Safe Vitamins?

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 9:21am
KaitlinsMom's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/25/2005 - 09:00

Does anyone have any suggetions on safe vitamins? I did a search and found some people saying that Flinstones were ok but I called them this mourning after purchasing some and a rep. from Bayer Corp stated that while the product did not intentionally contain any peanut ingrediants it was made in a facility that processed peanut containing items.... So now I have decided not to try these. Just wanted to see if anyone had found any safe options. Thanks

------------------

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 9:48am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

We have used Poly-Vi-Sol (drops) and Li'l Critter Gummy Vites.
If you do a search on vitamins, I think there is a recent thread on this topic.
Cathy
------------------
Mom to 7 yr old PA/TNA daughter and 3 1/2 yr old son who is allergic to eggs.

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 1:00pm
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

rhino gummy vitamins are definitely made in a nut-free facility. (i confirmed this again earlier this week when i bought new vitamins for my dd).

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 1:05pm
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

in my area, lil critters have a "made in peanut facility" warning.

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 1:53pm
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

Yes- out here, too.
Oddly enough, though, the [i]gummy[/i] Flintstones were okay... at least for pn, tn, and egg. Not dairy, fish, or soy, as I recall.
Several people here use the gumball vitamins-- I forget the brand.

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 8:18pm
Gilli011's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/05/2004 - 09:00

Hi, I called Jamieson's this week about the Aurthur and Calliou chewable mulitvitamin and received the response that both are safe for pa and tna people.
Cheers,
Gilli

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 12:28am
leers's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/09/2001 - 09:00

I too have difficulty finding vitamins. We do us Swiss Children's Vitamins but they are hard to find. I have read the ingredients on other vitamins and I am just not happy with the EXTRA ingredients/preservatives that they put in the vitamin. Swiss Children's have no artifical colouring or preservatives but like I said are hard to find.
Pam

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 1:00am
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

you can order the rhino gummy vitamins on the company website: [url="http://www.nutritionnow.com"]www.nutritionnow.com[/url]
(don't order any of the "chews" though. they are made in a separate facility that does have nut products.)

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 1:28am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by shoshana18:
[b]in my area, lil critters have a "made in peanut facility" warning.[/b]
That's very interesting...
The large jar (220 vitamins) I have from Costco has a "made in facility" warning for wheat (gluten) and milk.
It also says that the product contains no wheat (gluten), milk, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Cathy

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 2:07am
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Momcat:
[b] That's very interesting...
The large jar (220 vitamins) I have from Costco has a "made in facility" warning for wheat (gluten) and milk.
It also says that the product contains no wheat (gluten), milk, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Cathy[/b]
i just don't trust that lil critters are safe. the label you have is inconsistent -- it says that it is made in a facility with milk, and then the next line says that it contains no milk. they shouldn't label that it contains NO milk if it's made in a facility with milk, in my opinion.
anyway, that's why i decided to go with the rhino vitamins.

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 10:43am
KaitlinsMom's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/25/2005 - 09:00

Thanks Everyone

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 4:51pm
singleparent's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/06/2006 - 09:00

Anyone know about Costco chewables? They only say wheat and gluten free on the bottle.
I did see corn and orange in them.
------------------
Mom (asthma, allergic to cocoa beans, citrus, dairy)
5 year old peanut allergy/dairy allergy/asthma
8 year old dairy intollerant/asthma

Posted on: Sun, 09/10/2006 - 1:12am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by shoshana18:
[b] i just don't trust that lil critters are safe. the label you have is inconsistent -- it says that it is made in a facility with milk, and then the next line says that it contains no milk. they shouldn't label that it contains NO milk if it's made in a facility with milk, in my opinion.[/b]
Well, I should probably call to be sure, but when I read that label I was happy because to me it means that they are labelling well and if there were peanuts/nuts in the facility, that would have been on the label. The way I read it, "contains no milk" means that none of the ingredients contain milk.
Cathy

Posted on: Sun, 09/10/2006 - 4:07am
mommyofmatt's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/12/2004 - 09:00

The Lil Critter Gummy Vites we have say "made in same facility as wheat and milk", but they state on "separate equipment". That sounded good to me. So far so good...and ds does sometimes react to stuff on shared equipment with milk with hives.
Sounds like the labels can vary regionally huh? Meg
[This message has been edited by mommyofmatt (edited September 10, 2006).]

