question about \"sensitivity\" ?

Posted on: Sun, 01/04/2004 - 1:05pm
new2PA's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/18/2003 - 09:00

Just wondering if here is any correllation between the skin prick test and the sensitivity to the allergen. We were positive DS was allergic to eggs when he had the skin prick test, but the PA was a total shock to us. When he had the skin prick test, the egg protein showed up immediately, but the PN was alot slower to develop. In fact, the doctor kinda ho-hummed over it for a while before he said anything about the peanut allergy. I just wondered if there is any relation to how fast he reacted to the peanut and "how sensitive" he is. Any thoughts?

Posted on: Sun, 01/04/2004 - 1:49pm
pjama0502's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/04/2003 - 09:00

When my DS was skin tested for PA he only developed a very small bump. The allergist said normally he would consider the result negative but given that my DS had had a reaction to PB he took it to a CAP RAST test (a blood test). The CAP RAST came back 0.94 which is a low number but nonetheless definitely positive.
Hope this helps,
Jen

Posted on: Mon, 01/19/2004 - 12:38am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Simply re-raising. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------

Posted on: Mon, 01/19/2004 - 11:47am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

My sister is a *slow-reactor*. If she eats something today, it could be 2 days from now that she has a reaction. With skin-prick tests she also reacts slower than is usual. A few foods reacted while she was in the office. When she got home there were a lot more reactions and they were much bigger and redder. She returned to the doctor's office to get the full results of her tests.
Personally, I wouldn't necessarily consider that he is *less* sensitive. He may just take longer to react. If you ever suspect he has (or may have) eaten peanut, watch for a longer period. (Better safe than sorry, right?)

Posted on: Wed, 01/21/2004 - 11:42am
Shawn's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/1999 - 09:00

I had never heard of someone being "less sensitive" to peanuts - always thought that was kind of like being a "little bit pregnant". But I've met two different people recently with children who are only "mildly allergic." One's 3 year old develops hives whenever she eats an actual peanut/pb., but eats M&Ms and other products containing only traces of peanut with no problem. The other parent's 6 year old can eat anything - including peanut butter cookies, etc. - and does not react at all, unless his immune system is weak (e.g., if he has a cold or attack of hay fever). Then, he breaks out in hives. Both parents say they don't feed the children peanuts/peanut butter, but don't worry about cross-contamination or casual contact at this point, though they and the children's allergists are monitoring them carefully.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...