severity of an allergy......


My dd tested postive to egg, peanut and some tree nuts. This was a skin prick test and the number on all was a 2. I was sure she had outgrown her egg allergy because she has had, in the past baked products with egg, like a cake or something with only 1 or 2 eggs. No problems. She also used to eat mayonnaise. There is a skin reaction if she has something like cheesecake or frenchtoast, things with a lot of egg in it. (hives). She also tested positive to milk when she was little, but still had milk products with no problems. These products were given to her by her grandmother. (nice huh? but it does make me wonder.) I never gave her any of these. She outgrew milk allergy. Can an allergic child still handle a small amount of an allergen? I have kept her totallly away from all and any kind of eggs for a year now. The allergist will retest in 2 years for the egg and said she probably would not outgrow the peanut or nut. I guess I also didn't take egg or milk allergy as a severe or life threatening allergy like I do peanut or nut. (please, no flaming!) Her dad is also allergic to peanut and nut and I have seen how bad it can be. Tamie

On Nov 2, 2002

Tami, I would say that repeated exposure to the allergen in small amounts will only likely increase the allergy to egg. Just my personal opinion, I'm not a doctor but my dd is anaphylactic to egg (both parts of the egg). The only exposure that she ever had to egg was the amount present in Gerber foods that have egg noodles, and the Gerber vanilla custard pudding (also has egg). By the time she turned a year old and I gave her her first bite of actual egg, she promptly spit it out and then vomited for the rest of the day. So now she's anaphylactic and it's my opinion that it was the small amounts that she was ingesting in those Gerber foods that slowly built this allergy up to something so big.

If you know your DD is allergic to egg, I'd continue to eliminate every source of egg in her diet, until such time that she is cleared of this allergy by a doctor. I've read that the only way to outgrow it completely is strict avoidance, so I hope I'm doing our DD a favor by things being difficult now. There's so much she can't have, but I hope that it'll give her immune system time to further mature and that she will have a real hope of outgrowing this allergy.

HTH Vanessa

On Nov 3, 2002

My daughter is allergic to milk, eggs, and peanuts. The only time I ever had to use the Epipen, it was for egg. If I were you I would completely refrain from giving eggs, because even if she doesn`t have a reaction to a small amount, each exposure decreases their chance of outgrowing it. About the grandmother who gave her egg against your instructions, it is obviously your decision, but anyone who ignores my instructions about my daughter`s food allergies is not allowed to babysit her. This means a lot of people can`t babysit her, but I`m not going to give anyone a second chance to risk my daughter`s life.