Hi everyone! I wanted to alert you all of a scary situation that happened to me today and hopefully you can avoid it in your life. I have had a PA for my entire life. I do all things possible to avoid peauts and nuts and have not had to use my epi-pen (Thank goodness!) I never go to Sonic (fast food chain), but happened to pass by it on my way home and decided to stop for a milkshake. I have had plenty of of milkshakes in my 30 years of life from fast food restaurants and never had a problem.
I ordered a strawberry milkshake, paid and went on my way. I was driving and a quarter of the way through mynshake when i felt something odd in my mouth and immediately tasted peanut! I spit out the nut and the shake in my mouth. Thankfully I was near a local hospital so I pulled into the parking lot just in case I were to have a severe reaction.
I investigated the item I spit out and determined it was either a small amount of peanut covered in chocolate or peanut butter covered in chocolate. I think because the drink was frozen it prevented the whole shake from being contaminated. Of course I threw out the rest of the shake, and called Sonic to report what happened and the severity of the situation.
The manager offered for me to go back and get a new strawberry shake as well as a refund for the one I bought. I politely (or not so politely) declined and said I would never be returning to a Sonic.
The moral of the story is that Sonic either reuses the scoops for ice cream or does not properly clean the mixing machine between shakes. I am lucky that I did not swallow the peanut and only had a localized reaction in my mouth which went away with 2 Benadryl.
Please please please be cautious! And only go to restaurants that do not reuse mixing materials between shakes.
Thank you for reading.
By lanna on Jul 28, 2013
This happened to us at Dairy Queen. The teen who made the milk shake had not cleaned the sleeve that pours the shake into the cup. Fortunately an employee was also a grade school teacher, because I couldn't get the teens who worked there to understand how serious this problem is.
By MKBarcl68 on Aug 3, 2013
Sonic is definately an AVOID at all costs chain!! They have open containers of nuts in their stores. So anybody with severe allergies to PN/TN...BEWARE!!....
By alexakay on Aug 3, 2013
I am so thankful that you posted this. We don't live by a Sonic anymore, but this kind of information needs to be shared with eveyrone. Cross contamination can be such a problem! I am glad that you didn't swallow the peanut and that the reaction was able to be controlled by the Benadryl.
By aagaardians on Sep 21, 2013
NO! They are NOT safe... My hubby and I went to one for a "date afternoon" (okay, he was job hunting, so not really a date, but we have 2 little ones, so it was kind of like a date). Our 3 year old son has a PA but he was with a friend, so we thought we'd stop and grab a shake. While we were waiting in the drive through, not ONE person cleaned the shake mixer between shakes, they just jabbed the cups up in there and went a-mixin... So, NO, Sonic is absolutely not safe. But we steer clear of places that have peanuts in them at all when our kids are with us, just to be safe...I don't want to put the life of my kiddo in the hands of someone who might be having a tough day, or just not understand the severity.
By tep55 on Apr 3, 2014
I too have experienced a PA reaction at Sonic from a vanilla milkshake. I concur with everyone's comments - if you're a PA sufferer, don't go there!