Safe Self Tanner?

Posted on: Sun, 04/02/2006 - 3:37pm
MommyMegan's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/07/2005 - 09:00

I need a safe self bronzer/tanner. I'm soo pale right now and tanning beds are out, due to being pregnant, and not wanting anything harmful getting to me or the baby.

I'm PA/TN. Any suggestions?

Posted on: Mon, 04/03/2006 - 2:49am
Timmysmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/16/2003 - 09:00

I absolutely love and highly recommend Jergen's Natural Glow. I don't have a bottle right now in the house to check the label for you unfortunately. Last year in my area they couldn't keep it on the store shelves and when they did have it, they limited it to two bottles per customer in my Walmart! I saw they now have one just for faces that's new this year, and I plan on getting it. It's a daily moisturizer, you put it anywhere you would like to have color. Within a week, you will see a difference. Be really careful not to use too much around your knees, elbows, ankles and feet and any areas where you may have dry skin. Wait for it to dry completely before putting socks or shoes on (I messed up my feet the first time I used it). It costs around $5-$6. Good luck, and I hope you like it! All my friends loved it last year too. I plan on starting to use it next month!

Posted on: Mon, 04/03/2006 - 4:41am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Timmysmom:
[b]I absolutely love and highly recommend Jergen's Natural Glow. I don't have a bottle right now in the house to check the label for you unfortunately. Last year in my area they couldn't keep it on the store shelves and when they did have it, they limited it to two bottles per customer in my Walmart! I saw they now have one just for faces that's new this year, and I plan on getting it. It's a daily moisturizer, you put it anywhere you would like to have color. Within a week, you will see a difference. Be really careful not to use too much around your knees, elbows, ankles and feet and any areas where you may have dry skin. Wait for it to dry completely before putting socks or shoes on (I messed up my feet the first time I used it). It costs around $5-$6. Good luck, and I hope you like it! All my friends loved it last year too. I plan on starting to use it next month![/b]
hiya - I'm PA and TNA too. I like the Jergen's Natural Glow too...I use the Fair/Light one. It does build nice color if you use everyday, and is forgiving to how you put it over. I just slather it on, not too light, not too heavy, and keep rubbing it in until it disappears. It's not heavy at all for a moisturizer...but it takes a good 30 minutes to completely feel "dry" I shave or exfoliate before I put it on, otherwise yes, you can get darker knees or elbows...but if you do you can exfoliate over those spots and it all works fine. I haven't tried the face one yet...I get some good color just by being out for 15 minutes in the morning walking from my car to work, so I just use it on my legs, which never-ever get any color at all!
I'm not sure if it has a pregnancy warning on it though, you might want to call Jergen's.
[url="http://www.jergens.com/products/index.asp?action=viewProduct&id=15"]http://www.jergens.com/products/index.asp?action=viewProduct&id=15[/url]
These are the chemicals you'll have to ask about, or Google for w/ pregnant:
"This product contains Erythrulose and Dihydroxyacetone (DHA). Although DHA is found in common sunless tanners, Erythrulose is not. Erythrulose is typically used in prestigious department store brand facial sunless tanning products. "
oh - and it has a fairly strong smell...not bad, but just strong
Adrienne
------------------
30-year old survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Mon, 04/03/2006 - 5:44am
2BusyBoys's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/03/2004 - 09:00

If you choose the Jergen's Natural Glow I would recommend trying it on a small area before using it all over. I am not pa/tna but I did develop hives on my legs while using this product. I'm not sure what caused it but they went away when I stopped using it. I usually don't have a problem with lotions, etc.

Posted on: Wed, 04/12/2006 - 7:46pm
Rach's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/01/2001 - 09:00

Hi, I doubt the same products are available outsied the UK (I have no idea) but I have used Dove self tanning moisturiser that gradually builds colour, and Soltan fake tan - that one is a chain store brand so definitely not outside the UK, but might be useful if any UK members were wondering.
I have to say I am a self tan addict, I use the moisturiser every day!
Take care
Rach

Posted on: Sat, 05/27/2006 - 4:44am
Jodi's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2000 - 09:00

I use Jergens too. I used it last summer while I was pregnant with no problems also. I do agree that the smell is strong though, kinda got on my nerves, but that could have just been a pregnancy thing cuz smells always bothered me then.

