Rating a Peanut Allergy

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

I just happened on this site by accident. I love it and have learned alot from it. My son has a life-threatening PA, EA and Mild Asthma. It is the time of year again when all the worries come up . . . scool time! My question is for those of you who have had your allergies rated. My Allergist will not give us a rating for his allergies but I hear there is one. What are the scales for these, is it like one to ten. Ten being for those who just have to smell the allergin? Can anyone help me with this. Thanks and I look forward to keeping in touch [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

On Sep 25, 2004

Hi DWL, and welcome to the boards. We're going to make this as simple as we can. The Prick test is measured in millimeters (mm), in terms of the size of the welt on the skin after the allergen has been introduced. The greater the number (or larger the welt) the more sever the allergy.

+1 < 5 mm +2 5 to 6 mm +3 7 to 9 mm +4 > 10 mm

For the Cap-Rast blood test.

< .035 Class 0 - Below detection 0.35 - 0.69 Class 1 - Low 0.70 - 3.49 Class 2 - Moderate 3.50 - 17.49 Class 3 - High 17.50 - 49 Class 4 - Very High 50 - 99 Class 5 - Very High > - 100 Class 6 - Very High

Your allergist really should have provided you with this information, but we are happy to help out. If this information is not what you were looking for, just post again and we'll see what we can do.

Brian and Cindy

On Sep 25, 2004

What kind of a test did you have done? I would insist on a copy of the reports. You paid for it, and you have a right to know the results.

On Sep 26, 2004

Thank you Brian and Cindy! He has had both tests, the skin prick and the last two times blood tests. I have to phone the allergist tomorrow for the results and I will be asking him for the rating and if he will not reply I will see another allergist. It would not change anything in our household except for the fact that if the allergy is rated low it would give my husband and I a little less stress. I also hope this answers your question momma2boys. Thanks guys.

On Sep 26, 2004

How big is a mm? Our allergist didnt give DS any class or rating when we first saw him, and he did the SPT. He reacted to egg, which we expected) and peanut, which we didnt expect. He reacted very quickly to the egg and the peanut kinda developed over 20 minutes or so. The doctor came in and ho-hummed over the peanut, and finally decided he had a positive reaction to peanut. The welts were really not quite as big as a pencil eraser, as best I recall.

He was 12 months when we had the SPT, and 20 months when we had the RAST. He as .87 to egg yellow, 9.89 to egg white, and 4.79 to peanuts.

I guess my question is, how many mm is a pencil eraser, so I'd get an "idea" of the rating. We go back to the allergist on 10/8, and I'm going to ask him.

On Sep 27, 2004

Sorry,

I had a link but somehow it's not working here. It showed the wheal sizes etc. etc. I'll be back to try to send it

[This message has been edited by smack (edited September 27, 2004).]

On Sep 27, 2004

I just got the rating from the allergist and he is 3.55 to egg and 63.9 to peanut. The question I have is for Cindy and Brian. Was it a US scale or Canadian you gave me? The receptionist said they were different. We reside in Canada. She was very leary about giving me any info.

On Sep 27, 2004

I would question why you need to know the rating. (although I agree you have a right to know any medical result for your child) It might give you comfort to know the numbers are not that high but the allergy is still there and the caution has to be the same.

It's like being a little bit pregnant.

You still need to practice strict avoidance whether your numbers are high or low.

Maybe you need the numbers for a different reason and I don't understand.

Peggy

On Sep 27, 2004

Welcome DWL,

My allergist (U.S.) also does not give ratings, as he feels that they are essentially useless. His feeling is that there are people who may have a high "rating" and yet have fairly mild reactions, and those with low "ratings" whose reactions are quite severe.

His feeling is that all with positive tests should be treated the same - carefully! It sounds like your allergist probably feels the same way as mine.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you find the boards informative.

Amy

On Sep 27, 2004

DWL,

I'm sorry we are just getting back to you. The information we gave is on the US scale. We can try to find the Canadian information for you, but you may try posting a new topic specifically asking for the Canadian scale. You will probably get a faster result from all our Canadian posters.

You are doing the right thing keeping your DC away from these allergens. Even at low levels, these allergies can be life threatening.

We hope we have been of some help to you. Keep posting,

Brian and Cindy

On Sep 28, 2004

DWL,

Not sure if yours was a CapRast but this should help: [url="http://www.allergysa.org/ige.htm"]http://www.allergysa.org/ige.htm[/url]

On Sep 28, 2004

Hello DWL

I posted the scale my allergist here in Ottawa gave me last year.

I will find the threads, raise them and then edit this to tell you the thread names.

good luck!

deb Here is a link to the page with the peanut scale: [url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum1/HTML/004653.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum1/HTML/004653.html[/url]

In your case, the following would apply:

50 - 100 = class 5 = very high 14 or higher 95-100% chance of an allergic reaction if they consume the allergen

still looking for the egg scale - I know I posted it.....

Found it:

Egg Ige Level ku/L (my son is 5.59)

IgE over 6 ku/L indicates a 95% chance of an allergic reaction occrring on eating egg

IgE over 2 ku/L indicates 90% chance of an allergic reaction occurring on eating egg

IgE of 0.7 ku/L indicates 45% chance of an allergic reaction on eating egg.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by DebO (edited September 28, 2004).]

On Sep 28, 2004

My allergist also is careful about "rating" allergies because he says that scientific studies have shown that the ratings are not very good predictors of severity of reaction. He calls for cap-rasts to be done mainly to monitor the progression of the allergy over time. He clearly told me where the number fell in the distribution of results, but clearly cautioned me not to make too much of the number.

Janet

On Sep 28, 2004

Thank you everyone for your help on this topic. I guess I was misleading myself into believing that the lower the number the less to worry. As you all know it is a constant worry when they are out of your sight. It does make sense that the numbers do not matter.

On Sep 28, 2004

DWL,

We are so glad that you found the information you needed. We had gone to the Living With Peanut Allergies thread, and asked all our other Canadian posters to give you a hand. We hope this didn't upset you. We just wanted to make sure you got the information as fast as possible.

Stick around and join in anywhere,

Brian and Cindy

On Sep 28, 2004

Thank you Cindy and Brian. Knowledge is power [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Related