Reactions from contact with those who had eaten peanut products

Author:
Updated:
Original:

I'm looking for anyone who has had or their children have had reactions from kissing, hugging etc... someone who had peanut products before the contact. I want my son's nursery school, which he will be starting in Sept., to ask the other parents to try to clean their child's hands, mouth and face if they had peanut butter before class. I would like to print off any responses I get here to show the owner(who is wonderful)that this really is a legitimate concern. I would appreciate any help you all can give me and maybe some of you could benefit from this as well. Thanks

On Jul 24, 1999

Yes, I try to avoid any contact (hands/ hugs/ textile) with somebody who has eaten peanuts (that can be several houres before the contact!). My skin (only my face) and eyes become swollen and red after (direct) contact. Only washing with water remove the peanut-traces. I hope this reaction is a help for you.

On Jul 24, 1999

Carrie - We think we may have given our son a mild reaction after eating foods with peanut products and kissing him.

My husband accidently bought ice cream treats in May that contained peanut items. We didn't realize it until he got home so we put the kids to bed for a nap and ate the whole box (2 treats each) to get them out of the house. We felt it was riskier to stick them in the trash that is why we ate them. Within a few hours of kissing Spencer he had a horrible case of the "runs" that lasted several days. He also had diaper rash pretty bad. It looked like burn marks. He also gets this reaction after eating foods with eggs (like frozen waffles). Fresh eggs cause an anaphlatic reaction. Needless to say we don't keep either in our house. It kind of freaks people out that we don't keep any eggs.

I know several of the other parents have had problems with children at preschool kissing their child and causing a reaction.

Good Luck!

------------------ Kelly M Another Mom in Michigan

On Jul 24, 1999

I met a person at the FAN conference who said her husband had eaten a candy containing peanutbutter and then kissed their toddler on the cheek. The child developed a rash on his cheek in shape of the father's lips!

On Jul 24, 1999

Carrie- 2months ago their was a 65 year old man who died in California(he was Nancy Sinatra's ex-husband) He had received mouth to mouth from a MD who tried to revive him after choking, he died because the MD had eaten peanuts prior to giving him mouth to mouth. This was in all of the newspapers and can easily be documented by your allergist. Just recently I learned on this site that Clinque lipsticks have Peanut by products in them. I think that is why my son ended up in the ER a month ago. We couldn't figure out what he could of come in contact with. Yet I do wear Clinque lipstick ! Hope this helps to. !! God Bless

On Jul 24, 1999

Thanks everyone for your replies. I hope to hear from any others who have experienced such reactions. Take care and stay safe!

On Jul 24, 1999

Carrie,

I did a search on this board for "kiss" and about twenty posts came up. One of the posts was an old one from me telling about a reaction our daughter had from a "peanut butter" kiss.

Hope this helps.

Sue in Sunny Arizona

On Jul 25, 1999

Carrie....I posted on the Living with Peanut Allergy Board under Ritas and experience we had with our PA son. He was kissed by my teen daughter who had eaten Ritas PB Italian Ice and had a reaction. Good Luck....Lynda

On Jul 25, 1999

Lou Anne - Your post really got my attention! I wear that brand of lipstick from time to time on special ocassions. Please tell me more about the contents! I have "Honey Gloss", "Pink Chocolate'" and "Blushing Nude." All of which I got as gifts after buying lotion.

I am kind of in a panic as I also put this on my non-PA daughter during dress up times. Thankfully they do not kiss very often!

Thanks for your help!

------------------ Kelly M Another Mom in Michigan

On Jul 25, 1999

Hi Kelly,

See Brenda's post on the thread of "Words to watch out for" on the "Living with Peanut Allergy" board.

I also wear "Pink Chocolate" and have never had a problem with it. Brenda noted that the peanut oil was in the *Lip Gloss* and not in any of the other Clinique products she used.

She posted a phone number for Clinique so we can request an ingredients list from them for our particular products.

Stay Safe.

[This message has been edited by Connie (edited July 25, 1999).]

On Jul 25, 1999

Hi Kelly, I worked for clinque for about a month and they gave me so many lipsticks. I do however have a set of 4 glosses that I wore and that very well could of been what I had on. It scares me so that I have now thrown away all of them being concerned with cross contamination of the plant. By the way Kelly I was shocked to hear that your Spencer also is allergic to eggs... I explained that to my son this morning and he felt so bad and said " Mom, I guess I don't have it so bad... Take care have to go back to work....

On Jul 25, 1999

Hi Kelly, I worked for clinque for about a month and they gave me so many lipsticks. I do however have a set of 4 glosses that I wore and that very well could of been what I had on. It scares me so that I have now thrown away all of them being concerned with cross contamination of the plant. By the way Kelly I was shocked to hear that your Spencer also is allergic to eggs... I explained that to my son this morning and he felt so bad and said " Mom, I guess I don't have it so bad... Take care have to go back to work....

On Jul 25, 1999

Lou Anne - Spencer's egg reaction is how we found out about his peanut allergy. It has made life real interesting to say the least! I am just sorry to say that Spencer's egg/peanut allergy is pretty common among many of the parents who post here.

Thanks everyone for the information on the lip gloss. I went to their website to try and find an ingredient list but there was none. Of course you can buy anything you want. Sounds kind of like the Barney website (from another post). [img]http://client.ibboards.com/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

------------------ Kelly M Another Mom in Michigan

Related