Posted on: Sat, 05/27/2006 - 7:22am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

...Neutrogena just came out with a product similar to the Jergens Glow stuff - moisturizer with just a smidge of self-tanner. It read as safe (for me) and it doesn't smell too bad...I like the smell better than the Jergens (which smells like self-tanner)
Adrienne
------------------
30-year old survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Thu, 06/29/2006 - 2:07pm
erik's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by ajgauthier:
[b]...Neutrogena just came out with a product similar to the Jergens Glow stuff - moisturizer with just a smidge of self-tanner. It read as safe (for me) and it doesn't smell too bad...I like the smell better than the Jergens (which smells like self-tanner)
Adrienne
[/b]
Nancy loves the new Neutrogena self tanner too. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] Although I don't use self tanners [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/tongue.gif[/img]

Posted on: Mon, 04/03/2006 - 2:49am
Timmysmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/16/2003 - 09:00

I absolutely love and highly recommend Jergen's Natural Glow. I don't have a bottle right now in the house to check the label for you unfortunately. Last year in my area they couldn't keep it on the store shelves and when they did have it, they limited it to two bottles per customer in my Walmart! I saw they now have one just for faces that's new this year, and I plan on getting it. It's a daily moisturizer, you put it anywhere you would like to have color. Within a week, you will see a difference. Be really careful not to use too much around your knees, elbows, ankles and feet and any areas where you may have dry skin. Wait for it to dry completely before putting socks or shoes on (I messed up my feet the first time I used it). It costs around $5-$6. Good luck, and I hope you like it! All my friends loved it last year too. I plan on starting to use it next month!

Posted on: Mon, 04/03/2006 - 4:41am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Timmysmom:
[b]I absolutely love and highly recommend Jergen's Natural Glow. I don't have a bottle right now in the house to check the label for you unfortunately. Last year in my area they couldn't keep it on the store shelves and when they did have it, they limited it to two bottles per customer in my Walmart! I saw they now have one just for faces that's new this year, and I plan on getting it. It's a daily moisturizer, you put it anywhere you would like to have color. Within a week, you will see a difference. Be really careful not to use too much around your knees, elbows, ankles and feet and any areas where you may have dry skin. Wait for it to dry completely before putting socks or shoes on (I messed up my feet the first time I used it). It costs around $5-$6. Good luck, and I hope you like it! All my friends loved it last year too. I plan on starting to use it next month![/b]
hiya - I'm PA and TNA too. I like the Jergen's Natural Glow too...I use the Fair/Light one. It does build nice color if you use everyday, and is forgiving to how you put it over. I just slather it on, not too light, not too heavy, and keep rubbing it in until it disappears. It's not heavy at all for a moisturizer...but it takes a good 30 minutes to completely feel "dry" I shave or exfoliate before I put it on, otherwise yes, you can get darker knees or elbows...but if you do you can exfoliate over those spots and it all works fine. I haven't tried the face one yet...I get some good color just by being out for 15 minutes in the morning walking from my car to work, so I just use it on my legs, which never-ever get any color at all!
I'm not sure if it has a pregnancy warning on it though, you might want to call Jergen's.
[url="http://www.jergens.com/products/index.asp?action=viewProduct&id=15"]http://www.jergens.com/products/index.asp?action=viewProduct&id=15[/url]
These are the chemicals you'll have to ask about, or Google for w/ pregnant:
"This product contains Erythrulose and Dihydroxyacetone (DHA). Although DHA is found in common sunless tanners, Erythrulose is not. Erythrulose is typically used in prestigious department store brand facial sunless tanning products. "
oh - and it has a fairly strong smell...not bad, but just strong
Adrienne
------------------
30-year old survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Mon, 04/03/2006 - 5:44am
2BusyBoys's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/03/2004 - 09:00

If you choose the Jergen's Natural Glow I would recommend trying it on a small area before using it all over. I am not pa/tna but I did develop hives on my legs while using this product. I'm not sure what caused it but they went away when I stopped using it. I usually don't have a problem with lotions, etc.

Posted on: Wed, 04/12/2006 - 7:46pm
Rach's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/01/2001 - 09:00

Hi, I doubt the same products are available outsied the UK (I have no idea) but I have used Dove self tanning moisturiser that gradually builds colour, and Soltan fake tan - that one is a chain store brand so definitely not outside the UK, but might be useful if any UK members were wondering.
I have to say I am a self tan addict, I use the moisturiser every day!
Take care
Rach

Posted on: Sat, 05/27/2006 - 4:44am
Jodi's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2000 - 09:00

I use Jergens too. I used it last summer while I was pregnant with no problems also. I do agree that the smell is strong though, kinda got on my nerves, but that could have just been a pregnancy thing cuz smells always bothered me then.

