Questions

Posted on: Tue, 07/27/2004 - 3:37am
Joesmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/15/2004 - 09:00

My son was 12 mo when he ate a PB cookie, and develpoed a hive-like mark from his mouth to his mid chest. No breathing problems. Benedryl took the reaction away.

A few days later, he was skin tested for the big 6 allergies. He developed a big wheal right away to peanut. Nothing to anything else.

Because of the skin reaction, we treat him like the allergy is life threatening. We carry an epi pen, etc. But based on what I have said, do you all think that his is a life-threatening allergy? I have heard of so many babies having their first reaction be anaphylactic one, that I wonder.

Any advice would be appreciated. My doc does not think the rast tests are accurate because of the possibilities of false positives. Thanks!!!

Posted on: Tue, 07/27/2004 - 3:55am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Hi Joesmom.
I developed my allergies as an adult. For years they were just an inconvenience and an embarrassement. Then they were more. They became life threatening.
My son has had reactions to insect venom. His reactions were not life-threatening. BUT, I treat it like it was - he carries an epi-pen at all times.
**********
[i]My own opinion[/i] is that your son's allergies have the potential to be life-threatening. Carry an epi-pen. Avoid all peanuts. Basically - lower the risks.

Posted on: Tue, 07/27/2004 - 4:06am
NutlessMOM's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2003 - 09:00

I totally agree with AnnaMarie. You never know when a reaction can go from minor to severe. It is always better to be safe than sorry. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Wed, 07/28/2004 - 12:41am
smartalyk's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2004 - 09:00

Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a mild peanut allergy. They are unpredictable and can go from mild to anaphylactic life threatening without warning. Yes, I would recommend treating it like it is life-threatening because I believe that every peanut allergy is. Many reactions aren't severe until the second reaction because the first reaction sensitizes the child to the allergen.
Hope that helps and sorry you had this experience.

Posted on: Wed, 07/28/2004 - 9:20am
Going Nuts's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2001 - 09:00

Welcome Joesmom,
I agree with all of the above responses. Unfortunately there is no way of telling who will have a severe reaction and who will have a mild one, so they should all be treated the same. Add to that the fact that they can be unpredictable, and you can see where taking chances can lead.
Also consider this - if you strictly avoid peanuts, your son [b]could[/b] possibly be one of the lucky 20% who outgrow the allergy in time. Wouldn't that be nice? [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Amy

Posted on: Mon, 08/02/2004 - 7:57am
milizard's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/19/2004 - 09:00

I agree with all the postings. Three things to add: 1. You never know what the next reaction may be (mild reaction due to cross-contamination, severe reaction due to a lot ingested, or could be severe due to cross-cont. or a little ingested) - the reaction may be due to the circumstances of what was ingested or the next reaction could build off the first reaction. Always carry Benadryl and 2 epi-pens. 2. If you use an epi-pen, always call 911 and ask for an Advanced Life Support Unit (who carry epinephrine and can administer it). 3. I attended the FAAN Conference in Chicago this past spring - the allergist expert speaking stated the skin test/prick test is more accurate. RAST is more subject to intepretation at the lab - has more varied results. This is a great web site and visit foodallergy.org as well. Best wishes.

Posted on: Sun, 08/29/2004 - 12:36am
Faithfullyhis7's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/25/2004 - 09:00

I don't believe that there is any such thing as a mild peanut allergy. I thought I was allergic to peanuts. I finally went and got tested and my skin test came back negative. Dr. advised me that I wasn't allergic to peanuts. afterwards, I ate peanut butter and Reese's peanut butter cups with no problem. On Halloween last year I was at a group I attended at the hospital, I was eating sugar cookies and found a cookie on my plate that looked like a sugar cookie but it was peanut butter. I took a couple of bites and within 1 or 2 minutes my throat went numb and I felt flushed. Administered Benadryl immediately. Saw Dr. a lil while later and he gave me presidone to counteract any other reactions that I might have later in the day. He sd I had to wait 3 weeks and he would do a skin test which was negative and a rast test which was positive. .15 or less was negative. I was a .16.... Dr. advised could have been false postive, and panic driven, which I was terrified when I realized it was a PB cookie. But, at this point I was told I didn't have an allergy. The Dr will still recommend that you don't eat peanuts and peanut products and carry your epipen in case something happens they don't want to be liable. A couple of weeks prior to eating PB cookie, I ate TOll House choc sandwich cookies and they are "may contains" and my face started itching and I administred Benadryl and was okay. However, I never ate another one of those and started to question the PA again. Since this testing, I have had a cap rast done and it came back a high negative. A few years ago I used to eat at Chick filet and I would itch and had no idea why??? I finally just stopped eating eat! Don't second guess the tests! It sounds like your child definitely has a peanut allergy. UNFORTUATELY!!!! Make sure you always carry 2 epipens wherever you go. I know it is an adjustment to our life styles but one that you have to make. I am playing it safe just in case.

Posted on: Mon, 09/03/2007 - 8:15am
lakeswimr's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/01/2007 - 09:00

For our school the emergency plan from DS's allergist was sufficient but I also submitted a letter from him requesting DS's allergy foods not be used in lessons along with results of all skin and CAP RAST testing.
Skin and CAP RAST testing are only 50% accurate for positive results (that is in people over a year for skin testing and over 6 weeks for CAP RAST testing) and over 90% accurate for negative results. I'm sure this could vary lab to lab. But testing *alone* is generally not recommended as a method to diagnose an allergy. If a person has eaten the food just fine with *no* reaction a positive test is likely a false positive. If a person showed clear reaction to a food and that is combined with a positive test an allergist will likely IMO declare a FA. If the person showed a clear reaction to a food and had a negative test result it is possible this is a false negative. Reaction trumps test and a good allergist will help clear this up.
I would work with your allergist on this and if you aren't satisfied get a 2nd opinion.
Good luck.

Posted on: Mon, 09/03/2007 - 8:24am
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

[url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum7/HTML/003060.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum7/HTML/003060.html[/url]

Posted on: Mon, 09/03/2007 - 8:32am
Gail W's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/06/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by paulette816:
[b]The forms that are signed by the doctor/allergist...ie., allergy action plans....do yours have how the child has been tested? [/b]
No, not on our action plan. Our allergy action plan outines the steps to treat our DD in the event she has allergy sympoms. Our allergist signed it.
Quote:[b]Immunocap, turborast, scratch test, skin test, food challenge, caprast and the results? [/b]
DD has undergone the testing that her allergist deemed appropriate, and that included SPT (full panel) and CAP Rast for peanut. We also elected to have our child undergo a 'contact challenge'. Our allergist did not share any specific testing information with the school because he did not think school staff were trained to interpret that data. He, a board certified allergist, is trained to do that and provide his expertise to the school. Instead, he wrote a letter stating what our daughter was allergic to, what he used to determine his diagnosis, and his recommendations. *We* (DH and I) voluntarily chose to provide the school with a copy of the testing. . . but we were did not feel compelled to do so.
Quote:[b]Also, I've read a couple interesting reports re: inaccuracy of certain tests and inability of certain labs to accurately process results and the overdiagnosis of food allergies. This information is very confusing when trying to validate a diagnosis. What's the truth about the testing, the labs and the overdiagnosis issue? [/b]
I'm confused. I would think the student's physician would provide the diagnosis. If the school has the diagnosis made by a licensed physician, what else c/would the school require? What are you 'validating'? ? ? ?

Posted on: Mon, 09/03/2007 - 8:34am
paulette816's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2004 - 09:00

Thanks to both of you for all that info!

Pages

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...