RAST results--help in interpreting please?

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Hi all,

I just received my son's RAST test results in the mail. His skin test had showed a 2+ peanut. The RAST shows a 3+ peanut. He's negative to walnut, pecan, cashew, and almond, though the doctor is still advising that we not give him any tree nuts at least until age 5.

So does this put him in the middle as far as his likelihood for a reaction?

Thanks!

Amy

On Oct 11, 2006

EDIT

[This message has been edited by NicoleinNH (edited June 09, 2007).]

On Oct 11, 2006

Thanks Nichole...

I knew that the RAST wasn't predictive of severity of reaction... but yes, it seems like he's a class 3. The mail that I received didn't give exact numbers.

I understand what you mean now about the number or class itself not being as useful until I have another reading down the road. Thank you. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

On Oct 12, 2006

I don't know a whole lot about tests result numbers but I do know that each food item has a different reaction number when using the immunocap (or rast). My 2-1/2 year old daughter was just diagnosed with an EA and her number for that test was 20.8. Anything over 7 for egg is considered reactive. She didn't show a PA, but on her skin test she came back positve 4+ for egg and 3 for peanuts and tree nuts. Go figure. The wierd thing is at this point we've never had more than hives, but she has had considerable issues with her tummy hurting. The allergist told me that people respond in all different ways to food allergies and they can affect so many different things. For my daughter, it happens to be her stomach. (and some hives) He just said you never know if the reaction might change or become more severe. Anyway, my husband and I both have multiple seasonal allergies, allergies to antibiotics, my husband has dermagraphism, my 4 year old has mod/severe eczema and my 16 month old son has eczema. So we feel no matter how the results are interpreted we need to avoid these foods so that we don't end up with very severe reactions. (she and my son also have a sensitivity to some preservative or additive and we don't know what yet, anybody know anything about those??)

Related