Posted on: Sat, 05/27/2006 - 7:22am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

...Neutrogena just came out with a product similar to the Jergens Glow stuff - moisturizer with just a smidge of self-tanner. It read as safe (for me) and it doesn't smell too bad...I like the smell better than the Jergens (which smells like self-tanner)
Adrienne
------------------
30-year old survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Thu, 06/29/2006 - 2:07pm
erik's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by ajgauthier:
[b]...Neutrogena just came out with a product similar to the Jergens Glow stuff - moisturizer with just a smidge of self-tanner. It read as safe (for me) and it doesn't smell too bad...I like the smell better than the Jergens (which smells like self-tanner)
Adrienne
[/b]
Nancy loves the new Neutrogena self tanner too. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] Although I don't use self tanners [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/tongue.gif[/img]

More Community Posts

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

create a new community post
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20
Latest Post by connorc42711054... Fri, 09/20/2019 - 4:42pm
Comments: 0
Latest Post by KeithLaurb Fri, 09/20/2019 - 3:59pm
Comments: 0
Latest Post by blprestangen Mon, 09/16/2019 - 1:06pm
Comments: 12
Latest Post by mom2two Mon, 09/16/2019 - 1:03pm
Comments: 18
Latest Post by Kathryn Mon, 09/16/2019 - 1:02pm
Comments: 7
Latest Post by TheDaddy Mon, 09/16/2019 - 1:01pm
Comments: 9
Latest Post by desmond Mon, 09/16/2019 - 1:00pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by desmond Mon, 09/16/2019 - 12:58pm
Comments: 19
Latest Post by desmond Mon, 09/16/2019 - 12:55pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by TeddyCan Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:32pm
Comments: 10
Latest Post by DTurner Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:31pm
Comments: 5
Latest Post by B.M.18 Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:30pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by abolitionist146 Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:28pm
Comments: 2
Latest Post by nutfreenyc Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:19pm
Comments: 4
Latest Post by AllergicTeen2 Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:18pm
Comments: 2
Latest Post by PeanutAllergy.com Fri, 09/06/2019 - 1:52pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by mom1995 Fri, 09/06/2019 - 1:52pm
Comments: 2

More Articles

Do you think you may have a food intolerance? Many people make it to adulthood without realizing they have a food intolerance because they have...

With only a casual understanding of Oral Immunotherapy (OIT) some people assume that simply feeding children a bit of their problem food, in order...

Babies usually show the same peanut allergy symptoms as older children as adults. It is estimated that up...

If you have a mold allergy, you’ve likely been advised to remove all sources of mold from in and around your house. But it doesn’t stop there....

You may be surprised to find that peanut butter is used to make many products. Someone who has a peanut...

More Articles

More Articles

What if, while attending a summertime family picnic, a food-allergic child shows signs of anaphylaxis. In a panicked instant, adults realize the...

Are the signs of nut allergies different than those of peanut allergies? Many people who have an allergic reaction after eating a peanut butter...

There is much buzz in the news about the potential health benefits of fecal transplants, and some of that benefit may extend to people with food...

If you or your child has a food allergy, a doctor or allergist might have talked to you about “co-factors.” Allergy co-factors are substances,...

An epinephrine auto-injector provides an emergency dose of epinephrine (adrenaline) to treat life-threatening allergic reactions. Those who have...

Oyster sauce is used for a variety of recipes, including as an earthy dressing for noodles, vegetables, and stir-fries, or as a base for other...

The high incidence of food allergy in children, and the reason many kids eventually...

Parents of children with food allergies often share tips about safe foods, allergy-friendly restaurants, and other experiences and challenges of...

Because food allergies are so common among children today, a great idea for sharing information with other classmates is to incorporate the topic...

When a child is diagnosed with peanut allergy, the implications ripple past the parents to rattle the rest of us - older siblings, grandparents,...

Your best defense against anaphylactic shock is to know what you’re up against. Anaphylaxis is a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction....

Inhalers Sometimes Contain Soy

Many people use inhalers to take the drug albuterol to help their asthma or allergies, and those with COPD...

Some people with shellfish allergy have concerns about consuming sea salt that might be contaminated with traces of shellfish. Though there are...

Nearly 25 percent of children with a peanut allergy will outgrow it. However, there is a small risk...