Posted on: Thu, 09/14/2006 - 11:56pm
Jacobs Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/12/2002 - 09:00

Guys, my son is 2 1/2 (PA) and he has been eating Flinstones vitamins without a problem. Since he had been eating them before he was diagnosed with no problem, I never rechecked the ingredients :-(
Does that mean that I should stop giving hinm the Flinstones now that I know or does that mean since he takes them everyday that these dont affect him? opinions please...

Posted on: Fri, 09/15/2006 - 6:44am
Maple Leaf's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/10/2006 - 09:00

I use Yummi Bears by Hero Nutritionals for DD. [url="http://www.yummibears.com"]www.yummibears.com[/url]
They are free of peanuts. I did email them asking if peanuts shared the machine or not and this is the response:
"All of our products are completely allergen free, however, there may
from time to time, be peanuts in the facility, but the lines are never
cross contaminated."
For us, it has worked well!

Posted on: Sat, 09/16/2006 - 3:49pm
xoxstacey's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/08/2006 - 09:00

I take Materna vitamins (prenatal vitamins) because I am still breastfeeding. Are these safe for me to take with my PA? I never thought vitamins to be unsafe... This is sooo frustrating. I am so new to this....

Posted on: Tue, 09/26/2006 - 5:57am
xoxstacey's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/08/2006 - 09:00

I just looked up Materna prenatal vitamins the Centrum brand and listed under facts they state that this product DOES NOT contain peanut oil. This makes me feel a lot better since my daughter is 5 months and nursing so I am still taking these.... it wouldn't contain traces of nuts or peanuts would it? I am sure they would say.... hahaha I am so freekin pariniod now!!

Posted on: Tue, 09/26/2006 - 6:42am
jtolpin's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2003 - 09:00

We use Flintstones [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Jason
------------------
[b]* Obsessed * [/b]

Posted on: Tue, 09/26/2006 - 7:49am
xoxstacey's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/08/2006 - 09:00

I use flinestones too for my kiddies but Materna prenatal centrum brand for myself while nursing (but have since stopped when I heard some vitamins are safe) does anyne here know if they are safe??? I know for the website they do not use peanutoil... so does that make them safe?

Posted on: Tue, 09/26/2006 - 1:03pm
Yonit's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/24/2002 - 09:00

from the Yummi Bear website:
"Are the Yummi Bears products safe for children and adults with allergies?
Our products are produced in an allergen free room, however, Federal law requires that we state they are produced in a facility that also produces peanut products. HOWEVER, the products are NOT produced on the same line or in the same area. Although this statement has just recently appeared on our packages, NOTHING has changed in the way or place it's been manufactured. In other words, if your child has been taking the Yummi Bears supplements and has not had any adverse effects, you are fine to continue. If you have any questions, please call customer service at 1-800-500-HERO (4376)"

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 9:48am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

We have used Poly-Vi-Sol (drops) and Li'l Critter Gummy Vites.
If you do a search on vitamins, I think there is a recent thread on this topic.
Cathy
------------------
Mom to 7 yr old PA/TNA daughter and 3 1/2 yr old son who is allergic to eggs.

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 1:00pm
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

rhino gummy vitamins are definitely made in a nut-free facility. (i confirmed this again earlier this week when i bought new vitamins for my dd).

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 1:05pm
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

in my area, lil critters have a "made in peanut facility" warning.

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 1:53pm
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

Yes- out here, too.
Oddly enough, though, the [i]gummy[/i] Flintstones were okay... at least for pn, tn, and egg. Not dairy, fish, or soy, as I recall.
Several people here use the gumball vitamins-- I forget the brand.

Posted on: Fri, 09/08/2006 - 8:18pm
Gilli011's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/05/2004 - 09:00

Hi, I called Jamieson's this week about the Aurthur and Calliou chewable mulitvitamin and received the response that both are safe for pa and tna people.
Cheers,
Gilli

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 12:28am
leers's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/09/2001 - 09:00

I too have difficulty finding vitamins. We do us Swiss Children's Vitamins but they are hard to find. I have read the ingredients on other vitamins and I am just not happy with the EXTRA ingredients/preservatives that they put in the vitamin. Swiss Children's have no artifical colouring or preservatives but like I said are hard to find.
Pam

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 1:00am
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

you can order the rhino gummy vitamins on the company website: [url="http://www.nutritionnow.com"]www.nutritionnow.com[/url]
(don't order any of the "chews" though. they are made in a separate facility that does have nut products.)

