reaction to dogs

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

my 16 month old son just received a class 2 ranking for allegy to dog and 3 for cat. He has never had a reaction that I have noticed to our cat.. however, he has never gotten too close cause the cat hides. He has gotten hives when playing with the dog but I have never noticed anything else. The allergist recommended he not be exposed to the animals. I guess my question is would you give the animals away. The dog is a lab and loves people so I really dont want to just keep her outside. Plus the kids love her and cant leave her alone. I really feel bad about this but want to do what best for my son. What are the implications of his being exposed to an allergen. Will it increase his chances of developing further allergies. or of these getting worse. Will it increase his chances of developing asthma?

On May 22, 2004

YOU DONT HAVE TO GIVE THE POOR DOG AWAY!!!

dogs produce dander, wich people are allergic to and this drops ALL OVER THE PLACE! so even if you DID give ur pooch away , your son would still react!

All you need to do is bath/groom your dog regually as this will REMOVE the dander! also not allowing the dog upstairs/in bedrooms/playrooms might be a good idea!

also, clean your house regually!

you could also take these precautions:

1. After touching the dog for a long time wash hands/face ,change clothing ( so the dander wont be on it!) 2. before AND after touching take a effective antihistimine! hope this helps!

On May 22, 2004

drug your child so that you can keep the dog?!!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmm, I dont think so, there are side effects to any drug, and no one should just glug drugs down there childrens neck!

There are products that you can buy to put on dog and cats skin to reduce allergen levels.

try the endorsed products, on the AllergyUK. websites

I am sure some of these products are avaliable overseas.

Try to reduce the amount of environmental allergens your child comes in to comtact with. Its a major part of caring for an allergic child. It does have a bearing on his reaction to a food allergy. If his body is already fighting huge amounts of his environmental allergens, an exposure to peanut could be quicker reacting.

My I also suggest that you go to your Doc if you plan to give your child daily anti histamine, some like piriton should not be given every day , as they can sometimes 'mask' a reaction to a food allergy, or cause a reaction some time after exposure.

Its a big thing to think about, one of our sons wanted a dog for his birthday, and we settled for a hampster. As they eat peanuts , we had strict rules on the care of this animal, and william learnt how to handle this animal and washing his hands straight away. He also never gave the animal its food. the hampster has since died, but William never had a reaction to his brothers pet.

I hope you can keep your dog. I love dogs, and am waiting for our sons allergy to lesson, but it is getting rather alarming, and children need to breathe!!

good luck sarah

On May 22, 2004

lalow,

The hives your child is having could be from whatever dog food you have for your dog. Some dog food contains peanuts. If you dog licks your child (which I am extremely against but that's another story), there is a good chance that's the reason for your child's hives.

I agree with williamsmummy. Doping up a child at that young of age is completely ridiculous for the sake of keeping your dog.

As far as getting rid of your animals. It's going to be up to you. If your child is constantly sneezing, rubbing eyes, itching, etc. etc. while around your animals, it's probably easiest to get rid of them (give them away). I mean, what's more important, right?

On May 22, 2004

I know bathing a lab is no easy feet (such a big dog) but a weekly bath might help, as well as those dander-wipes I've read about. How about a HEPA-filter for your home?

Our allergist really works with families to exhaust every possibility so they don't have to give up their pets. One of his suggestions to my friend (who as 2 cats and 2 dogs!) was to keep the animals out of the kids' rooms. I bathe my cat weekly during pollen season (he gets pretty pollen-y from sitting on the window sills) and that really helps a lot. He probably looks forward to the end of pollen season even more than we do! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck - I know this is a really tough one.

Amy

On May 22, 2004

I wont keep the dog if my son continues to have reactions; I hate to give him medicines and only do it when necessary. We are going to try to keep the dog though. We happen to be moving to another state in a few weeks and our new house has no carpets. We are going to keep the dog outside and downstairs (limited) and my husband has promised to bathe her weekly. He has also promised to be better about helping me to clean up her hair because she sheds sooo much. There is no question that if our son comes first and we will give the dog away (as sad as that would be) if necessary. But I think in this new house it might be easier to limit the exposure. Thanks for all your responses. We will see how this works.

On May 24, 2004

There is a great dander reducing shampoo called Aller-rx the number on the bottle is 1-877-906-0999. It's about $15 a bottle after shipping, but I was bathing two labs with one bottle and it would last 3 or 4 baths each. I think you can also find the shampoo at online allergy supply stores. Also there is a spray called Allerpet-D which can also be expensive, most vets carry it. I found you could stretch it by putting it in a spray bottle and spritzing it on, helps too for seasonal allergies I think, gets the pollens off the coat. My ds is supposedly severely allergic to dogs, but the only hives I ever noticed were from playing with the dogs after they ate, and sure enough, organic soybeans in the dog food and possibly PN cross contamination. We changed foods and have not had a problem since. We are getting his blood drawn again soon so I hope to see his numbers go down. Also keeping them out of the bedrooms is supposed to help. Good luck.

On Jul 2, 2004

We had a similar situation. When ds was tested, he actually tested at a 3 for dogs. We only had the dog for 1 year, but we had two different doctors that it would really be in the best intrest of our son to give him away. I have always had a dog, so it was hard for me, but I felt TERRIBLE for my husband. He had wanted a dog since he was a little boy and was never allowed to have one. So he picked out our little pug and just fell in love with him. It was so sad the day he had to leave, but for us nothing would come between our dog and my son's health.

On Jul 4, 2004

We ended up keeping the dog. My son hasnt had any reactions to her since we moved to the new house. She is staying in the basement and outside but she seems very happy because we have a great back yard and whenever any of us are out we take her out with us. We go outside ALOT. She also has two older boy neighbors that love to play with her. I think we made the right descision for now.

On Jul 9, 2004

[url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum22/HTML/001892.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum22/HTML/001892.html[/url]

On Jul 28, 2004

I just found your post and hope things are still going well with your son and lab.

My son is severely allergic to dogs (high class 3) and we found out the dog is the trigger for his asthma.

We did have to give our dog away but luckily she is with my inlaws so we do get to see her regularly and doggie sit when they go on vacation.

[This message has been edited by Jacob's Mom (edited July 28, 2004).]

Related