board.
Joanne

Posted on: Fri, 10/22/2004 - 11:16am
doreen's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/23/2001 - 09:00

Don't mean to scare you, but just wanted to clarify by what I meant on the Epi time limit -- if the reaction is progressing fast enough 15 mins or 30 mins might be too LATE. I did not mean wait. If there is a question of whether to use it or not when things are progressing, use it.

Posted on: Fri, 10/22/2004 - 11:34am
momma2boys's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2003 - 09:00

[url="http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/nutrition/articles_p/allergies/"]http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/nutrition/articles_p/allergies/[/url]
Food Allergies Danger of Wait and See
A new study by Hugh Sampson, M.D., associate professor of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University, suggests that deaths or near-deaths of children with food allergies could be averted if parents and other caretakers considered the symptoms serious and obtained immediate medical treatment.
Writing in the New England Journal of Medicine, Dr. Sampson described six cases of fatal anaphylaxis and seven cases of near-fatal anaphylaxis that occurred in children or teens who inadvertently consumed a food allergen.
Although food-induced anaphylaxis occurs only rarely, its symptoms can be life-threatening: itching, hives, wheezing, swelling of the lips and throat, vomiting, loss of consciousness and cardiopulmonary failure.
Dr. Sampson analyzed 13 cases of food-induced anaphylaxis that occurred in persons two to 17 years old, most of whom lived in three major metropolitan areas. All of the individuals had asthma and a history of anaphylactic reactions to food. All 13 reactions were to common food allergens-tree nuts, peanuts, eggs or milk.
In most of the cases, the allergens were found in commercially prepared food products that had been appropriately labeled. But the foods were given to the individuals out of the package, who consumed them without knowing their ingredients.
Four of the six cases of fatal food anaphylaxis occurred while the children and teens were at school. Symptoms began three to 30 minutes after eating the allergen and became severe between 20 minutes and two and one-half hours later. In three cases, epinephrine had been prescribed for the patients but was not available during the reaction.
Epinephrine is a hormone that counteracts the symptoms of anaphylaxis by raising blood pressure and opening the air passages to the lungs. Available by prescription, the medication is contained in a pen-like instrument that can be readily injected by pressing the point against a person's thigh.
The seven near-fatal cases of anaphylaxis occurred at private homes, mostly at those of friends or relatives. Although epinephrine was not administered immediately, all patients did receive it before their anaphylactic symptoms became severe.
According to Sampson, the study points to the need for parents, physicians, school personnel, day-care providers and others to take food allergy more seriously.
"Because there are so many people today who claim to have food allergies, many physicians have become Odesensitized' to taking their symptoms seriously," Sampson said. "Those few with true food allergies must be given appropriate medical attention and should be instructed to take epinephrine immediately after experiencing a reaction."
In an accompanying editorial, John Yunginger, M.D., of the Mayo Clinic, said that children over the age of seven can be taught to inject themselves with epinephrine. But, some state laws delay life-saving treatment by prohibiting nonmedical personnel from administering the drug.
Reprinted from the International Food Information Council Foundation, 1999.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...