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 1:28am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by shoshana18:
[b]in my area, lil critters have a "made in peanut facility" warning.[/b]
That's very interesting...
The large jar (220 vitamins) I have from Costco has a "made in facility" warning for wheat (gluten) and milk.
It also says that the product contains no wheat (gluten), milk, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Cathy

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 2:07am
shoshana18's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Momcat:
[b] That's very interesting...
The large jar (220 vitamins) I have from Costco has a "made in facility" warning for wheat (gluten) and milk.
It also says that the product contains no wheat (gluten), milk, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Cathy[/b]
i just don't trust that lil critters are safe. the label you have is inconsistent -- it says that it is made in a facility with milk, and then the next line says that it contains no milk. they shouldn't label that it contains NO milk if it's made in a facility with milk, in my opinion.
anyway, that's why i decided to go with the rhino vitamins.

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 10:43am
KaitlinsMom's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/25/2005 - 09:00

Thanks Everyone

Posted on: Sat, 09/09/2006 - 4:51pm
singleparent's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/06/2006 - 09:00

Anyone know about Costco chewables? They only say wheat and gluten free on the bottle.
I did see corn and orange in them.
------------------
Mom (asthma, allergic to cocoa beans, citrus, dairy)
5 year old peanut allergy/dairy allergy/asthma
8 year old dairy intollerant/asthma

Posted on: Sun, 09/10/2006 - 1:12am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by shoshana18:
[b] i just don't trust that lil critters are safe. the label you have is inconsistent -- it says that it is made in a facility with milk, and then the next line says that it contains no milk. they shouldn't label that it contains NO milk if it's made in a facility with milk, in my opinion.[/b]
Well, I should probably call to be sure, but when I read that label I was happy because to me it means that they are labelling well and if there were peanuts/nuts in the facility, that would have been on the label. The way I read it, "contains no milk" means that none of the ingredients contain milk.
Cathy

Posted on: Sun, 09/10/2006 - 4:07am
mommyofmatt's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/12/2004 - 09:00

The Lil Critter Gummy Vites we have say "made in same facility as wheat and milk", but they state on "separate equipment". That sounded good to me. So far so good...and ds does sometimes react to stuff on shared equipment with milk with hives.
Sounds like the labels can vary regionally huh? Meg
[This message has been edited by mommyofmatt (edited September 10, 2006).]

Posted on: Thu, 09/14/2006 - 11:56pm
Jacobs Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/12/2002 - 09:00

Guys, my son is 2 1/2 (PA) and he has been eating Flinstones vitamins without a problem. Since he had been eating them before he was diagnosed with no problem, I never rechecked the ingredients :-(
Does that mean that I should stop giving hinm the Flinstones now that I know or does that mean since he takes them everyday that these dont affect him? opinions please...

Posted on: Fri, 09/15/2006 - 6:44am
Maple Leaf's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/10/2006 - 09:00

I use Yummi Bears by Hero Nutritionals for DD. [url="http://www.yummibears.com"]www.yummibears.com[/url]
They are free of peanuts. I did email them asking if peanuts shared the machine or not and this is the response:
"All of our products are completely allergen free, however, there may
from time to time, be peanuts in the facility, but the lines are never
cross contaminated."
For us, it has worked well!

Posted on: Sat, 09/16/2006 - 3:49pm
xoxstacey's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/08/2006 - 09:00

I take Materna vitamins (prenatal vitamins) because I am still breastfeeding. Are these safe for me to take with my PA? I never thought vitamins to be unsafe... This is sooo frustrating. I am so new to this....

Posted on: Tue, 09/26/2006 - 5:57am
xoxstacey's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/08/2006 - 09:00

I just looked up Materna prenatal vitamins the Centrum brand and listed under facts they state that this product DOES NOT contain peanut oil. This makes me feel a lot better since my daughter is 5 months and nursing so I am still taking these.... it wouldn't contain traces of nuts or peanuts would it? I am sure they would say.... hahaha I am so freekin pariniod now!!

Posted on: Tue, 09/26/2006 - 6:42am
jtolpin's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2003 - 09:00

We use Flintstones [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Jason
------------------
[b]* Obsessed * [/b]

Posted on: Tue, 09/26/2006 - 7:49am
xoxstacey's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/08/2006 - 09:00

I use flinestones too for my kiddies but Materna prenatal centrum brand for myself while nursing (but have since stopped when I heard some vitamins are safe) does anyne here know if they are safe??? I know for the website they do not use peanutoil... so does that make them safe?

Posted on: Tue, 09/26/2006 - 1:03pm
Yonit's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/24/2002 - 09:00

from the Yummi Bear website:
"Are the Yummi Bears products safe for children and adults with allergies?
Our products are produced in an allergen free room, however, Federal law requires that we state they are produced in a facility that also produces peanut products. HOWEVER, the products are NOT produced on the same line or in the same area. Although this statement has just recently appeared on our packages, NOTHING has changed in the way or place it's been manufactured. In other words, if your child has been taking the Yummi Bears supplements and has not had any adverse effects, you are fine to continue. If you have any questions, please call customer service at 1-800-500-HERO (4376)"

More Community Posts

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

create a new community post
Latest Post by sunshinestate Mon, 11/11/2019 - 1:39pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by absfabs Mon, 11/11/2019 - 1:28pm
Comments: 2
Latest Post by absfabs Mon, 11/11/2019 - 1:23pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by Italia38 Fri, 11/08/2019 - 12:10pm
Comments: 4
Latest Post by Italia38 Fri, 11/08/2019 - 11:47am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by sunshinestate Thu, 11/07/2019 - 3:43pm
Comments: 4
Latest Post by sunshinestate Thu, 11/07/2019 - 2:48pm
Comments: 7
Latest Post by penelope Tue, 11/05/2019 - 3:44pm
Comments: 12
Latest Post by penelope Tue, 11/05/2019 - 3:35pm
Comments: 13
Latest Post by absfabs Tue, 11/05/2019 - 2:11pm
Comments: 6
Latest Post by absfabs Tue, 11/05/2019 - 2:09pm
Comments: 5
Latest Post by chicken Tue, 11/05/2019 - 12:06pm
Comments: 5
Latest Post by sunshinestate Mon, 11/04/2019 - 1:44pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by sunshinestate Thu, 10/31/2019 - 11:20am
Comments: 2
Latest Post by penelope Wed, 10/30/2019 - 11:19am
Comments: 8
Latest Post by BD Wed, 10/30/2019 - 11:18am
Comments: 5

More Articles

Anaphylactic shock (A-nuh-fih-LAK-tik shok): A severe and sometimes life-threatening immune system reaction to an antigen that a person has been...

One of the most difficult things for a parent to do is determine whether his or her toddler has a cold or a...

You no doubt have your own way of teaching people about your child’s food allergy, a way that suits your temperament, and style of communication....

Reliable peanut allergy statistics are not that easy to come by. There is a lot of available research on food allergies in general but not too...

Most people know that to enjoy whatever food safety accommodations an airline offers they need to inform the airline of their allergy prior to...

More Articles

More Articles

A 504 plan* documents food allergy accommodations agreed to by parents and their child’s school. Plans are typically created during a 504 meeting...

If there is a child at your children's school allergic to peanuts, the school probably discourages or may not allow peanut products to be brought...

If you are on a budget, but you need to wear some sort of notification that you have a peanut...

Unless we consciously carve out time for self-care, constant food allergy management can slowly erode our sense of well-being. Signs of allergy-...

Peanuts cause more severe food allergic reactions than other foods, followed by shellfish, fish, tree nuts and eggs. Although there is only a...

If you avoid peanuts, it’s likely you know the joy of cashews. Slightly sweet and smooth in texture, cashews provide not only relief to those with...

The prevalence of food allergy has dramatically increased over the past two to three decades, and not just among children. Preliminary results...

When someone in the family is diagnosed with a food allergy, a choice must be made whether to ban the problem food or foods from the home. The...

Looking for a fun way to share what you know about your own food allergies? Or are you hoping to educate the people around you in a fun way about...

According to the results of a new study, children lacking Vitamin D may be more susceptible to food allergies. Researchers working at the Albert...

If you or your child has a peanut or nut allergy, identifying the presence of nuts in food becomes a priority, but what if the written or spoken...

Soap allergies can cause a lot of discomfort and itching. If you suddenly develop a rash or bumps on your skin, you may suspect that you have an...

Even professionals can have difficulty keeping up with the constant flow of updated information available in their field. A survey study presented...

People with pollen allergies can develop allergic reactions to fresh fruits, vegetables and/or nuts. This is called the pollen-food allergy...

There are more "peanut-free" products than ever on the supermarket shelves. This means more choices than ever for peanut-allergic shoppers and...